Since my previous thread on this was removed (for no obvious reason, since AFAIK tethering is not illegal), I'm starting a new one.

How do people tether on the Moto X? The Kitkat built-in tethering works for me, but FoxFi doesn't. Somebody in that other thread claimed FoxFi had a special way of "hiding" package transmission so that carriers couldn't figure out that you're doing it, implying that the built-in tethering made it obvious to the carriers. Is this true?
    09-29-2014 12:40 PM
    Since my previous thread on this was removed (for no clear reason, since tethering is not illegal), I'm starting a new one.

How do people tether on the Moto X? The Kitkat built-in tethering works for me, but FoxFi doesn't. Somebody in that other thread claimed FoxFi had a special way of "hiding" package transmission so that carriers couldn't figure out that you're doing it, implying that the built-in tethering made it obvious to the carriers. Is this true?
    I have interest in this topic also.

What carrier are you on quietlybrilliant?

P.S. shouldn't you be using an HTC device? ;-)
    09-29-2014 01:19 PM
    I have interest in this topic also.

What carrier are you on quietlybrilliant?

P.S. shouldn't you be using an HTC device? ;-)
    AT&T. I might move back to HTC once they put better cameras into their otherwise amazing phones.
    09-29-2014 01:21 PM
    Since my previous thread on this was removed (for no clear reason, since tethering is not illegal), I'm starting a new one.
    Let me introduce myself, I'm Paul the Moderator Team Leader here at Android Central. If your thread was removed it was because it broke some form of forum rules & guidelines or was discussion pertaining to circumventing or work around something that a carrier or OEM has done to that particular device.

Now before we start throwing are hands up in the air showing examples of the past where its been discussed about obtaining free wireless tethering, etc.. yes I know those threads exist and are also things of the past since most carriers have now come forth and laid down the law on where they stand with using tethering on their networks.

I will allow this thread to continue as long as it stays along the lines of using an application to make tethering work. HOWEVER, if the discussion turns to methods and discussion of obtaining tethering for FREE when it is clearly stated that your carrier doesn't allow free tethering and it only can be obtained by an additional monthly fee then that type of discussion here is breaking the rules and those comments will be removed and the thread may be locked up per moderator discretion.

So with that said please think before you post, if you think your comments are suggesting " hiding " or " circumventing " a something purposely put in place by the carrier then you probably shouldn't be discussing that here. Especially if a method requires rooting or hacking any type of system files to get it working when the carrier has specifically gone the route of making it something you have to contact them about having for an extra fee or registering on your account to allow.

Thanks.
    quietlybrilliant and jbyinc like this.
    09-29-2014 05:39 PM
    I'm on Verizon and I have a Share Everything plan that allows me to tether. Yet my X cannot tether using FoxFi. FoxFi is just banned, period. It may be that the carriers know what app you are using, I do not know. All I know is that I cannot tether legally with FoxFi, whereas I could on my OG Droid RAZR. As I posted to you in that other thread, FoxFi devs say it's because of KitKat, although Bluetooth sharing works.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-29-2014 06:02 PM
    I'm on Verizon and I have a Share Everything plan that allows me to tether. Yet my X cannot tether using FoxFi. FoxFi is just banned, period. It may be that the carriers know what app you are using, I do not know. All I know is that I cannot tether legally with FoxFi, whereas I could on my OG Droid RAZR. As I posted to you in that other thread, FoxFi devs say it's because of KitKat, although Bluetooth sharing works.

What would be the advantage to using foxfi over the default hotspot?

09-29-2014 06:09 PM
    Paul, I really appreciate your posting, in part because it makes me realize that I should question my assumptions about the legality of tethering. It was my understanding that it is not illegal to use the data volume allotted to me as I please, but that the carrier reserves the right to discontinue service if I do. I derived this understanding from two articles I read about the topic years ago. So my understanding was actually that I was not violating my contract by doing this (I would go to a different provider or pay if I did violate the contract). Would you mind helping me understand this better, in particular in the context of AT&T?
    Paul627g likes this.
    09-29-2014 06:12 PM
    Paul, I really appreciate your posting, in part because it makes me realize that I should question my assumptions about the legality of tethering. It was my understanding that it is not illegal to use the data volume allotted to me as I please, but that the carrier reserves the right to discontinue service if I do. I derived this understanding from two articles I read about the topic years ago. So my understanding was actually that I was not violating my contract by doing this (I would go to a different provider or pay if I did violate the contract). Would you mind helping me understand this better, in particular in the context of AT&T?
    Thanks for understanding. I would love to help out but I'm with Sprint (I know, laugh like I do..) and have never been with AT&T so I can't really comment on behalf of their actual terms of tethering. I know its a touchy subject with most carriers and does take some good reading thru the contract with a fine tooth comb to really understand the boundaries they have in place.

Be patient, I'm sure someone in the community will have a better insight than I do regarding AT&T's tethering laws.
    quietlybrilliant likes this.
    09-29-2014 06:31 PM
    Benefit to FoxFi now? There isn't one. But I paid for FoxFi years ago, would have liked to have used the thing I paid for. Back then, it had more utility, until my job changed and I had to change my plan and lose unlimited data.

09-29-2014 08:52 PM