What Do We Lose On Pure Edition Versus AT&T Version?

MrVeda

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Coming from the Nexus 5, I ordered the N6 but way too big and slippery to use. Now looking to order a 2014 Moto X 32GB Pure Edition or AT&T branded phone on Moto's site paying full price with discount code.

My questions are:

1. What Moto features do we lose on Pure Edition versus the AT&T version (Ambient, talk back, auto wake?)
2. Will call quality be as good on Pure Edition using the AT&T network?
3. Some posters claim to have better battery life on Pure Edition versus the AT&T model - is this a one off or true for all users?
4. Will AT&T Visual Voicemail work on Pure Edition? (Did not work on N6 nor many other Apps)
5. Can anyone with the normal back (non leather or wood) confirm if it has good grip or very slippery?

Thanks in advance!

gothand

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Coming from the Nexus 5, I ordered the N6 but way too big and slippery to use. Now looking to order a 2014 Moto X 32GB Pure Edition or AT&T branded phone on Moto's site paying full price with discount code.

My questions are:

1. What Moto features do we lose on Pure Edition versus the AT&T version (Ambient, talk back, auto wake?)
3. Some posters claim to have better battery life on Pure Edition versus the AT&T model - is this a one off or true for all users?
4. Will AT&T Visual Voicemail work on Pure Edition? (Did not work on N6 nor many other Apps)
5. Can anyone with the normal back (non leather or wood) confirm if it has good grip or very slippery?

Thanks in advance!

I'm in the exact same boat as you and am switching from the N6 to Motox X for the same reason, also on AT&T. FWIW, I purchased my N6 from T-mobile and then activated on AT&T and it works just fine. Visual voicemail can be installed by sideloading the app. There is a thread in the N6 folder titled apps that don't work. It'll point you in the right direction.

Can't speak to your other questions as I do not have the phone yet.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

My questions are:

Thanks in advance!

I don't have mine yet but..

1. All these work on Pure Edition from what I can tell. You don't lose these features with the Pure Edition.
2. Should be exactly the same
3. Since the Pure Edition does not have all the AT&T bloatware installed, it should get better battery life.
4. No clue..
5. Based on my research, the plain back is not slippery.

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
How important is band 29? That's the only frequency that AT&T has over Pure.

Posted via the Android Central App

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

My questions are:

Thanks in advance!

I actually own both... a Pure Edition and an AT&T version.

1. They are the same, except for no bloat in the Pure Edition.
2. They are the same... I have heard no difference. Actually, I like the Pure Editions data reception better... I lost data using the AT&T version in the Gym while streaming Pandora, but had no issues using the Pure Edition in the same Gym.
3. I have not seen any difference in the battery life... mostly because I disabled all the unnecessary bloat apps right away.
4. Yes, just download the app and it works just fine.
5. I never owned a leather... the AT&T version is black back and my Pure Edition has Purple. I find it very comfortable in my hand and it can be a little slick, but I have yet to let it slip out of my hand. I don't think it's slippery, or any worse than any other and probably a lot better feel than the new HTC One. I say it's at least equal to the S4.

I used the AT&T version for a couple weeks before getting the Pure Edition and have used the Pure Edition since arriving.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
How important is band 29? That's the only frequency that AT&T has over Pure.

Where do you see that? Motorola's site doesn't list it. Regardless, Band 29 is a downlink only band at 700MHz and isn't used by any US carriers to my knowledge. When the Pure edition was launched it did not have the full band support, but it has been updated (in software) to have the same bands as the AT&T model.

Moto X - Pure Edition (GSM Unlocked with T-Mo SIM - XT1095):

GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 900, 1700 (AWS), 1900, 2100 MHz)
4G LTE (2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 17)

AT&T (XT1097):

GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 900, 1700 (AWS), 1900, 2100 MHz)
4G LTE (2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 17)

MrVeda

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I actually own both... a Pure Edition and an AT&T version.

1. They are the same, except for no bloat in the Pure Edition.
2. They are the same... I have heard no difference. Actually, I like the Pure Editions data reception better... I lost data using the AT&T version in the Gym while streaming Pandora, but had no issues using the Pure Edition in the same Gym.
3. I have not seen any difference in the battery life... mostly because I disabled all the unnecessary bloat apps right away.
4. Yes, just download the app and it works just fine.
5. I never owned a leather... the AT&T version is black back and my Pure Edition has Purple. I find it very comfortable in my hand and it can be a little slick, but I have yet to let it slip out of my hand. I don't think it's slippery, or any worse than any other and probably a lot better feel than the new HTC One. I say it's at least equal to the S4.

I used the AT&T version for a couple weeks before getting the Pure Edition and have used the Pure Edition since arriving.

Many thx fatboy97, just to confirm, you were able to install the VVM App for AT&T on the Pure Edition phone? If so was that on Kitkat or Lollipop?

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I have the pure edition and I'm on AT&T. It works flawlessly. You will get full LTE and what not.

Only difference is that pure edition doesn't have the bloatware that AT&T includes on their version of the phone.

Good luck

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Many thx fatboy97, just to confirm, you were able to install the VVM App for AT&T on the Pure Edition phone? If so was that on Kitkat or Lollipop?

Yes, I'm still on KK... just FYI, even though you might have seen some with Lollipop on their devices talking a lot about it, there is still a Soak Test going on right now and Lollipop is not official yet.

A Birdie told me that Motorola just released an update to the early version of Lollipop that most saw.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I am very interested in the Moto X 2014 for its antenna which Moto put a lot of work in.

As an Engineer the science behind the new antenna is pretty impressive and if it works like they claim it should be a reception champ. It is my understanding that the two devices the Pure and the at&t Mobility branded device are in parity band wise now, so LTE reception should be the same now.

Dan