Is there a way to check battery health?

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Is there an app or system tool which would tell me the health of my battery? I.e. How much charge it can hold? I've had my X for a year now and must charge it at least 10 times per week, not to mention the times I'm continually plugged in while navigating. I just cracked the screen and trying to figure out if it I even worth fixing as the battery may need replacing soon also.

Posted via Android Central App

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: How to check battery health

Is there an app or system tool which would tell me the health of my battery? I.e. How much charge it can hold? I've had my X for a year now and must charge it at least 10 times per week, not to mention the times I'm continually plugged in while navigating. I just cracked the screen and trying to figure out if it I even worth fixing as the battery may need replacing soon also.

GSam

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm&hl=en&token=6WGxOQw3

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

I've got this on my Moto X and it works like a charm. If you're able to, go ahead and get the pro version of the program It's $2.49 on the Google Play Store. That way you don't have the ads to deal with and you can get more detailed information. If your phone is rooted, you can also download the Root Companion. Well worth the download in my opinion.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Thanks, but I have that already. It's great for stats on battery usage, but I can't find anything about battery degradation. I used to have something when I had a palm pre which could tell me how much of the charge the battery was capable of holding. Called battery doctor or something. Hoping there is something like that for Android.

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

Thanks, but I have that already. It's great for stats on battery usage, but I can't find anything about battery degradation. I used to have something when I had a palm pre which could tell me how much of the charge the battery was capable of holding. Called battery doctor or something. Hoping there is something like that for Android.

Well. I believe that there is an app on the Google Play store that's called Battery Stats. Just type Battery Stats into the search bar in the Google Play store and see if that's what you're looking for.

Just a thought.

Posted via the Android Central App

halrhp

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
A new battery is cheaper than a new phone. I always have a second battery handy.

If you have a Galaxy, use the Galaxy Apps program 'Battery Level Meter'

Galaxy Apps -- Battery level meter shows the following:
Level,
Technology,
plugged in or not,
health, and
status

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
A new battery is cheaper than a new phone. I always have a second battery handy.

If you have a Galaxy, use the Galaxy Apps program 'Battery Level Meter'

Galaxy Apps -- Battery level meter shows the following:
Level,
Technology,
plugged in or not,
health, and
status

We are talking about the Motorola Moto X (2013) here and it has a non user removable battery.

Cab1230

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site

Yeah go into your phone app and type *#*#4636#*#*
And go to battery

Andie708

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I've learned from my phone's behavior that you can't rely on the phone's battery information. The 1650 mAh battery of my ZTE Obsidian Z820 phone appears to drain very fast, but its level "magically" jumps when I power the phone off and on. For example, I saw the phone show the battery was down to 10%, but after powering it off and on it immediately showed the battery at 100%. I also saw a jump from 25% to 75%, which shows the size of the jump isn't consistent or predictable. There was an incident when the phone showed the battery was down to 1%, but after power off/on it was able to play videos for a couple of hours more, proving the battery still had a lot of power remaining when the phone said 1%.

The battery voltage (which can be displayed by many apps, for example Battery Log) appears to be an unreliable measurement too. With no major power consumers active except for the phone's screen, I've seen the voltage change by 200 mV or more over the course of a few minutes, which seems very large since 200 mV corresponds to approximately 40% of battery capacity according to the "Voltage versus State-of-Charge" chart at batteryuniversity.com. I've seen the voltage climb a lot even though the phone wasn't connected to a charger. I've seen the voltage climb a lot while the level % fell a lot.

So I'm interested in a finding a more reliable measurement or calculation of the battery's remaining charge and/or its voltage. In addition to being able to determine whether it REALLY is time to replace the battery, I could use the reliable measurements to help me minimize damage to the battery by avoiding deep discharge and overcharge. (In other words, I would keep the battery level within a range of about 30% to 80%, or keep the voltage within a range of about 3.55V to 3.85V. I already run a custom E-Robot script that periodically makes a sound when the voltage is outside that range, which prompts me to connect or disconnect the charger, but the script is relying on the voltage measurement that appears unreliable. [Note: I'm running a brand new version of E-Robot that its developer sent me today as an .apk file, which isn't yet available at Google Play Store. A few days ago I emailed the developer asking him to add the voltage measurement to E-Robot, and he did. My previous E-Robot script made the sound when the percentage was below 35% or above 80%, but since % was too wildly unreliable, I asked the developer to add the voltage measurement.])

I'm also wondering whether there's a way to get my phone's unreliable stats to become more accurate. I tried the so-called "calibration" procedure that involves discharging until the phone turns itself off, followed by a charge to 100%, followed by a repeat of the deep discharge and full charge, but that didn't seem to have any effect on the weird battery behaviors. (I did notice that during the charging the phone quickly reaches 100% even though the voltage is less than 4V, and the voltage continues to climb gradually to over 4.3V if the phone remains connected to the charger. The voltage might have have climbed even higher but I disconnected the charger to avoid high voltage, which damages lithium batteries--as does low voltage.)