Just got the Moto X 2014

sbmoore1

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
As the topic states. I just go the Moto x 2nd generation white with bamboo back. I gave up a galaxy s5 due to it being laggy. The x2 is a much smoother and faster phone. Any tips?

Posted via the Android Central App

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Try to get a tempered glass screen protector for it. The sides are curved so the glass is easier to break from face falls.

You don't have to, but I personally enabled ART mode which make it run even smoother, you can search Google for the instruction.

I also use the app Notification Toggles to add more quick toggles in the status bar, since the default ones are limited.

Photos have more details and less grainy in low light condition if you use HDR mode, if you don't mind holding the phone still while taking the picture.

For Moto Display (aka active display), in the Moto app settings you can enable and disable it for each apps you installed.

Also set up Moto Assist if you haven't. Also when you are connected to a Bluetooth device, if you swipe down the status bar you can add that Bluetooth device to Trusted Device so the phone stay unlocked while connected.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
As the topic states. I just go the Moto x 2nd generation white with bamboo back. I gave up a galaxy s5 due to it being laggy. The x2 is a much smoother and faster phone. Any tips?

I got mine yesterday and I highly recommend the Hula Bumper Case from Moto website. The phone is thin and slippery but this case will let the beauty of the phone show and still protect the phone from most drops.

Also, update all of the Motorola Mobility Apps in the Google Play store (camera, sensors, connect, assist, etc). For some reason you have to manually update these, but they will make a huge performance improvement from day one of your new phone.

One last suggestion if your are on Verizon: change the Mobile Network setting from "Global" to "LTE/CDMA" as this will improve signal and battery life.

Enjoy!

Sent from Uranus

Koato8

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Got the Stock Black X with a white hula bumper... still waiting for the bumper.

Play around in the Moto app and let the phone options fit your schedule.

Moto Voice / Google Now is a great combo to try out, it changed the way i use my phone.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I got the Pure Edition here!

1) Install SwiftKey! Great keyboard and app.

2) Default to Google Hangouts for SMS/MMS and GV needs.

3) Run all your app updates. (Moto are all manual updates at first!)

4) Make sure your happy with your Google location settings. This could kill your battery.

5) DON'T judge the battery until its at least a week in. After 7 days my battery has gotten SO much better! :)

6) Enjoy the non-lag life! It truly is great. But my M7 never lagged b=much either. Oh well. Welcome to the Moto X 14' family!

lynn02

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm with the OP. I'd like tips on how to set it up. I love my Moto X so far. Love the smoothness of it compared to my S4. Can you add widgets to your lock screen like you could on the S4? I don't know if it's something that the guy at AT&T did but there are duplicates for every one of my contacts. Is there a quick way to get rid of the duplicates?

sbmoore1

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I have done all that has been suggested so far. For case I have the otterbox defender even though it hides my wood back. SwiftKey, Nova, and all of the Moto updates got installed after the phone for put in my hands.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I have done all that has been suggested so far. For case I have the otterbox defender even though it hides my wood back. SwiftKey, Nova, and all of the Moto updates got installed after the phone for put in my hands.

Congrats! It sounds like you are ready to have some fun and get some stuff done. Two games that are on sale for $0.99 that I recommend for the Moto X are Quell and Zombie Gun Ship. The first is the most relaxing puzzle game ever, the second is full bore death to zombies from above... in HD. Both are deeply satisfying!

For productivity try the Todoist task list app to manage life and the Evernote app for saving, noting, and sharing virtually everything you find on your phone or the Web. Both of these apps allow collaboration with friends or colleagues.

For your creative side, check out Auto Desk Sketchbook. I've been making some beautiful art in this app and then using the Pixlr app to transform my art into chic wallpapers for phones and computers.

If you want to challenge your brain against friends or strangers, try the Brain Wars app. It's addictive, challenging, and fun with informative scoring/ranking that finally proves you are smarter than your friends! I also love the Sky Map from Google where you can see the night sky in real time from your unique location. It will even show you the meteor showers and comets along with all the constellations and planets - showing you exactly where to locate all of these right outside your window.

Finally, if you want to monitor and customize your phone check out GSM Battery Monitor app as well as the HD Widgets app. GSAM is free and will tell you what is eating up your battery and about a billion other things. The HD Widgets is a paid app but it's so worth it bc you can make beautiful custom Widgets from simple weather or time/date all the way to complex toggles for WiFi and Web browser opening at the same time... or any other functions you might want to perform with one click.

Enjoy!

Sent from Uranus

Last edited: