Should I upgrade to the Moto?

smrdroid

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Razr Maxx HD owner thinking of upgrading via today's Moto sale

Greetings. I have a Razr Maxx HD and am thinking of buying a Moto X today via the no contract sale price Moto is offering. While I am eligible for an upgrade, I save $25 a month on Verizon by not using it.
I have considered all the usual suspects - iPhone 6, HTC One, Galaxy S5, LG3 etc., but am tempted by the sale price and have been generally pleased with my Moto.

A few questions:

1. Would you buy your Moto X again?
2. Should I get the 32 GB version (only $50 more).
3. Can you type on the phone with one hand?
4. I am not a road warrior, so battery life is not critical, but I have been spoiled by the Razr Maxx's battery. How is the X likely to compare? I do plan on getting a turbo charger.
5. Any other thoughts, comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Razr Maxx HD owner thinking of upgrading via today's Moto sale

Greetings. I have a Razr Maxx HD and am thinking of buying a Moto X today via the no contract sale price Moto is offering. While I am eligible for an upgrade, I save $25 a month on Verizon by not using it.
I have considered all the usual suspects - iPhone 6, HTC One, Galaxy S5, LG3 etc., but am tempted by the sale price and have been generally pleased with my Moto.

A few questions:

4. I am not a road warrior, so battery life is not critical, but I have been spoiled by the Razr Maxx's battery. How is the X likely to compare? I do plan on getting a turbo charger.

I bought the 16GB version. I stream all my music via Play Music, and I have a sandisk Micro USB OTG Flash Drive in case I want to carry a large movie or TV Shows around. I love gaming, but I have my Xbox for that (can't stand shooters and console games on a phone, so I don't download large games. My largest is the Room 2, which is about 300mb). I have all my apps installed, and still have over 7gb of free space.

You have to analyze how you use your phone. For 90% of people, 16gb will be enough. If you like to keep music and large games on your phone, you're better off getting the 32gb.

Posted via the Android Central App

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

This was my battery life yesterday, which was the second day of owning the phone. All in all, I'm satisfied. The phone is perfect ergonomically, but depending on the size of your hand, one handed typing may be difficult.

This is the best phone I've ever owned. And I would not hesitate to buy it again.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 661.jpg
    661.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 21

smrdroid

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

Thanks Luke!
Anyone else care to weigh in? I have 35 minutes to go before ordering it.....

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I'm probably too late with this, since I believe the Cyber Monday sale is already over, but here goes:

You bet. I had the 2013 Moto X, which I got on contract, and I liked it so much I paid full price for the 2014 one. I just had to have it, and haven't regretted it.

Hard to say, since I always go with the 32 GB version (got burned on a 16 GB Atrix years ago.) Plenty of people are satisfied with just 16 GB, but I like knowing I have the extra "breathing room" so to speak.

I really can't but I have small hands. It's a nice size, though, and I didn't think I would adjust so quickly to a larger screen since I thought the 2013 X was so perfect. I find myself using the X rather than my iPad for news apps, which gives you some idea how nice the screen is.

You won't get two days from the X, but I easily get a day and three-quarters with mine. If I have a day of particularly heavy use, I have to put it on the charger at the end of the day, but I have to work at it to run the battery down that far. I average about 4-4.5 hours of screen time with mine. With that being said, I have to add I have a great signal at home and at work, and I think that helps a lot. I also have a turbo charger, and love it love it love it! I use it when I need to charge my phone at work, and it's great. It's definitely worth the money to me.

I think the camera is okay - not great for low light situations - but okay. Since you'd be coming from a Moto phone, you pretty much know the drill with Moto cameras. It's definitely better for me than the 2013 X was, and there are rumors about that Lollipop improves it still (I'm on AT&T so no Lollipop for me yet). If you're coming from, say, an iPhone, you will be disappointed with the camera, but otherwise for most people it's just fine.

And Moto Display - can't say enough good things about it. I absolutely plan to use Moto Display over Google's version with Lollipop, and I can't ever imagine having a phone without it. Once you have it, you'll see - it's incredibly useful. Can't beat just waving my hand over my phone to see what time it is! That never gets old for me.

Finally, it's a beautiful phone. It really is. I do hate having a cover on it, which I do, since it's such a looker. Like luke31 says, this "phone is perfect ergonomically."

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

A few questions:

1. Yes, definitely.
2. 32GB. 16 is livable, but why not grab the extra space when you can?
3. Yes, but then I have big hands and I use SwiftKey/Swype/Google's own swiping keyboard.
4. Poorly compared to the Maxx, from what I understand of that phone. That said, I have never had a problem lasting a full day (16-17 hours) with moderate use (typically 2-3 hours SOT, no optimization and battery to spare).
5. Make it yours! The Moto X customization options are one of its biggest selling points. Unless you're looking for maximum resale value, go for colorful/exotic backs rather than plain black on black plastic.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

A few questions:

Get the turbo. Pretty much the same battery life as the RMHD. I had the RMHD and went to the turbo. I get 40+ hours with the turbo. My wife has the X but has difficulty making it through a day without charging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34