What's the difference b/t Moto X "unlocked" avail now vs. upcoming Pure Edition?

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I was wondering what the difference is in these two phone types? I'm familiar with the past 'Developer Edition', which I guess is the same as this possible upcoming 'Pure Edition'? If I want to get just stock Android and no carrier interference, couldn't I just pick up an unlocked Moto X on Moto Maker now instead of waiting on Pure Edition?

I have a Nexus 4 now and looking to upgrade to either new Moto X or N6. But like many others, I just don't like the size of the upcoming N6, but LOVE getting Android updates immediately with no carrier interference. So, not sure which Moto X to get! :)

Thanks in advance!

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
The Pure Edition available now is the only Pure Edition that will be produced as far as I know. It's unlocked and carrier bloat free. Moto has already said there will be no Developer Edition for the new Moto X.

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Ah ok, sorry, I guess I was confused. So the "unlocked" version that you can order now on the Moto X site is the "Pure Edition" (aka unlocked). The "Developer Edition" was what was offered for the 1st gen last year that had the unlocked bootloader, un-carrier, etc.

Thanks for the info!