Moto X 2014 Screen DPI and "real estate" ??

mdmogren

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone.
I am a former Moto X 2013 user and just got my new Moto X 2014 today.
From the start I was skeptical about the bigger screen, but I was willing to give it a chance, there must be some reason everyone wants these massive things, right?

The form factor is a little awkward but I'm getting used to it, but I am completely baffled and honestly pissed off at the way the DPI/screen scaling works. If I pull up a website on my old Moto X it shows EXACTLY the same amount of content as my new one, same with gmail, the launcher (which I replaced as a work around) and many other apps. This makes absolutely no sense to me, I'm not elderly or vision impaired, why blow everything up to comical proportions? Show me more content on a bigger, higher resolution screen, or what's the point?

I know there's no root yet for this phone so might be screwed as far as hacks or workarounds.

Any tricks, this drive anyone else crazy?

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Older user here with failing eyes. I buy bigger phones specifically because it lets me comfortably read stuff without increasing font size (which often messes up app and website layouts).

I'd recommend getting a smaller phone, but I know the market has moved so that all the flagship phones are big. Works great for me, but sucks for you.

StutterStep

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
You can change dpi without root. You just need to enable usb debugging in the developer options and open adb after downloading the android sdk and run the command Adb shell wm density xyz where xyz is the dpi number

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton