Set up tap and pay, got nothing at a vending machine?

TimWeis75

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I just set up my Moto X with tap and pay this morning. I set up google wallet. Google wallet informs me tap and pay is ready with my card. Settngs - tap and pay has Google Wallet selected.

I attempted to buy a pop in the breakroom vending machine.

The tap and pay logo is there on the credit card swipe box, plain as day. The only thing that happens when I put the back of the phone up to it is that the three blinking lights at the bottom of the box turn off and one light goes steady. Nothing happens at the phone. The display continues to fluctuate between "swipe card or tap here." and "tap softcard here" like it did before I put the phone up to it.

I've held the phone up to the box for 60 seconds, both with Google Wallet open and also at the home screen. Phone was unlocked at every attempt.

I've followed all the troubleshooting steps at the Google Wallet help.

My mastercard has a tap and pay NFC chip, and my phone chirps when I rest it on my wallet, leading me to believe the phone's NFC reader is working.

Is there a "cooling off period" or something? Did I miss a step?

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If you have verified that NFC is enabled in phone settings, I would bet that is the vending machine. Try a different [language removed by Moderator] machine before you spend more time diagnosing the phone, until you know for sure it isn't working.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkHirt

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
The vending machines were I work only do not accept Google wallet payment. the only mobile option is ISIS wallet.

Look at the reader on the machine it should show an error message

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Same thing happens to me at the machines in my building. Took me a few tries to realize the machines only accept isis (or whatever is called now) payments.

Posted via the Android Central App

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
+1 for ISIS diagnosis. The only time I've had Google Wallet fail at a working terminal was at a vending machine. "SoftCard" is the rebranded ISIS, so I believe the message you saw was basically saying no Google Wallet (or Apple Pay, for that matter).

TJH

Posted via Android Central App

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree that your issue is probably the vending machine. I've had mixed success with them. Some work with Google Wallet; some don't.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

ironwill989

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Even though Softcard is gone this problem still occurs, which leads me to believe that Google was full of **** when they ascertained that they bought technology from Softcard Inc. And they just pulled a Bill Gates style buy off

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36