Moto X durability?

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Hello there!

I am thinking in moving from my iPhone 5 to the Moto X 2nd gen and I'm wondering about the device's durability: How does it handle scratches and little falls?

Since my country doesn't offer Moto Maker services, all we got is the Soft Touch Black edition and the White Bamboo (with light aluminium frame). We also have the black leather version which I don't like it very much.

I treat my phones very well and I rarely dropped it - sometimes I just bump it onto a wall corner or something like that but nothing much severe.

Does the Moto X requires a case/bumper or is it completely optional? Does the dark aluminium frame shows more scratches or it is the same? Is the bamboo back too sensitive or is it ok to use without a case?

Thanks in advance!

hwlester

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I've heard reports of the bamboo back peeling. I have the black one. I have had it for several weeks and have dropped it a few inches on its face (glass down) and bumped it into things a couple of times with no ill effects.

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
That's good to know. Either way - bamboo or black soft - I plan on using it without a case since the new Moto X design is that what made me choose between the other flagships. Of course the Pure Droid experience and things like Moto Speak are godly but the design is superb!

Vizi

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
That's good to know. Either way - bamboo or black soft - I plan on using it without a case since the new Moto X design is that what made me choose between the other flagships. Of course the Pure Droid experience and things like Moto Speak are godly but the design is superb!

Don't underestimate how slippery this phone is. The sides are very thin and smooth. I have the soft touch black with a TPU case on it. It really doesn't make it look much different, but, it does take away a lot of the slipperiness. Just my $.02.

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Don't underestimate how slippery this phone is. The sides are very thin and smooth. I have the soft touch black with a TPU case on it. It really doesn't make it look much different, but, it does take away a lot of the slipperiness. Just my $.02.

I must tell you: this is one of the main reasons I am thinking in buying the soft touch one. I admit, the bamboo one have a gorgeous design, very unique, but I am very afraid of it slipperiness.

I would rather get the soft one with some kind of bumper. I don't think the case is necessary because of its rubber properties - but this is just a guess since I don't own one, I just touched it on a retail store.

But, again, the bamboo one is so cool... It is a tough decision!

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
The bamboo one actually isn't too slippery. I had it for a week before I traded for football, but I noticed that when my hands were really dry then it would be a little slick. However, if my hands were even slightly moist then the wood was grippier

Posted via the Android Central App

Snake Griffin

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I can't speak to the 2014 but my 2013 has been dropped onto hard concrete three different times from chest level (I'm about 5'10") and it came away with some scratches or chips on the side but the screen is in great condition still and the phone runs just as well as it did on day one.

Posted via Android Central App

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
The bamboo one actually isn't too slippery. I had it for a week before I traded for football, but I noticed that when my hands were really dry then it would be a little slick. However, if my hands were even slightly moist then the wood was grippier

Slightly moist? I have heard that you can't get the bamboo back wet or else it will stain because of the water... Is it true?

I mean, I don't plan on trowing my phone into the sea but I'm afraid of permanent stains if it gets a little unexpected rain on my way.

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I can't speak to the 2014 but my 2013 has been dropped onto hard concrete three different times from chest level (I'm about 5'10") and it came away with some scratches or chips on the side but the screen is in great condition still and the phone runs just as well as it did on day one.

Posted via Android Central App

Good to know that are people with some guts to use their phones without cases! I mean, the smartphone isnt like a refrigerator, you know? You will mostly trade it in a couple of years so there's no need to be that afraid - unless you''re a very careless person, of course.

Besides, I can't find good bumpers / thin cases on Ebay/Amazon - which means it will be probably impossible to find any here in Brazil.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Hello there!

I am thinking in moving from my iPhone 5 to the Moto X 2nd gen and I'm wondering about the device's durability: How does it handle scratches and little falls?

Since my country doesn't offer Moto Maker services, all we got is the Soft Touch Black edition and the White Bamboo (with light aluminium frame). We also have the black leather version which I don't like it very much.

I treat my phones very well and I rarely dropped it - sometimes I just bump it onto a wall corner or something like that but nothing much severe.

Does the Moto X requires a case/bumper or is it completely optional? Does the dark aluminium frame shows more scratches or it is the same? Is the bamboo back too sensitive or is it ok to use without a case?

Thanks in advance!

While I wouldn't recommend using any phone without a case if you think you can handle it, go for the soft touch black edition. It should hold up much better to wear and tear.

From what I've seen aluminium sides can really absorb the shock of a drop completely, saving the phone's internals however the metal frame will show visible signs of scratches and bumps because of the *almost* complete absorption of the drop.

Also Gorilla Glass 3, used in the Moto X is very resistant to scratches from everyday items like keys(and possibly even knives) however the screen *can* shatter due to a drop.

The Moto X is more durable than any average plastic smartphone but you should still be careful.

Good to know that are people with some guts to use their phones without cases! I mean, the smartphone isnt like a refrigerator, you know? You will mostly trade it in a couple of years so there's no need to be that afraid - unless you''re a very careless person, of course.

Besides, I can't find good bumpers / thin cases on Ebay/Amazon - which means it will be probably impossible to find any here in Brazil.

I'm not that careless and I had views similar to yours, so I went without a case on my Sony Xperia S back in 2012, that phone lasted only 4 months and completely stopped working due to a few drops when I was playing badminton.

Since it had no metal frame it got damaged pretty badly. Since then I've always been putting a case on my phones.

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
While I wouldn't recommend using any phone without a case if you think you can handle it, go for the soft touch black edition. It should hold up much better to wear and tear.

From what I've seen aluminium sides can really absorb the shock of a drop completely, saving the phone's internals however the metal frame will show visible signs of scratches and bumps because of the *almost* complete absorption of the drop.

Also Gorilla Glass 3, used in the Moto X is very resistant to scratches from everyday items like keys(and possibly even knives) however the screen *can* shatter due to a drop.

The Moto X is more durable than any average plastic smartphone but you should still be careful.

I'm not that careless and I had views similar to yours, so I went without a case on my Sony Xperia S back in 2012, that phone lasted only 4 months and completely stopped working due to a few drops when I was playing badminton.

Since it had no metal frame it got damaged pretty badly. Since then I've always been putting a case on my phones.

That was a very constructive post, thank you!

While I think the bamboo one is gorgeous, I believe that I will feel more safe with the black one with some kind of frame.

I have seen some white/bamboo models with different cases but, in my opinion, it looses completely it uniquiness. I think that if have to put a case to feel more safe, the black one is the right choice.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I can't speak for the wood model, but if the plastic backed 2014 X is anything like the 2013 x it is very durable. I've dropped mine a few times and I don't even have a mark.

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm using the stock bumper & love it. See Moto web site.

That's my concern buddy: these bumpers does not ship to Brazil.

Actually, this is the only reason why I didn't buy a Moto X yet: I can't find a decent bumper. If I will wear it naked, I will buy the bamboo one, if I can find a good bumper, then I will head to the soft touch one because the design is ruined anyways.

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I can't speak for the wood model, but if the plastic backed 2014 X is anything like the 2013 x it is very durable. I've dropped mine a few times and I don't even have a mark.

Yeah but the 2014 version does have a darkned metal frame - I am afraid it will get pretty ugly with any tiny mark.

Maybe that's why I am so attracted to the white/bamboo one: the aluminium frame is clear and it wont show the scratches that easily. At least on my iP5 the scratches are unnoticeable and the metal frame is very alike the Moto X 2014.

But knowing that the phone material is durable is a relief. At least I know it wont break so easily. I saw countless reports of shattering glasses as salmanahmad reported.

Snake Griffin

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Shattering the phone screen is just a matter of bad luck. Most high quality/flagship phones out there will survive the impact with hard ground unless the phone just hits at the wrong spot. I've seen a couple friends shatter an iPhone screen after dropping one with a case on the phone (I know, that's just really bad luck and cases do help decrease chance of this happening). I really like the in-hand feel of the Moto X and using a case with it really defeats the purpose of owning this phone for me. I'm quite alright with the consequences of dropping the phone but I know that most people aren't. Part of it is that I know that I can pick up another one on Swappa for <$200 should I need a replacement (I know this doesn't quite apply to the 2014 model).

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Shattering the phone screen is just a matter of bad luck. Most high quality/flagship phones out there will survive the impact with hard ground unless the phone just hits at the wrong spot. I've seen a couple friends shatter an iPhone screen after dropping one with a case on the phone (I know, that's just really bad luck and cases do help decrease chance of this happening). I really like the in-hand feel of the Moto X and using a case with it really defeats the purpose of owning this phone for me. I'm quite alright with the consequences of dropping the phone but I know that most people aren't. Part of it is that I know that I can pick up another one on Swappa for <$200 should I need a replacement (I know this doesn't quite apply to the 2014 model).

That's exactly how I feel, every single word.

I ended up deciding on the black soft touch version - not because its safer but because I read on the other thread about the peeling on the wood back. If you guys think Motorola customer service is bad at the US/Europe, I wish you never experience it here in Brazil because it is awful.

If I get too picky on the dark aluminium scratches I will just order a bumper from case-mate and that's it. Of course it will take like 3 months to arrive here but, oh well...

Thanks everyone for your words and thoughts! Great community indeed.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Slightly moist? I have heard that you can't get the bamboo back wet or else it will stain because of the water... Is it true?

I mean, I don't plan on trowing my phone into the sea but I'm afraid of permanent stains if it gets a little unexpected rain on my way.

Haha ya, kind of weird to say. I'm not talking about getting your hands intentionally wet. But if my hands were clammy or even slightly sweaty then the back just gripped more. I'm not sure about staining as I didn't have the bamboo for long (due to "peeling" which is a whole other story)

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Haha ya, kind of weird to say. I'm not talking about getting your hands intentionally wet. But if my hands were clammy or even slightly sweaty then the back just gripped more. I'm not sure about staining as I didn't have the bamboo for long (due to "peeling" which is a whole other story)

That peeling issue made my mind on choosing the soft touch model. I was really concerned about the bamboo's durability and that thread really helped out!

Snake Griffin

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
The soft touch should feel very nice compared to all plastic phones out there. It has a very nice and relatively grippy texture. Hope it gets to you sooner than 3 months :eek: