Random albums in Gallery

Ryan Stewart4

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
At least once or twice a month, I'm getting these random folders in the android gallery. Tonight, I had over a thousand! Thank God for the select all button, eh? Does anyone know what causes this and how do I disable it?? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Device: Moto x 2013

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 40322.jpg
    40322.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 48

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Do the pictures look familiar? Something from a vidcast or someplace you went in a browser? If so, the app (vidcast or browser) wasn't written correctly. Find the folder it stores the photos in (it's probably a bunch of subfolders named 736131213149529, etc.) and create a file named .nomedia (no charactrs to the left of the dot, and the file doesn't have to have content - only the file name matters) in the main folder. That will keep Media Scanner from scanning the main folder and finding the subfolders and the pictures in them. If Media Scanner doesn't find a picture, a picture app won't show the picture (or the folder (album) it's in.

(Any app that stores media files that you didn't specifically tell it to store should create that file in its top-level folder.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
They could also be thumbnails that are cached by an app for later use. Like Rukbat said, a good developer knows to place a .nomedia file in those folders. If you keep using the app, those images will keep reappearing, even if you delete them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol