Phone Arena: Moto X (second generation) Review

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Motorola Moto X Review

Motorola didn’t deviate from the recipe it concocted with last year’s model, but in making the new Moto X, they added enough changes and new features to warrant some merit from us. First and foremost, the design is more aggressive than before – complemented by the rich personalization of Moto Maker. Secondly, the phone performs super smoothly. Finally, the unique software features have continued to be kept at a minimum – though, the few that are present have been enhanced enough to our liking.

Add in the fact that it’s sporting a base cost of $99.99 on-contract for the 16GB model, it’s priced to sell and give the competition something to think about. Undercutting its rivals in the price department is one thing, but it’s another when consumers are given direct control of how the phone is designed. Sure, it’s not perfect, but for the things it has to offer, it provides class, simplicity, and elegance to how we use and interact with the phone. Frankly, it’s a hip looking thing that works well. It’s a flagship device here without the flagship ownership cost.

Mdbils484

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
I dont see how it's "priced to sell". A 32G M8 can be had new for $499 on Ebay. A 32g N5 is $399. Heck, troll for an invite and get a 64g OPO for $350. Other than custom design(irrelevant if you use a case) there is no compelling reason to get this phone over the competition.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I dont see how it's "priced to sell". A 32G M8 can be had new for $499 on Ebay. A 32g N5 is $399. Heck, troll for an invite and get a 64g OPO for $350. Other than custom design(irrelevant if you use a case) there is no compelling reason to get this phone over the competition.

Because it's "priced to sell" at $99 on contract. MOST ppl in America still buy their phones in phone stores and this is aggressively priced against that competition.

Plus even with all those options you said....I'm still probably going to go for this over those, and I don't case my phone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Buying outright from the OEM has different connotations in the realms of warranty and trade/exchange/return support.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime. Android Central Moderator.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Can't really compare eBay prices with their normal price. A new or lightly used second generation Moto X will probably go for less than $499 on eBay.

and lol OnePlus One.

Mdbils484

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Can't really compare eBay prices with their normal price. A new or lightly used second generation Moto X will probably go for less than $499 on eBay.

and lol OnePlus One.

Invites are flowing freely on the OPO. With no effort I've had 4 already. It is undeniably the best deal going.

Mdbils484

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Hope you posted a nice selfie.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto G)

Nope, just posted in a thread back in April and got my invite in July. Then they sent me 3 invites to share. It was a very simple process. Received a flawless phone 3 days after ordering.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
What was your personal experience with the process? Mine was flawless.

Why on earth would anybody have to try to earn the privilege of purchasing a phone ???? I mean is having money in hand not enough ? I was seriously considering getting one till I looked into the whole invite thing. That totally turned me off. I wouldn't ask for a invite no matter how cheap it was it could be 100.00. And I still wouldn't go through the invite process.

Posted via the Android Central App

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

That's right, absolutely no compelling reason to get one. Unless you like stock Android with actually useful software additions. Or you like being able to wake up your phone simply by talking to it or waving your hand over it. Or have it be contextually aware if you're in the car without having to download a third-party app. Or have great hand feel and looks that resemble no other phone out there right now.

I love when people attack other phones as if they need validation for their own choice.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
That's right, absolutely no compelling reason to get one. Unless you like stock Android with actually useful software additions. Or you like being able to wake up your phone simply by talking to it or waving your hand over it.
True story. Woke up late on this Saturday morning, got a text message on my Moto G, the phone read the text aloud to me. I replied with my voice and the phone sent the message. Goes back to sleep.

Last edited:

Mdbils484

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
That's right, absolutely no compelling reason to get one. Unless you like stock Android with actually useful software additions. Or you like being able to wake up your phone simply by talking to it or waving your hand over it. Or have it be contextually aware if you're in the car without having to download a third-party app. Or have great hand feel and looks that resemble no other phone out there right now.

I love when people attack other phones as if they need validation for their own choice.

I was making a logical, and as yet unrefuted, argument as to why the phone is priced wrong compared to its peers.

I love it when someone is so blinded by brand loyalty they feel the need to attack others to validate their choice.

Mdbils484

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Why on earth would anybody have to try to earn the privilege of purchasing a phone ???? I mean is having money in hand not enough ? I was seriously considering getting one till I looked into the whole invite thing. That totally turned me off. I wouldn't ask for a invite no matter how cheap it was it could be 100.00. And I still wouldn't go through the invite process.

Posted via the Android Central App

To each his own, but I got a 64g, top spec, premium device delivered to my home for $364.00 tax included. All I had to do was make one post in the forums and the invite showed up in my inbox.