Did Moto kill the X because of the Turbo?

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hey all. I'm in between classes so I figured I'd get a discussion going. I am up for an upgrade (have been since January) and was all set on the Moto X. I am using the 2013 X and love the phone but the battery leaves a bit to be desired. I also have a Galaxy S4 which I don't use often anymore but I still pull it out from time to time when I'm out and about because the battery life is better.

With the announcement of the 2014 X and the somewhat small battery and questionable camera I was a bit disappointed. Not a deal breaker but I was expecting more. Then comes the first leak of the Turbo on Verizon (I'm on Verizon) and some specs. Was not a fan of the look of the Razr series so I didn't think too much of it. Then the manual leak with the specs and red back leaked photo (which looks like the Moto X) and thats when I really questioned the X. Why did Moto give a huge battery and what seems to be a much better camera to the Turbo and leave the X out of the picture, which was regarded as phone of the year last year by some sources? Was their plan to market the Turbo the entire time? Anyone else question how these 2 phones played out.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, given the fact that the MotoX, as capable as it might be, has always been marketed as a cheaper, mid-range phone and the Turbo line has been a high-end phone (albeit a questionable line at times), it really comes at no surprise. They're aimed at two different markets, even if they share design languages. Think of the Note 4 VS Galaxy S5 VS Galaxy S5 mini. They might look similar, but their internals are different and they're aimed at very different market segments.

Mister Moore

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
The X has been declared the best phone overall thus far for 2014 by most trusted reviewers. Turbo will only be on Verizon and the look of it is hit or miss by many.

The X is truly the smaller option for those wanting the Nexus

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Well, given the fact that the MotoX, as capable as it might be, has always been marketed as a cheaper, mid-range phone and the Turbo line has been a high-end phone (albeit a questionable line at times), it really comes at no surprise. They're aimed at two different markets, even if they share design languages. Think of the Note 4 VS Galaxy S5 VS Galaxy S5 mini. They might look similar, but their internals are different and they're aimed at very different market segments.

Didn't look at it from a market standpoint. Thanks for the insight!

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
... Then the manual leak with the specs and red back leaked photo (which looks like the Moto X) and thats when I really questioned the X.

small clarification... the red turbo, depicted here: Motorola Droid Turbo revealed: Snapdragon 805, Quad HD and two-day battery | Android Central
does not look like the X, the ergonomics are different, Turbo has what looks like a flatter back most likely to allow it to have wireless charging, though the Turbo also has physical buttons while the X are on screen.

not that it's a big deal, though those physical buttons on the Turbo are likely going to stay the same shape, despite Lollipop changes (see phone in banner): Google will update Android 5.0 Lollipop preview images on Oct. 17 | Android Central

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
small clarification... the red turbo, depicted here: Motorola Droid Turbo revealed: Snapdragon 805, Quad HD and two-day battery | Android Central
does not look like the X, the ergonomics are different, Turbo has what looks like a flatter back most likely to allow it to have wireless charging, though the Turbo also has physical buttons while the X are on screen.

not that it's a big deal, though those physical buttons on the Turbo are likely going to stay the same shape, despite Lollipop changes (see phone in banner): Google will update Android 5.0 Lollipop preview images on Oct. 17 | Android Central

Thanks for pointing out the ergonomics of it. The X is the first phone I've ever had with a radius on the back and it's a pleasure to hold. With the more square back as you've pointed out does raise little concern on my end. But I think the wireless charging could null that. Time will tell. Thanks again for the clarification

Posted via Android Central App

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for pointing out the ergonomics of it. The X is the first phone I've ever had with a radius on the back and it's a pleasure to hold. With the more square back as you've pointed out does raise little concern on my end. But I think the wireless charging could null that. Time will tell. Thanks again for the clarification

I agree, it does make it more comfortable to hold than a slab type phone

It's sad each phone has it's trade-offs and no one phone has it all. Let's see what project ara brings along :)

arrowsun

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I debated over waiting for the Droid Turbo or keeping my Moto X2. The X2 won out for me because I love its "pocketability" and light weight.. I have an office job and like to carry my phone in the front pocket of my shirt or suit if I'm wearing one. I came from the Droid Maxx HD. While I did enjoy the 2 day battery life (while it lasted), I did not like the weight. The Droid Turbo will be substantially heavier and bulkier than the Moto X2 due to the much larger battery.

Most people can live without 2 days of battery life, I know I can, especially with the new Turbo charger (which I just received). I think the Droid Turbo is marketed to, for lack of a better term, younger smartphone geeks who want substantial screen time (4-5+ hours a day) for movies, games, etc. Being an employed adult, I don't need anything near that kind of screen time. That would be half my work day! So the Droid Turbo would be overkill for me.

That leaves the camera issue. Evaluating the Droid Turbo camera against the Moto X2 would be pure speculation at this point in time. I am very satisfied with the photos I have taken so far with my X2 (which I have posted on the photo thread) including low light shots, especially when I discovered that setting the camera to HDR (which is not the default setting) makes a HUGE difference in picture quality, especially in low light situations. Its a very good camera when set to HDR. Certainly much better than the one that came with my Droid Maxx HD.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
does not look like the X, the ergonomics are different, Turbo has what looks like a flatter back most likely to allow it to have wireless charging...

To slightly contradict myself, the new nexus 6, also made by moto, has a very similar back to the new x, and the n6 does have wireless charging. The design of both backs look the same, though maybe they were able to pull off having the coil in the slight larger n6 back. And maybe they just didn't want it in the X - can raise price.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I think the Droid Turbo is marketed to, for lack of a better term, younger smartphone geeks who want substantial screen time (4-5+ hours a day) for movies, games, etc. Being an employed adult, I don't need anything near that kind of screen time. That would be half my work day! So the Droid Turbo would be overkill for me.

Me too. That says it in a nutshell. I do think the Droid Turbo is going to be a terrific phone for those who need the extra battery life - it's just more phone than I need. I had a hard enough time adjusting from the 2013 Moto X's smaller size to the 2014 Moto X, so I know the heavier weight of the Turbo would really not work for me. I'm happy with the trade-off of less screen time with the Moto X, but for those of you on Verizon it's really nice you will have a choice between the X and the Turbo.

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate everyone's opinions and insight into things I didn't know. I try to stay up with all this technology but life gets in the way at times so I appreciate the little tid bits I pick up from all of you.

In the end these are just phones. It's great to have choices but let's keep it in perspective.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend.

afrozeke

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Moto killed the X. I think the Droid line is Verizon's baby and Motorola being a company out to maximize profits is eager to oblige whatever they spec out in requirements.

But they are definitely phones aimed at different segments of the market.

Personally, I pay no attention to Verizon exclusive phones because I'm never going back there. But that's choice. And choice is always good.

Posted via the Android Central App

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Droids are Verizon's thing. They pay big money to Motorola to develop droid phones just for them. Its def going to be fierce competition for the X.

Side note: Did you know that "Droid" is a registered trademark owned by Verizon? No one else is allowed to use that branding. Crazy.

TaiwanTeddy

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Droid is Verizon's work horse which had always been made by Motorola. I had a Droid Maxx, great phone, but it lacked the customization options that made the phone felt it was truly mine. On a spec and user-experience point, I have no doubt that the Turbo will be a great phone like its predecessors; but I would still choose the ergonomics and customization options of the Moto X anyday.

Anonne

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Droid is Verizon's work horse which had always been made by Motorola. I had a Droid Maxx, great phone, but it lacked the customization options that made the phone felt it was truly mine. On a spec and user-experience point, I have no doubt that the Turbo will be a great phone like its predecessors; but I would still choose the ergonomics and customization options of the Moto X anyday.

A slight correction. Some Droids were made by HTC but Motorola eventually got the exclusive deal. The first Droid, the one that got Android on the radar of consumers, was by Motorola, though!

But I agree with your overall assessment. Given the choice, I'd prefer the more elegant and customizable X. I do wish that they had kept the always-listening feature exclusive to the X, because that is the primary value addition to me. But I'm not greedy....

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Droids are Verizon's thing. They pay big money to Motorola to develop droid phones just for them. Its def going to be fierce competition for the X.

Side note: Did you know that "Droid" is a registered trademark owned by Verizon? No one else is allowed to use that branding. Crazy.

I though Lucasfilm still owned the trademark for "droid", but leased it to VZW for lots of money.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
IMHO - If the X dies, it will be from the lack of promotion. Limited ads, few display models (BB had one 2014 in the AT&T section and one 2013 in the VZW section), uninformed sales staff. Hopefully it will grow out of its niche.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol