Will Sprint not get the Moto X 2014?

nydog

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: Love the Moto X, but disappointed in Motorola.

Let me start if by apologizing if my venting offends anyone. But that's all I'm doing. Flame away if you want. My 1st Gen X is the best phone I have ever owned, but I have serious doubts about where Motorola is heading.

My disappointment with Motorola stems from two things that happened this week. First, it was announced that Sprint will not carry the new Moto X. I am on sprint and yes I am mad. My wife's side of the contract doesn't run out for 18 months so it looks like if I want a new X it will have to be a third gen if sprint carries it or when we are free to switch carriers. I know 1st world problems etc, but hear me out. I hear some cackling about going to t mobile to get our contracts bought out. The problem with that is to qualify you have to buy new phones FROM tmobile--and they won't be carrying the new X! Buying a Moto maker pure version won't qualify--it doesn't come from t-mobile. So this is my first point--the new X won't be sold in 2 of the 4 major US carrier's stores. That's a problem, and I'll come back to this in a bit.

Yesterday while it friend and I where out for lunch we decided to stop somewhere to check out the iphone 6. (not impressed by the way, the 6 has a decidedly bigger form factor than my 1st Gen for the same screen size but I digress.) an at&t store was most convenient and we ran in for a look. I was hoping to see at least a poster (if not a display) for the new X. And what do I see? Zip, zilch, nada. Not even an example of a 1st Gen was to be had. In fact one would have no idea Motorola still sold phones by looking in that store. LG, HTC, Samsung all had displays. Heck the stupid Fire phone had a big display! Not one thing from Moto.

Do you know what yesterday was? Without question the busiest day of the year for carrier stores. I'm not going estimate how many people went into a carrier store yesterday but it had to be a LOT. And what's more a lot of those people are in the market for a new phone. Yes, a majority were probably going to get the iPhone regardless. But there was some portion who walked in curious about the 6 but undecided. Some of those probably compared to other phones in the store. A very small portion maybe bought something other than the 6. Importantly, for a large portion of those people the idea of a non-iphone was planted. If the took the time to compare, no doubt many were impressed by what LG or HTC had to offer. None, at least at the store I was at or at any sprint or t-mobile was impressed by what Motorola had to offer. Hard to impress someone with no presence at all.

So why does this matter? My contention is that the vast majority of the smartphone buying public don't visit boards like ours or read online reviews. When they want a new phone they either go with what they know (apple or samsung) or they go to a carrier store or best buy and they talk to dales people and try out new phones. Thus if you are going capture a significant market share in the US, you have to have a a presence in most if not all carrier stores. Motorola isn't doing that and
that does not bode well.

Motomaker is a great idea, it really is. But it's not a replacement for competent marketing. At best, right now the Moto X is a niche phone, like nexus. Niche phones aren't going to ever truly compete with Samsung and Apple. Google can afford to tread water or even lose money with the nexus line. As part of Lenovo, the Moto X cannot be a money loser. It will not survive. And if the Moto X goes, I believe that Motorola, as we know and love it, will go too. Overseas Motorola seems to be doing well and might be safe. But if Motorola cannot produce a profitable US flagship, you can expect Lenovo to pull Motorola out of the US market, and I wouldn't blame them.

If the 2nd Gen were available on sprint, I would be on Motomaker now. But if Motorola were still publicly traded I would be telling everyone I know to sell the stock. And that saddens me. I love what Motorola is producing but I think Motorola is marching into irrelevance.

Posted via the Android Central App
I agree with this 100%. I have 3 lines with Sprint, but was in an att store yesterday because my wife wants the iPhone 6. I'm currently out of contact with a GS3 and want a new 64gb Moto X gen 1 (available nowhere however). So I figured I'd look at the gen 2. No one has even a display model, not the att store we were at, the best buy store, best buy mobile, or the Sprint store. And no one was able to give me any information about the gen 2.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I agree with this 100%. I have 3 lines with Sprint, but was in an att store yesterday because my wife wants the iPhone 6. I'm currently out of contact with a GS3 and want a new 64gb Moto X gen 1 (available nowhere however). So I figured I'd look at the gen 2. No one has even a display model, not the att store we were at, the best buy store, best buy mobile, or the Sprint store. And no one was able to give me any information about the gen 2.

Which is why I'm excited for the Lenovo deal to finalize. At best, they can expand brand recognition for Motorola and cut costs with better access to a bigger supply chain.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
As a result of the deal they made a couple days of years ago Sprint is on the hook for millions of iPhones. They can't lose customers or salesperson focus on the X. That's why you see the special iPhone deal.
This is all about sprint, and not Motorola.

Posted via Android Central App

moonoverparma00

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site

I was at a Verizon store yesterday and Motorola products were front and center. Bigger than the iphone 6 display. Nothing about the new X, but a white X, black X, all types of droids. Sprint is dying a slow death anyhow and probably hates the Verizon Moto Droid exclusives.

Lenovo purchase can only help Moto. Lenovo is innovative and has strong marketing. I think moto is going to be just fine.

How is sprint dying a horrible death??

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

It's not in stores because it hasn't been released yet. Currently it is available only for pre-order.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

It's not in stores because it hasn't been released yet. Currently it is available only for pre-order.

And that's exactly the problem. It didn't take a clairvoyant to figure out approximately when the iPhone 6 was going to be in stores if not the day, at least within a week. Motorola should have anticipated it and had *some* presence in those stores.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

And that's exactly the problem. It didn't take a clairvoyant to figure out approximately when the iPhone 6 was going to be in stores if not the day, at least within a week. Motorola should have anticipated it and had *some* presence in those stores.

I can see where you are going but I highly doubt anyone standing in line that day for an iPhone really cares about any other phone.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

I can see where you are going but I highly doubt anyone standing in line that day for an iPhone really cares about any other phone.

Please go back and read some of my earlier posts in this thread. It's about planting a seed. Getting your brand in the view of the public.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Again, read my statement you quoted. There may be a few that notice but it won't make that big of a impact. Long time iPhone users will always (there are some that have made the change) be iPhone users. Especially those that stand in line for a long time on launch day.

Last edited:

Bill_Ivers

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
As a result of the deal they made a couple days of years ago Sprint is on the hook for millions of iPhones. They can't lose customers or salesperson focus on the X. That's why you see the special iPhone deal.
This is all about sprint, and not Motorola.

Now I think we are getting to the root of the issue. I remember when that deal was announced, the guaranteed numbers were unreal. Sprint maybe pushing the iPhone 6 to minimize the money they are losing on that deal with Apple. If you look at Sprints phone line up it gets worse and worse by the the day. Everyday they seem to drop a good phone and replace it by some cheap thing that you have never heard of from ZTE or Kyocera. They must think that if the only flagship phone they offer is the iPhone people will switch to the iPhone rather than switch carriers. I would suggest that is flawed logic, hard core Android fans will never go to the iPhone.

Last edited:

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Now I think we are getting to the root of the issue. I remember when that deal was announced, the guaranteed numbers were unreal. Sprint maybe pushing the iPhone 6 to minimize the money they are losing on that deal with Apple. If you look at Sprints phone line up it gets worse and worse by the the day. Everyday they seem to drop a good phone and replace it by some cheap thing that you have never heard of from ZTE or Kyocera. They must think that if the only flagship phone they offer is the iPhone people will switch to the iPhone rather than switch carriers. I would suggest that is flawed logic, hard core Android fans will never go to the iPhone.

Sorry but this doesn't hold water. If it were true why did sprint carry the first Gen?

Actually I know why--Motorola had Google' backing last year. This year, understandably, Google isn't going to put much behind a brand they are in the process of selling. And I hate to say that things won't get better under Lenovo. If Google couldn't get the X in t-mobile's door how could Lenovo?

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Also a complaint against the moderator--the true purpose of my OP was to express my concerns about where Motorola was going, not simply to complain about sprint. Thanks for burying my lede.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12