SIM-Unlocked Moto X won't update from Jelly Bean

TheBigChill

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
As the title says, I bought a new and SIM-Unlocked Moto X from a vendor (phone was originally a Sprint device), and when I try to update the software to presumably KitKat, they phone says I'm "Up-To-Date". The phone's settings show that I'm still on 4.2.2, and even the Motorola Device Manager on my home PC says that there are no updates available when using USB cable to check for updates. What's going on here? I know Sprint rolled-out 4.4.4 for this nearly a year ago.

Please advise on how to update

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like the phone may need to be active on that network to pick up the update.

TheBigChill

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
That would mean that everyone using an unlocked phone on a pre-pay plan would not receive Android OS updates, which we know is untrue. This is very confusing.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I have an unlocked ATT Note 4 now on T-Mo's network. Wasn't able to receive OTAs...had to go to Best Buy so they could update it manually

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
While I haven't tried this myself yet, this looks like it MIGHT, help. Let us know if it does, as I might have to try this in the future. I have a 2013 AT&T branded Moto-X, and I switched to Cricket a couple of months ago. I've been wondering if I will continue to get OTA updates (or rather, maybe how long I'll have to wait after everyone else gets them...). From this page that tells how to update your phone, there is a link with instructions about being able to do updates using the Motorola Device Manager program.

TheBigChill

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
While I haven't tried this myself yet, this looks like it MIGHT, help. Let us know if it does, as I might have to try this in the future. I have a 2013 AT&T branded Moto-X, and I switched to Cricket a couple of months ago. I've been wondering if I will continue to get OTA updates (or rather, maybe how long I'll have to wait after everyone else gets them...). From this page that tells how to update your phone, there is a link with instructions about being able to do updates using the Motorola Device Manager program.

This is one of the first things I tried, and also does not work. The Device Manager simply says that there are no updates. Thanks though.

TheBigChill

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Worth mentioning (?) is that this phone is being used on the Straight Talk BYOP plan. I'm using the ATT compatible SIM from their starter pack.