cannot click on phone numbers to dial out directly from the email app or the outlook app

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I recently purchased the (2014) Moto X for one of my fellow employees. He is an apple fan boy, so when it was his time for an upgrade of course I got him an Android device (with the notion I had 30 days to return if necessary)

He loves the device, his only gripe has been that he cannot click on phone numbers to dial out directly from the email app or the outlook app. He can however click on phone numbers through his Gmail app and it go straight to the dialer.

Anybody know a fix for this?

thanks in advance for your replies! I really want to shut him up about this.

hrrsncrawford

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Question for (2014) Moto X owners..

Nice suggestion! I appreciate the serious thought you must have put into your post.

Unfortunately we need to load the company email (IMAP) on his phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

I believe you can use other email accounts in the new gmail app. I already use hotmail in it . Look in the settings ! 😊

Will6371

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site

I use the app 'Mailwise' for my outlook account and it works great plus it syncs my outlook calendar and contacts, something that Gmail didn't do.

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site

I believe you can use other email accounts in the new gmail app. I already use hotmail in it . Look in the settings ! ??????

You are correct, I set his email up in the Gmail app. It however did not solve the issue. You still cannot press the number and it link to the dialer. Back to the drawing boards I suppose. Anybody have a similar issue or fix for the issue? I'm surprised more people have notice this issue.

Danv1369

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

Until you find a more suitable answer you can long press on the phone number to copy and then paste it into the dialer.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

That's odd. What is the format of the phone number? I just tested ###-###-#### and that was clickable through to the dialer for me.

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site

That's odd. What is the format of the phone number? I just tested ###-###-#### and that was clickable through to the dialer for me.

I dont think it matters, whether its xxx-xxx-xxxx or xxxxxxxxxx or (xxx) xxx xxxx my Note 4 is always able to port the click to the dialer. No luck so far. I am rather surprised that more Moto X owners aren't able to figure this one out?? Either that or they don't care, lol

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

I dont think it matters, whether its xxx-xxx-xxxx or xxxxxxxxxx or (xxx) xxx xxxx my Note 4 is always able to port the click to the dialer. No luck so far. I am rather surprised that more Moto X owners aren't able to figure this one out?? Either that or they don't care, lol

Or, as I already said, they are not seeing the behavior you're seeing. I just tested every US number format I can think of and it provides a link that opens in the dialer for every single one.

smrdroid

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

Or, as I already said, they are not seeing the behavior you're seeing. I just tested every US number format I can think of and it provides a link that opens in the dialer for every single one.

I have same issue; no auto dial on most numbers in email or websites. Use to work just fine on my Droid Razr Maxx HD (running KitKat and JB), Could it be that Lollipop doesn't support it?

mrjspeed

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Same issue for me. Can't click numbers in emails using GMail app or Outlook app. Are we saying other Moto X users have the numbers working in GMail?

I'm on Android 5.0

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site

I have same issue; no auto dial on most numbers in email or websites. Use to work just fine on my Droid Razr Maxx HD (running KitKat and JB), Could it be that Lollipop doesn't support it?

I highly doubt it has something to do with lollipop. Didn't have this problem when I had a turbo. Don't have the issue at all with my note 4

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

Same issue for me. Can't click numbers in emails using GMail app or Outlook app. Are we saying other Moto X users have the numbers working in GMail?

I'm on Android 5.0

I'm on stock 5.0 on my Moto X Pure Edition and I can click numbers in the Gmail app. Now, I do use a gmail account, not IMAP. Could that have something to do with it? Since I imagine you all have Google accounts for your Android phones, could you test it using your gmail address and see if you can click the link in that case?

Edit: I will say, I do see issues on some websites. It's about 50/50 as to websites that work and those that don't. Basically, if they properly use the tel HTML tags then it will work, but if it's just a phone number in plain text on a website it will not. In gmail though even plain text e-mails come through with the phone number working for me.

mrjspeed

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

could you test it using your gmail address and see if you can click the link in that case?

I tried sending myself a plain-text email using Gmail and it didn't work. It doesn't work in the gmail app with my Outlook, Yahoo, or Gmail accounts. Stock 5.0 Moto X Pure Edition. It also doesn't work in Outlook. I've looked through a few emails from companies and no highlighting, but I haven't tested the tel tagging myself.

Hmmm this is vexing. Why the different user experience? I hunted for a setting and couldn't find it.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

I tried sending myself a plain-text email using Gmail and it didn't work. It doesn't work in the gmail app with my Outlook, Yahoo, or Gmail accounts. Stock 5.0 Moto X Pure Edition. It also doesn't work in Outlook. I've looked through a few emails from companies and no highlighting, but I haven't tested the tel tagging myself.

Hmmm this is vexing. Why the different user experience? I hunted for a setting and couldn't find it.

Hm. So you sent it from Gmail to Gmail? I've tried from one Gmail account to another and from MS Exchange in Outlook 2010 on the desktop to Gmail and I end up with a clickable link in both cases. In both cases I just typed the phone number (didn't do any linking). And I do not see any options in the Gmail app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000