Moto X 2014 Beware: Turbo charging will heat up your battery...

arrowsun

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
When I purchased the Turbo Charger I was concerned that it would heat up my battery and thus shorten its lifespan. Looks like my concerns were justified.

Using the turbo charger (temp rises to 100 degrees Fahrenheit):

hot.jpg

Using the standard charger (temp rises to 89 degrees Fahrenheit)

cooler.jpg

eagles4585

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Re: Beware: Turbo charging will heat up your battery...

Good to know. I might just keep using my HTC charger if I end up getting the droid turbo

drxtal

May 4, 2013
Visit site

Not being an expert in battery chemistry myself, is the 11 degree difference significant to battery health?

Posted via Android Central App

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

Not being an expert in battery chemistry myself, is the 11 degree difference significant to battery health?

I think greater than "normal" heat in general is bad for batteries. From my understanding, heat definitely shortens the lifespan.

I feel this thing is only intended for an occasional quick charge if it's really needed, not for regular use. But that's just my opinion.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

I don't enough at this point to make an informed decision about Turbo charging. Battery and charging technology has changed greatly over the last decade. Part of this was the result of all the research related to electric power vehicles. Many of our long standing beliefs about batteries and charging have become out-dated. Pushing a higher voltage into a battery to charge in a short time was believed to cause damage in the past. Simple basic physics means there will be a temperature increase of some nature.

Is that still true? Is the temperature difference documented enough to damage new design batteries? Depending on what you read and who you decide to believe, maybe. Or maybe not.

Is there a battery expert on the forum? Tell us your qualifications and what you believe to be the truth about the current generation of batteries. I want to know what you think and just as important is why I should believe you instead of an other individual.

drew_sf

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

What about when you use a power intensive app like one for navigating and the whole phone heats up? Is it the battery heating up or the internal electronics and wouldn't you be concerned about that heat as well?

fluffymangoes

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

I don't enough at this point to make an informed decision about Turbo charging. Battery and charging technology has changed greatly over the last decade. Part of this was the result of all the research related to electric power vehicles. Many of our long standing beliefs about batteries and charging have become out-dated. Pushing a higher voltage into a battery to charge in a short time was believed to cause damage in the past. Simple basic physics means there will be a temperature increase of some nature.

Is that still true? Is the temperature difference documented enough to damage new design batteries? Depending on what you read and who you decide to believe, maybe. Or maybe not.

Is there a battery expert on the forum? Tell us your qualifications and what you believe to be the truth about the current generation of batteries. I want to know what you think and just as important is why I should believe you instead of an other individual.

ive been in the rc hobby and that dealed with lipo battery charging heavily. i do know that charging a battery higher than the recommended amperage is not healthy to the battery. it will heat up and it will shorten life span. if "turbo charging" is continued, the battery will not hold a full charge and will eventually not charge at all. if you charge the battery at the max amperage level it is deemed safe but not recommended. on many rc hobby lipo chargers there is a "fast charge" mode but experts and hobbyist say to never use it. i think this is relateable to phone batteries.

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Rumors are that the upcoming "druid turbo" will ONLY ship with the turbo charger. I don't think Motorola would do that if the battery couldn't handle it.

The turbo technology varies charging voltage based on the battery level. The more drained the battery is, the higher the voltage supplied, but as better levels increase, the voltage drops to more traditional levels.

Posted via the Android Central App

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I have the turbo charger and have only used it occasionally. I'm still using the regular charger when I'm not in a hurry and certainly when I leave the phone on the charger overnight. If Moto's intention was for this charger to be used occasionally in a pinch, then it does the job very well. However, if there's a chance it can harm the battery or shorten its lifespan in any way if used regularly, I certainly would like to know that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance