Group SMS in hangouts

shetach

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
In SMS settings of whichever messaging app you use, there should be an option for "Group Messaging: Use MMS to send a single message when the are multiple recipients." Uncheck this box, and whenever you text a group, you are sending individual messages to every person.

When you unchecked this option in the newest releases of hangouts, you cannot send messages to more than one person. Maybe in other messaging apps it works. The discussion is about getting it to work in hangouts

Posted via Android Central App

N Rowe

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I sadly have the same problem. And to make things even stranger, my friend and I both have the Nexus 4, identical versions of software and she has the group messaging option in hangout settings, under SMS. Mine is missing that entirely and under Advanced, the first option is to delete old messages. Very weird. Anyone figure this out yet?

When you unchecked this option in the newest releases of hangouts, you cannot send messages to more than one person. Maybe in other messaging apps it works. The discussion is about getting it to work in hangouts

Posted via Android Central App

shetach

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
With the last update this ses to be hit or miss. Sometimes it works for me, sometimes it doesn't. In general, the app is so laggy that I don't rely on it anymore for sms.

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I sadly have the same problem. And to make things even stranger, my friend and I both have the Nexus 4, identical versions of software and she has the group messaging option in hangout settings, under SMS. Mine is missing that entirely and under Advanced, the first option is to delete old messages. Very weird. Anyone figure this out yet?
My Moto X has settings options like your friend's. Are you sure you are on the same version of Hangouts? Mine is v2.5.81636427. I didn't used to have the 'Send SMS from' option in settings, but do now. They have updated Hangouts a lot lately.

Lucky Dube

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
I too have the same issue. You can only send group SMS through the carrier's number, and not through Google Voice.. Hopefully a fix is due out soon.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I too have the same issue. You can only send group SMS through the carrier's number, and not through Google Voice.. Hopefully a fix is due out soon.

I don't think Google Voice supports group messaging right now.

Peacen1k

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
So, anyone able to get this working in Hangouts?

Kind of annoying having to go to a separate sms app just to set up an sms group.

Edit: nevermind, official response from Google is that this feature has been removed from Hangouts. The Hangouts dev team never did impress as a particularly intelligent bunch, this just seals it.

Last edited: