I have had my Moto x 2nd Gen since November, everything was fine except today all of a sudden I keep getting a message to update my security and it keeps asking me to encrypt my phone. I have done this about 10 times and as soon as I do a few minutes later I am asked once again to encrypt. My phone has to be encrypted because I have my work email on it and it is a Microsoft Exchange O365 account. But why all of sudden does it keep asking me to update my security. I have the encryption set-up, I have the six digit pin to unlock the phone. Anyone else having this issue?
    06-02-2015 03:34 PM
    I don't believe I have an answer to your problem, but if it helps, I know that in Android 5.0 Lollipop, encryption is enabled by default, meaning if you bought your phone with Lollipop installed, it is already encrypted from the get go. In Kit Kat 4.4, it was not the default option. Since you bought your phone in November, I'm assuming you started with Kit Kat and then installed the Lollipop update. Did you encrypt the phone while it still had Kit Kat, or encrypt it once you installed Lollipop? Did you do a factory reset on your device when you did the Lollipop upgrade?

Perhaps there was an error encrypting your device after you already loaded all your apps and data. A factory reset may solve your problem. If not, hopefully you can use the information above to search more specifically for a solution! Best of luck.
    06-05-2015 06:05 PM
    Sounds like it could be something that your work requires. My work started requiring phones with work email be encrypted. I got the same message once they turned the feature on.

As for phones being encrypted with lollipop they changed that after having so many issues on the Nexus 6.

Posted via the Android Central App
    jlgraham likes this.
    06-06-2015 05:55 AM
    It is likely a work policy. When you added work email, did it say it needed to be a phone administrator (or something like that)? If so, they can require it and you would get that prompt when it notices the phone isn't encrypted.
    06-11-2015 05:43 PM
    Yes I do need encryption for work but my phone has always been encrypted. But it keeps asking to be encrypted even though it is encrypted.
    07-27-2015 02:01 PM
    Same issue here. HTC 1 M7, Exchange has been working fine, phone encrypted, running Lollipop, then just today, keep getting message that phone needs to be encrypted. Encrypt setting is checked in Settings but greyed out. Cant even start encryption process. Phone just reboots, and is back to normal, Without the encryption login screen I noticed.. So I cant get Email now, and cant encrypt phone!
    Maybe need to hard reset.. ARGH
    08-10-2015 06:57 PM
    I had this happen to me as well but found a fix on another forum that worked .
    Setting my phone to require the PIN/Password on startup.
    You can change this under Settings, Security, Lock Screen and then selecting your locked type.
    09-09-2015 10:11 PM
    Same thing happend to me with this phone. Eventually decided to do a factory reset. all good for 1 day, then again it happend. So I came to the forums. found out that the solution from Rhonlith is good, but i thing it is also the problem of Moto Voice. If you have it enabled, this may be the cause. Once I disabled it, it worked just fine. Hope it stays this way.
    09-15-2015 10:07 AM
    I had similar issues. It started after I turned on Moto voice. I needed to turn off and cold boot. All is working again.
    10-24-2015 11:39 PM
    Bingo!

The Encryption look has been so frustrating.
    Ronlith's directions worked instantly!
    Thanks Ronlith!
    10-29-2015 08:49 AM