'13 X Owners with Wood Back Cover (aka Woodies)

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
While I have been debating on getting the new X (I love my OG X a lot), I have been contemplating on getting the wood back. I was thinking of getting the VZW stock white front with bamboo back. My main question is durability. How has it been holding up with normal wear and tear? Have you regretted getting it? Would you get it again? I'm afraid it may not hold up as well as a plastic back. Thanks!

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have an ebony wood back. I have had mine since February of this year. I work outside for a living so I keep a case on mine during the week when I'm at work, but I take it off on the weekends. It still looks just as good as the day I got it!

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X on Verizon or the amazing Nexus 10 using the Android Central App

Flexia

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I have the bamboo back and love it. Dont have any problems with it. Also still looks great. In the light glare you can see minor scratches bit thats all

Last edited:

anon(5002059)

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Love my wood back moto but I would have gone with leather if I had the choice.
But the wood holds up well. And I don't use a case.

Posted with my MotoX, no case needed.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I've got walnut and it's been surprisingly durable. I do use the same stuff I use on the fretboard's of my guitars to keep it all glossed up.

Good stuff. Now, be aware that the wood backs are slick. Not as slick as the "smooth" plastic backs. But no where near as grippy as the soft touch back I had.

In my opinion, my wood back has held up better than my soft touch did. A cheap tpu case left black spots on my Navy back. Haven't had issues with wood.

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• IMG_20140618_205017525.jpg
    IMG_20140618_205017525.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20140618_205022220.jpg
    IMG_20140618_205022220.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 123

Flexia

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I just got a warranty replacement of my bamboo phone. The new bamboo seems to not have any coating on it. Here are a few pictures. The new one is the darker one and you can see there is no sheen on it like my older on.IMG_1635.JPGIMG_1636.JPGIMG_1637.JPG

drew_sf

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I just got a warranty replacement of my bamboo phone. The new bamboo seems to not have any coating on it. Here are a few pictures. The new one is the darker one and you can see there is no sheen on it like my older on.
What is wrong with the phone that needed warranty replacement? I have a walnut back X and still no problems with the phone or wear on the back cover.

austinography

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I also had a recent warranty replacement of the walnut back and the replacement was just like yours, lacking the clear coat to give the wood the shiny quality.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Mine doesn't have a coating either, and I prefer it that way. Treat it with some lemon oil. Shoot, spray some pledge on a rag and wipe the back down, then clean off the camera (that's what I did in those pictures). Seems like the clear coat would just make it slick.

Posted via Android Central App

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm still torn. I would like something different but I also want something that can hold up. I know the plastic/resin can. I'm just not sure if the wood will.
I will be talking to them today when I get home

Please let us know the outcome of that conversation.

Flexia

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm still torn. I would like something different but I also want something that can hold up. I know the plastic/resin can. I'm just not sure if the wood will.

The outcome as of now is that no one knows and couldn't answer anything. They asked for pictures and are going to pursue it a little more and get back to me. From what I have seen is it also looks like the 14 are made like this too, with no clear. I actually like the new one because you can feel the wood grain. I am just worried it will get dirty faster.

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I have the Bamboo back and find it to be great.
It's utilized in an Incipio plastic wallet now.
Prior it had held up extremely well with normal everyday use.
Just returned a XT1095 Cognac leather.
Was going back and forth between them.
XT1095 is definitely quicker taking pictures, just snappier all around.
Added size helps viewing the screen which is gorgeous and typing was a tad easier.
In the end:
Came back to my Bamboo XT1053. Why?
I couldn't justify the upgrade, the delta wasn't enough.
EDIT: and, as stated elsewhere, SIZE. Leather was very attractive.
100_2481.jpgIMG_20141002_175100436.jpg

Last edited:

drew_sf

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
After playing with the new one for a couple weeks I went back to my previous walnut 1053. It was the size issue for me. I'm still liking a smaller phone size for everyday use.

Flexia

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

Motorola got back to me! Actually wasn't expecting anything.

Here is what they had to say.

"The reason behind receiving your device with a less glossy-looking finish to the back, is because we have recently changed our process to provide a more authentic wood backing. Previously we had been using a composite wood material, which would appear more glossy and/or shiny"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool