My Atrix2 is getting a bit long in the tooth so need to upgrade phones pretty soon. Trying to pick a replacement among the front runners. Moto X (2nd gen)’s lack of sdcard and removable battery are negatives for me but not show stoppers—but the lack of notification led may be. A lot of times my phone will be laying face up and as I walk by I look at the led to see if any notifications or alarms have gone off. Could someone clarify a few questions on active display?

Q: I currently use the Delayed Lock app to disable the lock screen based on WiFi connection, i.e. there is NO lock screen not even a slide lock when the power button is touched to bring the screen awake. I think the Moto X2 has something similar builtin with Skip Dots and Trusted Bluetooth. So, if you don’t HAVE a lock screen do you still get the Moto Display notifications?

Q: What happens if you walk off leaving the screen to time out and a message arrives BEFORE it sleeps? With the led the light and reminder tones (via LightFlow) will still occur once the screen goes off. What does Moto Display do? Do you get any indication of the still pending notifications?

Q: How fast does the Moto Display appear (breathe?) and is the time period adjustable?

Q: Does it time out after awhile and not show anything or does it repeat until acted upon?

Q: Is anyone using LightFlow just to enable repeat audible notifications and vibration (without the led function of course).

Thanks.
    10-19-2014 05:59 PM
    Active display is the reason the Moto X does not have a notification LED.

Active display works when you don't have a lock screen. We have the same situation with trusted bluetooth. You don't see a lock screen there either.

Active display does not turn your screen on like you thing. It will pulse the notification when it comes in then that will time out after maybe 10 seconds. Then if you move the phone or reach for it the active display will show you the notifications again. The notification will not go away until you swipe the notification away or actually go to the notification.

The "breathe" is not adjustable and seems to be longer when you first get the notification. I think it may pulse every now and then for a while. I have never timed it before. It may also just be because I type really hard and move my desk. Like I said it will not go away unless you do something to make it go away. Active display works well. I like it better than the LED on my Nexus 7. I know by looking at the icon basically what it is.

Haven't messed with Lightflow on the Moto X.
    10-19-2014 06:39 PM
    In regards to turning off the lock screen I currently use Tasker and have it set to disable the lock screen when connected to my home Wi-Fi. With the lock screen disabled I still get active notifications. You could also disable it with trusted Bluetooth but for me Tasker is a far better option as it will automatically lock once I leave my house and I don't have to worry about being too far away from a Bluetooth device.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-19-2014 09:30 PM
    In regards to turning off the lock screen I currently use Tasker and have it set to disable the lock screen when connected to my home Wi-Fi. With the lock screen disabled I still get active notifications. You could also disable it with trusted Bluetooth but for me Tasker is a far better option as it will automatically lock once I leave my house and I don't have to worry about being too far away from a Bluetooth device.

Posted via Android Central App
    I do the same thing using llama
    10-19-2014 09:37 PM
    What about q2 - if a message comes in while the screen is on but the screen goes to sleep before you read/clear it. Do you still get a moto display showing the still pending notifications?
    10-20-2014 11:35 AM
    What about q2 - if a message comes in while the screen is on but the screen goes to sleep before you read/clear it. Do you still get a moto display showing the still pending notifications?
    On my '13 X, it did not. I just picked up a '14 X yesterday and have not ran into that scenario just yet. I'll let you know once I do.
    jleakey likes this.
    10-20-2014 11:38 AM
    Not sure on that question. I've been trying to wait for a notification to come through so I could see and no success yet. Sorry, maybe someone else can answer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk
    10-22-2014 09:03 PM
    That happens sometimes when your chatting with someone and you look your device with an unread message, the Display does not breathe then for that notification.

Posted via the Moto X 2014
    10-23-2014 05:30 AM