Moto X 2014 anyone going naked?

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Re: anyone going naked?

Yep. Phone insurance is just like auto and other property insurance. It can be costly piece of mind. And your example of broken screen is a good one. I've broken a screen twice, most recently on a Droid DNA, would have been much more than $100 to replace the screen. It seems that in many of today's devices the screen and digitizer are constructed to be one panel increasing the cost. The downside of improved performance and experience is increased complexity and cost to repair.

In the end, even a $50 case would be cheaper than the insurance, at least in the case of a damaged phone...it doesn't help if the phone has been lost or stolen. For those looking into coverage, if loss is a concern, make sure the coverage you are getting includes it.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I decided to just go with a light case and film screen protector for now. Dizttonic case + Illumisheld SP. Great combo and it didn't break the bank!

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site

I can't put a case on this phone. I considered ordering the red bumper from motorola but part of what I love is the feel of the metal frame. No case here. Can't do it. I do have insurance tho.

Agreed, I don't understand why people buy these awesome customized phones and then put crappy plastic cases on them. Those clear cases look terrible. Its like looking into a sandwich bag.

Posted via the Android Central App

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Yep. Phone insurance is just like auto and other property insurance. It can be costly piece of mind. And your example of broken screen is a good one. I've broken a screen twice, most recently on a Droid DNA, would have been much more than $100 to replace the screen. It seems that in many of today's devices the screen and digitizer are constructed to be one panel increasing the cost. The downside of improved performance and experience is increased complexity and cost to repair.

In the end, even a $50 case would be cheaper than the insurance, at least in the case of a damaged phone...it doesn't help if the phone has been lost or stolen. For those looking into coverage, if loss is a concern, make sure the coverage you are getting includes it.

Excellent points!

About the screen+digitizer combo - good to know. I'm not up to date on that topic being still on a Thunderbolt. (on a side note, sister was on Thunderbolt long too, insurance gave her DNA - she really likes it).

That is very true and important. If already paying for insurance, I'd definitely make sure it covers 'loss of phone' too.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site

I went in and got a screen protector and case with clear back and tpu edges. The dude was man handling my phone trying to get air bubbles out. He was really pressing in the screen. Then to get the case on he we pushing on the edges pretty hard. Any chance this could cause structural damage?

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

I went in and got a screen protector and case with clear back and tpu edges. The dude was man handling my phone trying to get air bubbles out. He was really pressing in the screen. Then to get the case on he we pushing on the edges pretty hard. Any chance this could cause structural damage?

you should have told him to watch the video... the one where they show that it just doesn't bend ;-)
he must have been a masseur in the past :-D

dmccracken42

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

It depends on where I am. Around the house it's naked. When commuting I have a cheap TPU bumper case from Verizon. For the soccer field (where I coach) I've ordered a SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle Pro Series. When considering getting a custom design I realize that I just couldn't carry it out and about without a case which I'd be tempted to do with a custom design. I'm just not built that way :) So I opted for the black Verizon edition instead. Though I still hate covering up that beautiful metal frame.

-Dennis-

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site

you should have told him to watch the video... the one where they show that it just doesn't bend ;-)

Haha. I was very disappointed when he started pushing on the corners trying to get the case to pop in. I cringed a few times.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I would have gone with a soft TPU type of case. But they are hard to find right now. From good name brands anyways.

GMC MaXx

May 10, 2011
Visit site

Never put a case on any of my phones and never had a mishap. Just take care of your phone like the expensive piece of technology it is and you'll be fine.

Yep, me too.

David Valente

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I would highly recommend a bumper case and tempered glass screen protector for the moto x second gen!
I have a beautiful one with the wood back. Broke the screen on day #1, by sliding out of my pocket onto my wood floor while I was sitting on the ground. A 3 inch drop at the most. So, needless to say, I wouldn't call this phone durable.
Motorola, to my relief, allows you to purchase insurance for up to 30 days after the purchase of the phone. It's easy, they give you a code where you design a new phone, they pay for it, and then send it to you. You send yours back in the box the new one arrives in and you never go a moment without a phone.
Downside: They condiser the wood and leather backs an "accessory." Mind you, you can't take it off and swap it to another phone, so I'm not sure how this is an accessory any more than a 32 gb option is an "accessory" since it's integrated into the phone. Made me very upset. I called motorola to inquire, and they said "it's covered under the one year warranty, but it's an accessory so you have to pay $25 for it." So they cover it, but they don't actually cover it. ??
So, if you shun the case, be prepared to pay $85 up front, plus $39 per incident, plus $25 for your wood/leather back.
I'm seriously considering trying to remove my wood back and swapping it to a replacement phone.

cheeto0

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I kind of use mine mostly naked. I bought a full body skin for it and I put it on the sides back and bottom. Not for protection but to give it some grip. The phone is too slippery for me to go completely naked. I did buy a case for it just to put on now and then when I think it could be dropped, like if the kids use it.

afrozeke

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site

I've heard because of the glass it will shatter with even a small drop. I'll have a tpu case on mine.

I've dropped mine naked. Not even a scratch.

Linoleum floor dropped from the top of my bar during football. No(yes) I was not (was) drunk.

shamelin73

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I bought iBlason case and have insurance but case not in yet. Phone looks so good I don't think I will use the case.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Vizi

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I bought iBlason case and have insurance but case not in yet. Phone looks so good I don't think I will use the case.

Just got my i-BLASON case in the mail today. Nice case. Has all of the mic cut outs and the "M" is exposed in the back. There is some branding on the back that wasn't in the product picture, but nothing all that bad.

I bought two other TPU cases that didn't have the cut out for the top mic. This looks like the best one yet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital