Hey everybody. Hope you all had a good Christmas. I've only had my moto x 2014 for a week or two now, but before buying it I obviously did some research. I wanted the bamboo back but was slightly concerned about whether it was actually practical with regards to durability etc. Anyways, I found some comments about the lifting which concerned me slightly but apart from that didn't find any negative comments. So I went for the bamboo back (which I'm really happy with btw). The top left corner of my bamboo back is ever so slightly raised. Certainly not anything to be worried about at the moment as far as I'm concerned. But even if it did lift up a little more, surely just squeezing a tiny bit of glue into the gap would fix the problem and make the phone good as new? Or am I missing something? And yes, I know that if you've bought a flagship phone for lots of money, you shouldn't have to be glueing stuff down. But surely that's a viable, quick and easy fix rather than going through the Motorola returns procedure (which I hear can be a frustrating process to say the least). It just seems that everyone on here is returning it when they have this problem.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-27-2014 07:55 AM
    Hmmmm. Not sure that a bit of glue would prevent an engineer from prising the back off. I wouldnt use any industrial strength stuff or anything. Just some regular glue ought to do it. So I reckon the back would still come off if deliberately prised off to access the insides.

12-27-2014 10:00 AM
    It just seems that everyone on here is returning it when they have this problem.
    A 32GB Moto X with a Bamboo back is $575 plus tax..

Sure you might be able to glue it but why would you? I have the bamboo back and can 100% guarantee you that if it peels, it's going back to Moto for an exchange. If it needs to be replaced 46 times then so be it..

There are a few reasons for this. 1) If everyone just glues it back on then Moto will never fix the issue. If enough are sent back then Moto will adjust the material and / or process they are using and solve the problem at time of manufacture. 2) If you spend almost $600 for a phone then you should expect and demand that it be flaw free..

My bamboo back is fine but if it starts to peel it's going back without a doubt..
    sharkita likes this.
    12-27-2014 11:30 AM
    A 32GB Moto X with a Bamboo back is $575 plus tax..

Sure you might be able to glue it but why would you? I have the bamboo back and can 100% guarantee you that if it peels, it's going back to Moto for an exchange. If it needs to be replaced 46 times then so be it..

There are a few reasons for this. 1) If everyone just glues it back on then Moto will never fix the issue. If enough are sent back then Moto will adjust the material and / or process they are using and solve the problem at time of manufacture. 2) If you spend almost $600 for a phone then you should expect and demand that it be flaw free..

My bamboo back is fine but if it starts to peel it's going back without a doubt..
    Hi raqball. I can completely understand your views and I agree with alot of what you say. As i said in my original post people shouldn't have to glue things on such an expensive purchase. But having said that, it just seems like making life harder for yourself by going through the hassle of sending stuff back to Motorola, when all it would take is 2 minutes to drop some glue in there and make the phone good as new. I've never had to return anything to Motorola so I'm just going off what lots of people on here seem to say about Motorola's sometimes appalling and convoluted customer service (I'm in the UK so I don't know if my returns would go to the same place and be dealt with by the same people as say US returns etc and get the same useless service?). But if it really is that bad then I personally would rather avoid it like the plague and just glue the darn thing. But it looks like im in the minority here!
    And regarding your first point saying if people just glue it themselves Motorola won't know about it or do anything about it. While its a nice thought, I think that you're maybe looking at the world through rose tinted spectacles. Do you honestly think that Motorola isn't already aware by now that this is a problem? (Like i say, theres lots of people already sent theirs back because of it). Yet they still send these phones out to people every day knowing this. And if they do know its a problem what makes you think they'll actually do anything about it? They certainly wouldn't be the first phone manufacturer to know about an issue with their product but do nothing about it. Or maybe they will do something. Who knows? We will have to wait and see. BTW did the moto x 1st gen suffer the same problem with the wooden back? Because if it did then Motorola have certainly had enough time to look into it and do something about it if they're going to

12-27-2014 12:50 PM
    BTW did the moto x 1st gen suffer the same problem with the wooden back? Because if it did then Motorola have certainly had enough time to look into it and do something about it if they're going to.
    Actually if you search the 2013 Moto X forum there were a few complaints about wood backs peeling. People did send them back to Moto and got replacements, though, and it didn't stop me from considering getting one when the 2014 X came out. Those wood backs are just so great looking. I paid full price for my X, and I agree with Raqball - any problems, it's going back to Moto to be replaced. Part of the appeal of the X is it's supermodel good looks, so yeah - if I had a wood back and it started peeling, back to Moto it would go for a replacement.
    12-27-2014 01:52 PM
    Actually if you search the 2013 Moto X forum there were a few complaints about wood backs peeling. People did send them back to Moto and got replacements, though, and it didn't stop me from considering getting one when the 2014 X came out. Those wood backs are just so great looking. I paid full price for my X, and I agree with Raqball - any problems, it's going back to Moto to be replaced. Part of the appeal of the X is it's supermodel good looks, so yeah - if I had a wood back and it started peeling, back to Moto it would go for a replacement.
    Hi sharkita. Yeah I paid full price for mine too so I know where you're all coming from. And as you say, the wooden back does look so good and unusual that I couldn't resist it even though I suspected it may be more problematic than other materials. If theyve been peeling since the days of the moto x 1st gen then my suspicions that Motorola may not be doing anything about it seem correct or they would have sorted it by now. Thats a shame, as it also suggests that they aren't too bothered about customer satisfaction in many ways. As people keep saying, we're giving them lots of money for their products you would think that they would be bothered that people are satisfied.

I hope I'm not sounding like a Motorola basher. This is the first Motorola product I've owned and I'm happy with the phone in general. And like I've said, its no problem for me to glue it if it does get too bad. So I haven't got a downer on Motorola.

12-27-2014 02:04 PM