Is the X-2 Camera good with Lollipop right now?

Matheus Garcia

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
I currently own a G3 Stylus which is not that good, i had it for 3 months and my chance to trade it is pretty close... I was looking for x2, as i already tried motorola phone with moto G... I saw many reviews saying that the camera is crap, poor image quality and many things like that. Any updates solved it? I'm not always taking photos of landscapes, and i'm afraid of getting dissapointed...

Thanks.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
The camera works fine. Maybe it's not the best cell phone camera, but it is certainly not bad. If I were in your boat I'd trade for the X in a heartbeat.

Matheus Garcia

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
I was looking those fixed threads, many pictures there were so amazing and i didn't see why people say the câmera is not good... I'll be getting it in the next week or so, he's design is amazing and compared to my hardware, it is way better!! Thanks for the answers guys!

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I admit that photo is not my thing, so the pics look good enough to me, but from a technical standpoint I am confused at how the same Camera sensor found in other devices manages to take better pictures than the Moto X 2nd Gen does.

It would stand to reason that if IMX135 sensor is able to take good pictures on the LG G3 and Galaxy S4 than it should be able to take good pictures on the Moto X 2nd Gen as well, but it seems to fall short. I have read all kinds of explanations and maybe some of them are plausible, but as an Engineer I find it hard to believe that Moto's Engineers are unable to make it work right.

Dan

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
I find that the main problem is with focussing. The camera simply refuses to focus a lot of the time. When taking a picture under normal circumstances you can touch the screen to manually focus if you need to. But when using the camera within apps its not always possible to do that as touching the screen performs a different function, or simply does nothing. Alot of the time when I try to manually focus, no matter how many times i touch the screen it will try to focus but simply not be able to. The amount of times I've had to send blurry pictures to people is quite frankly embarrassing. And as mentioned by somebody else, low light pics aren't great either. I read lots of reviews of this phone before buying it so I knew it wasnt going to be the best camera ever, but i certainly wasn't expecting it to be as bad as it is. I'm actually quite astonished that in 2014 a smartphone manufacturer was willing and able to put a phone on the market that gives such a bad camera experience, and on its FLAGSHIP device as well. Its not as if this is a cheap "get what you pay for" phone. The rest of the phone is great though. But i would not recommend this phone to somebody who wants to use the camera a lot, and especially within apps.

Posted via the Android Central App

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I agree with nickname303 that focus is an issue. I'm noticing it a bit more with Lollipop than I did before. For me the low light pics are a tad improved, but just a tad. I seem to be getting better shots more often than before. In general, it's still a sub-par camera, and Lollipop didn't help a whole lot. The camera remains my only real complaint about the Moto X, but I'm on my 7th Motorola phone, so a super camera is clearly not a deal breaker for me. I still choose Moto every time because the good features far outweigh the bad (always the camera - no matter what model).

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Every phone camera I've used (since the original Droid X) has been more than adequate. They all take great shots if you have a steady hand, enough light, and you can compose a picture decently. In low light, the ALL do poorly, but are more than able to capture the image. The lens is the size of pencil lead...what does everyone expect? It you look at any phones sticky thread that has all the pictures posted in them, you'll find some great shots and some awful ones, regardless of what phone it is.

I shot this with a Nexus 4...

Untitled3.jpg

And this with a Nexus 5...

Untitled211.jpg

Look through the threads on either of those phones and you'll find tons of complaints about how much both phone's cameras suck.

I printed both of those as 16x20 inch prints and look like they were shot with a DSLR.

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm not saying that I expect miracles. And it IS possible to take SOME perfectly good photos with the moto x. But, a hell of a lot of the time you get crap pics too. And do you think its acceptable for the camera not to be able to focus a hell of a lot of the time? Believe me, I'm not hard to please at all when it comes to photo quality. I was perfectly happy with the pics my 5 year old phone took before I bought the moto x. But to have a camera that refuses to focus and leaves me sending crap pics to people is a bit of a joke in this age. If you think its OK to have a camera like that, just cos its in a smartphone and its not a proper DSLR or something, then that's your choice. I don't see Motorola advertising the camera as "good enough considering its only in a phone" though. And its amazing how most other phone manufacturers can come up with a phone that doesn't have the same problems. Making excuses for it just because its in a phone is just giving manufacturers the go ahead to use sub standard stuff in their products because they think people don't expect any better. But it IS possible to put a perfectly decent, usable camera in a phone, as most other manufacturers prove.

Last edited:

zerospace-net

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm not saying that I expect miracles. And it IS possible to take SOME perfectly good photos with the moto x. But, a hell of a lot of the time you get crap pics too. And do you think its acceptable for the camera not to be able to focus a hell of a lot of the time? Believe me, I'm not hard to please at all when it comes to photo quality. I was perfectly happy with the pics my 5 year old phone took before I bought the moto x. But to have a camera that refuses to focus and leaves me sending crap pics to people is a bit of a joke in this age. If you think its OK to have a camera like that, just cos its in a smartphone and its not a proper DSLR or something, then that's your choice. I don't see Motorola advertising the camera as "good enough considering its only in a phone" though. And its amazing how most other phone manufacturers can come up with a phone that doesn't have the same problems. Making excuses for it just because its in a phone is just giving manufacturers the go ahead to continue using sub standard stuff in their products because they think people don't expect any better. But it IS possible to put a perfectly decent, usable camera in a phone, as most other manufacturers prove.

Agreed. I've had my X's camera do the refuse-to-focus thing enough times now. Quite annoying. And low light? Seriously, forget it. Especially indoors. Yeah you can photoshop the heck out of the shots and turn out some really nice photos, but I don't feel like I should HAVE to do that to share a quick pic.

In regular daylight, or with a decent amount of daylight, the camera has no serious issues. It's low light where it turns to complete crap. I could post a few random shots of my dog taken indoors in very low light that are so grainy, it's downright terrible. I own a Nikon DSLR, and I've had a Sony Xperia phone with a 20MP camera. Never have I seen a shot out of the Moto X that rivals either one when shown at 100% zoom in Photoshop. I'd have to be out on a hike somewhere shooting a landscape during mid-day to come close to the quality of pics I get from my DSLR, I think.

For regular everyday photos, it does OK, though, which IMO, is mostly fine for a phone. It's nothing to write home about, but when it won't focus, that's irritating.The old Moto X's camera after many software updates got to be pretty decent. I wish they'd have started in the same place with the new Moto X camera -- at least the old one had started producing more respectable low light shots.

To answer the OP's question "is the X-2's camera good with lollipop right now?". Eh. Mixed bag, really. I've seen worse, and I've seen better. If you want a really good camera on your phone,then no. If you're good with an ok-under-most-circumstances-but-not-low-light camera, then I'd say it's fine. If you plan on shooting indoors at night, you're going to need extra lighting or be prepared for graininess in your images.

Rick Jacobs

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
For me the camera has always been Motorola's achilles heel on whatever Android version. The camera is just so hit and miss. I can take a pic and more often than not when I get a nice pic it surprises me. I always take multiple pics hoping I get one that looks good. Focus problems, grainy pics, evening and indoor pics are just pathetic at times. There is no reason for such a hit and miss camera. My 3 year old Samsung S3 took better pics as does my sons Droid Turbo. If I ignore the poor camera I really like the phone. I don't think software upgrades are going to fix the camera problems.That being said, I really hope whatever replaces the 2014 Moto X has a better camera because it may be the reason I jump ship and look at other Android phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary