I've got a new Moto X and I absolutely love it. It runs great and never lags, with one exception: after using the camera, the device often seems to lag going back to the home screen. I'm not exactly sure what the triggering conditions are except I know it happens when I press the home button from within the camera app (but not always).

I get my background and the app drawer button, but the actual app shortcuts take 2-3 seconds to populate. It's not a huge problem, but I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing this issue.

Screenshot of what I see during the lag:
    Moto X (2014) Lag after leaving stock camera app-screenshot_2014-09-28-13-05-46.jpg
    09-29-2014 09:32 AM
    Just tried ..not noticing any lag

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-29-2014 09:39 AM
    I have no issues with the rear camera, but the FFC lags like crazy on mine. My first gen X doesn't do that. Have tried restarting and deleting cache. Anyone else having issues?

09-29-2014 11:28 AM
    Of course, now that I posted this I can't seem to reproduce it. Yesterday it was doing it pretty consistently. Oh well. Seems like relatively small bug. Hopefully it'll get taken care of sooner or later. I can live with it.
    09-29-2014 01:29 PM
    i am having the exactly same issue on my Moto G 2nd Generation (2014),
    have tried the following things. none have been able to resolve it so far.
    1. resetted the phone.
    2. cleared cache partition & junk files.
    3. uninstalled apps that uses camera like skype, messenger, instagram (a tech support executive from motorola told me to do this.)
    4. booted into safe mode & tried starting apps one by one to find out the culprit but didn't succeeded because a lot of apps don't start & some crash soon after starting in safe mode (i guess they need some services pre-loaded which is not in safe mode).
    5. it never lagged in safe mode, i have tested it for hours (snapping pics like crazy, putting as much load on camera as possible, tried this with both the motorola's camera app & google camera app).
    6. so i have reached a conclusion that its a result of some confliction between apps (most probably the camera & some third party app) & it can't be a bug in Camera app coz both Google Camera & Motorola's Camera app produces this lag issue.
    7. i am going to do a clean install (reset) of my Moto G & will test it by installing one app at a time, will keep this section updated. (have this whole week off as some major holidays here india, so i have some time.)

Cheers....
    Mark!! (Vikas Kumar)
    09-30-2014 09:57 AM
    Cheers....
    Mark!! (Vikas Kumar)
    Happy Holidays and Good luck! Fill us in on what you find out
    09-30-2014 07:21 PM
    I have no issues with the rear camera, but the FFC lags like crazy on mine. My first gen X doesn't do that. Have tried restarting and deleting cache. Anyone else having issues?

Yea I have the same problem. Just got my moto x the other day and found the problem today. Any idea what it is? Hopefully a software update will fix it.
    10-04-2014 06:19 PM
    I'm STILL having this issue. Camera seems to be the most frequent cause, but it will happen in other contexts if i am switching in an out of stuff really fast. It always happens after using the home button, though, and the effect is always the same - a nearly blank home screen like the one I originally posted.

Anyone else have any insights to offer?
    10-20-2014 01:47 PM
    Same problem here with new Moto G 2014. It is terrible. The apps I run are the same I had on my Nexus 4 which had no lag.
    I've posted about it previously.

Video showing the issue
    YouTube video id: r9TcCAZG4Gs

Opened a ticket with Motorola, been waiting for 7 days already for a reply.
    For me this is a huge problem as it happens all the time and the phone feels anything but snappy.

I'm wondering if I am right but it seems to have started as soon as I installed the Google Now Launcher update. On the other hand I hadn't used the phone much before...

Wondering if we should compare notes on which third party apps we have installed, maybe there are some common ones that point towards a culprit. In any case I blame the OS though, stuff like this shouldn't happen. I don't want to carry out the job of Motorola's QA department...

Any tips appreciated. This is really frustrating.
    cbryancan likes this.
    11-05-2014 03:59 PM
    Yep. That video is EXACTLY what I'm experiencing. I'm hoping the lollipop update fixes it.
    11-07-2014 10:59 AM
    Ya my ffc lags a lot too but not at all on the rear.

11-07-2014 06:34 PM
    Any update on it? I got moto x 2nd generation 3 days ago and FFC has lagged since. It only lags in low light and I contacted Motorola customer care center and they told me to factory reset and can check. Has anyone tried it?
    11-09-2014 04:24 AM
    This isn't so much of a lag, but rather a UI redraw but I guess you could call it lag. But luckily you don't experience it as much as some other phones do, *COUGH* LG G3 *COUGH*.

It could be caused if you are doing something intensive with the camera, such as recording a 4K video. However if this issue occurs even when you move back to the homescreen from the stills camera then it is a software issue that can be fixed.

Does this issue occur on all camera applications or just the stock one?

PS: All of you complaining out there that your front facing camera is laggy at night, that's because viewfinder dips the FPS below 19 to capture more light(the UI is still at a consistent 30 FPS or more). It's not a huge issue, it makes your camera more stuttery but also allows it to capture more light.
    11-09-2014 04:57 AM
    So I'm trying the Lollipop Soak test, and that definitely has not fixed the issue. Granted, I am not using a final release version, so it could just be that it needs to be optimized more. But I Lollipop wasn't the silver bullet I hoped it would be.

Seems to be occurring more frequently for me, coming out of all sorts of apps. I'm beginning to wonder if I should be concerned. Maybe I'll try a factory reset and see if that helps. I just really don't want to go to the trouble of setting everything back up the way I like it!
    11-11-2014 08:30 AM
    So I'm trying the Lollipop Soak test, and that definitely has not fixed the issue. Granted, I am not using a final release version, so it could just be that it needs to be optimized more. But I Lollipop wasn't the silver bullet I hoped it would be.

Seems to be occurring more frequently for me, coming out of all sorts of apps. I'm beginning to wonder if I should be concerned. Maybe I'll try a factory reset and see if that helps. I just really don't want to go to the trouble of setting everything back up the way I like it!
    Or you could compromise and use a different camera application. Such as Google Camera.

Or better yet, go to settings > apps > all apps > camera

Once you are there, clear the data of the camera app. Maybe that helps.
    11-11-2014 11:00 AM
    It's not just the camera anymore. That suggests something more systemic with memory management. I did a factory reset and so far so good, but I haven't gotten everything I use up and running yet.
    11-11-2014 12:12 PM
    I'm having the same problem, home screen redraw after exiting the app. Remember, the Motorola Camera is an app updatable through the play store. My guess, this is just a bug in the app that'll be patched with an update later.
    11-11-2014 12:22 PM
    Same problem here with new Moto G 2014.

Video showing the issue
    YouTube video id: r9TcCAZG4Gs
    +1 same on my moto x

This isn't so much of a lag, but rather a UI redraw but I guess you could call it lag.
    +1
    this is what I'm getting, redraw
    11-11-2014 01:36 PM
    It's not just the camera app (I use the stock one) but happens with other apps too - most frequently with the camera.
    I'm not capturing video either, just stills.

I've done a factory reset and reinstalled a subset of my apps (total ball-ache to get everything back to normal) but after just a few hours the issue reappeared.

Motorola finally replied with this ridiculous email which includes 'not to use a GMail Account'. Are they serious? Last time I checked this was an Android phone...
    By the way, clearing cache and data on Play Services caused all my apps to disappear from the home screen... I do not have a Google Now app, only Google Now Launcher (which I did not enable this time but the problem still persisted).

Motorola reply
    ----------------------------------
    "Please try the following:

- Go to Settings > Apps > All > and clear cache/data on Google Play Services, Google Now and Google Search.
    - For all the apps above, look for updates on the Play Store. If all updates are installed, try uninstalling updates for these apps, one by one. Try the feature in between each uninstall. You can uninstall the updates on the same menu Settings > Apps > All.

Failing this, I would try to reset the phone but not add any Google account. The issue may be coming from the Google Account. Please note all data will be lost. Factory Data Reset is a tool used to remove everything that was imported, added or installed on the device. The reset does not affect the contents of your SIM and SD card.
    Keep in mind, when using this feature everything is deleted. This includes all Messages (SMS, MMS and Emails), contacts and 3rd party apps. Also, multimedia files that are stored in the internal memory might be removed. Due to this, we recommend that you backup your data.
    If you have enabled Google sync, your contacts should be saved in your Gmail account. We recommend that you check your Gmail to confirm that all your contacts are there. If your contacts are synced, then you will automatically retrieve them once you add your Gmail account again.
    Alternatively, you can export your contacts to your SIM or to your SD card if you have one. Once the reset is completed, you will be able to import the contacts back to your phone.
    There is no native application or option to back up your messages. While we do not endorse or guarantee these solutions or provide support for them, some owners have reported success backing up & restoring messages using a 3rd party Android Application like SMS Backup & Restore. You can search the Play store for more 3rd party applications that will enable SMS backup.

After the reset please do not enter your Gmail account, restore any backup or install any third party applications until you can check that the problem does not persist. If it does, we would suggest to send your phone for repair.
    "
    ---------------------

I'm trying Amazon now and hope to get a refund. After years on Android I am considering a iPhone again because this experience has been abysmal. At least with Apple I can walk into a store and get things sorted, not wait the best part of 2 weeks for someone to tell me to reset my device and install one app at a time and test each one...

S
    11-14-2014 02:17 AM
    Also to add, I rarely use the front facing camera. I often see this lag simply opening the rear app and exiting...
    11-14-2014 02:28 AM

Lollipop while great made this problem much more common. I often see the redraw of the home screen when hitting home from nearly any app including Google Messenger.
    12-17-2014 10:50 AM
    I am getting the same error with many apps......and it is very frequent. I have Moto G2
    12-25-2014 09:07 PM