Moto X - How well do you think it's selling?

BizzyGeek

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
The other day I went to go check out the device at an AT&T Store. The rep told me that he'd been pushing the phone hard, but that he'd only managed to sell one unit. This anecdotal example obviously doesn't mean anything whatsoever but it got me pondering, how is this phone selling? And if it's not selling well, how will that impact the product decisions that Lenovorola makes going forward? Will they abandon entirely the Google inspired Moto that many of us have come to know and love?

Personally I believe the challenges that the X faces are more about other marketing dimensions besides the product itself. And my completely uneducated guess is that sales projections probably weren't overly aggressive, but the phone isn't and won't meet Moto's own internal benchmarks. What are all your thoughts?

Posted via Android Central App

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping it sells at least well enough to ensure a third generation. Just love this phone and still love the 2013 version.

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
One thing to consider is that the primary market for unsubsidized phones may be one that doesn't buy from carrier stores. A giant draw of the Moto X is the customization and the 32GB and best optioned models are only available directly from Moto - sure, you can get a code from a carrier but there is no need to do that since you merely redeem it on the same site you'd otherwise order from. I've bought quite a few devices over the last few years and I never go to a carrier store to buy them. Obviously the "average consumer" might, but the average consumer is also buying almost exclusively Samsung and Apple devices. The X would be fantastic for most consumers, but they have no idea that it exists. I am not sure I can speak for how happy Moto & Google are with their sales figures or how realistic their expectations are - and Lenovo (if they buy it) will take quite a bit of time to have any influence on the traditional MM devices, if they choose to at all.

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I final got my hands on the Moto X 2014! I love the original but the new one is quite big and the store demo was with a leather back cover. I think it okay looking but I rather see what the plastic looks like!

I would buy it if it drop $100 off the price for the 32GB model. But it pushing my storage to the limit! Not sure why the don't have 64GB at least. They offered it on the original at the latter part of the Moto X 2013 sales cycle. If the Moto X had 64GB; I would buy it at $50 less so at $450!

As for looks; it subjective I know but compare to the iPhone 6; it does not look that good! It looks old style especially with the dark circle camera and dark aluminum edge in the demo compare to the all metal iPhone 6 which feels more substantial.

I don't think it will sell as well as the original Moto X since it is bigger; battery life is the same and there is a lot more competition coming out from Sony, Samsung, LG and others. It price at the lower tier but lacks Android feature such as removable back cover, micro SD card and replaceable battery.

It a nice smartphone; but not something you would go crazy to buy! It has to be price right for me to go and buy it!

dhc8guru

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm predicting its selling better then the first Gen. My guess it will probably hang in with the same numbers as the HTC one M8. There will be a third gen, because no doubt Lenovo wants in the phone business and sees Motorola as a potential top player.
Every year Apple and Samsung slip. The increasing disappointment in Apple and its locked down UI. I feel Samsung's flagging sales has been due to lack of sexy phones. They leave gaps that are filled by the competition.

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm predicting its selling better then the first Gen. My guess it will probably hang in with the same numbers as the HTC one M8. There will be a third gen, because no doubt Lenovo wants in the phone business and sees Motorola as a potential top player.
Every year Apple and Samsung slip. The increasing disappointment in Apple and its locked down UI. I feel Samsung's flagging sales has been due to lack of sexy phones. They leave gaps that are filled by the competition.
I still wouldn't count out Samsung. Jerry brought up a good point in regards to Samsung sales on the podcast. A lot of regular consumers still have the S4 and unlike us tech enthusiasts, they tend to stay on a 2 year device cycle. We won't be able to really see if Samsung is in a tough situation till the S6.

In regards to the new Moto X, I don't think it's selling well especially due to the lack of advertising I've seen for it and the stiff competition it faces. If last year's X is any indication, if it isn't selling well then sales could be popping up to move more product.

Sent from my LG G3

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to be negative nelly here. My contention is that the majority of the phone buying public does so in carrier stores when they are due for upgrades. The majority of that majority would never walk out of the store with a phone they had never heard of before and at least knew someone who had one who could help them figure it out.

That's why apple and Samsung are so successful. People know the name and know friends who have them. Consequently most people just upgrade to the same brand. They don't want to have to figure out a new phone.

Where does this leave Motorola? In trouble, I say. Let me illustrate. Today I walked in to a local Verizon to see if I could get my hands on one. Naturally they did not have it. But I was momentarily impressed when the salesman had heard of it and said they were expecting it soon. Then he proceeded to tell me that Samsung produced products with the same software. While technically true, this is also very misleading. The salesman didn't understand when I tried to explain.
This is the opposition Motorola is facing in the field. And it is not faring well. Understandably Google isn't spending a lot of money on something they are about to give up. Lenovo can't spend money on Motorola yet. Motorola is languishing. And by the time Lenovo takes the reins it may already too late and the Motorola that we have come to love won't survive as we currently know it.

JRuppenthal

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to be negative nelly here. My contention is that the majority of the phone buying public does so in carrier stores when they are due for upgrades. The majority of that majority would never walk out of the store with a phone they had never heard of before and at least knew someone who had one who could help them figure it out.

That's why apple and Samsung are so successful. People know the name and know friends who have them. Consequently most people just upgrade to the same brand. They don't want to have to figure out a new phone.

Where does this leave Motorola? In trouble, I say. Let me illustrate. Today I walked in to a local Verizon to see if I could get my hands on one. Naturally they did not have it. But I was momentarily impressed when the salesman had heard of it and said they were expecting it soon. Then he proceeded to tell me that Samsung produced products with the same software. While technically true, this is also very misleading. The salesman didn't understand when I tried to explain.
This is the opposition Motorola is facing in the field. And it is not faring well. Understandably Google isn't spending a lot of money on something they are about to give up. Lenovo can't spend money on Motorola yet. Motorola is languishing. And by the time Lenovo takes the reins it may already too late and the Motorola that we have come to love won't survive as we currently know it.

It doesn't help when Motorola can't get the phones to people who ordered them in a timely manner. I ordered mine on 9/18 and am still awaiting delivery. Their service reps either lie or have no clue as to when I can expect delivery. Apple and Samsung have nothing to worry about I'm afraid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crimsonforce

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I see what you did there

BizzyGeek

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

Your logic makes perfect sense to me. Most people don't likely place enough value on the customization of Moto Maker, and salespeople have an easier time sending buyers out the door with a phone in hand rather than a code to order one.

I suspect that Moto did a lot of damage to their brand with the early Droids, their poor design aesthetics and horrific skins (blur).

I think moto x is the right direction, but it's probably going to take 3 or 4 generations to start to make real headway in terms of market share.

Posted via Android Central App

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
It's probably selling worse than the first-gen. The Moto X is the best phone I've owned, but the public has no idea it exists.

Mizarus

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

That's a very weird concept to me, i cannot imagine a Cell Phone carrier that dosent have their stuff for the consumers to test.

Iam from Brazil, and if you walk inside a cellphone carrier or a store that sells cellphones not atatched to a carrier you will be able to get your hands on any device, there is always at least 1 model of each on the floor, on very rare ocasions they dont, but its the exception and not the rule

Codger1212

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
That's a very weird concept to me, i cannot imagine a Cell Phone carrier that dosent have their stuff for the consumers to test.

Iam from Brazil, and if you walk inside a cellphone carrier or a store that sells cellphones not atatched to a carrier you will be able to get your hands on any device, there is always at least 1 model of each on the floor, on very rare ocasions they dont, but its the exception and not the rule

I walked into a Verizon store and they still had the big display up for the 2013 droid models (I own the maxx and love it) and nothing for the moto x. Just another phone that nobody was looking at. Pretty sad. If I don't get the droid turbo, I may still get this phone.

juankdg

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I find curious that people in a US carrier store doesn't know about the X, I'm from Costa Rica and I have a Moto X 2014 currently on its way down here.

Posted from Costa Rica. PURA VIDA

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Well moto is a failure at advertising. This phone has so many easily marketable features, yet I have not seen a single ad. No one knows this phone exists, thus it will not sell well no matter what. It is a real shame.

Sent from my XT1096

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Well moto is a failure at advertising. This phone has so many easily marketable features, yet I have not seen a single ad. No one knows this phone exists, thus it will not sell well no matter what. It is a real shame.

Sent from my XT1096

Yeah, it's like the old quote: if Moto makes the best phone in the world but no one knows about it, does it really matter?

I look at it this way : Lenovo is a smart company. Moto X, to date, is a failure. Why would Lenovo continue a failure?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Moto X, to date, is a failure.

It is? It seemed to me to be very well received. Obviously it didn't top sales charts, but no one ever actually forecasted that it would. It's not meant to be an "iPhone killer" at BGR or the Verge. It was meant to take a different approach and be another option that's a little different. At that goal and at being loved by the Android community it was a resounding success. Has Moto ever said anything about being disappointed in sales figures, let alone being ready to toss in the towel because it didn't sell 50,000,000 units? 50,000,000 wasn't the goal...

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I walked into a Verizon store and they still had the big display up for the 2013 droid models (I own the maxx and love it) and nothing for the moto x. Just another phone that nobody was looking at. Pretty sad. If I don't get the droid turbo, I may still get this phone.

VZW sales people I've heard are blinded. The were pushing a guy to an iPhone that clearly stated he wanted an SD card slot and a removable battery. He was confused on why they were pushing him to the iPhone. We both rolled our eyes and he walked off. In my VZW store, the iPhone gets special treatment no matter who you are. The iPhone is a good phone, it's not for everyone though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol