Can I use the Pure Edition on Verizon?

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok guys,
I know how aggravating it is when people ask questions that seemingly could have been answered via search. This is precisely why I just spent an hour reading through posts with similar questions, but have yet to find a definitive answer to my own question. There were several analogs concerning using a GSM N6 on Verizon, but the N6 is a sort of a different creature. So here I am. With a (hopefully) simple question:

I am currently a Verizon postpaid customer with an activated SIM in my Moto X 2014. In other words, there's absolutely no reason whatsoever to provide Verizon any IMEI information. Can I take my Verizon SIM and put it in a GSM Moto X Pure and get it to work?

I know all about the differences between CDMA and GSM, but as I understand it, LTE blurs those lines and all 4G equipped phones store the activation information on the SIM and therefore can be swapped from phone to phone.

I mean, theoretically this should work. Right?

Last edited:

walrusmonarch

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Verizon and the X Pure

I've never had Verizon, but I thought you need CMDA for voice calls at least. The pure edition does not do VoLTE yet. Besides, wouldn't Verizon's network identify the new IMEI after you put in the sim? Also I don't think the pure edition supports all the LTE bands verizon uses (I think it is missing one band).

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Re: Verizon and the X Pure

I have heard mixed reports regarding this issue, so this is partly from info around the web and partly my guess.

As far as I know it, Walrusmonarch is correct in that the GSM Pure edition does not have radios that support CDMA. Since it does not support VoLTE, (the VZW Moto X doesn't support VoLTE either, 5.1 will change that) it would need to have CDMA radios to make calls and receive texts. Until VZW and other carriers switch to LTE and VoLTE for everything, true universal "interoperability" isn't really possible. Even then, the carriers all use different LTE bands, with some overlap.

So basically, you'd probably be able to get some 4G data with the Pure edition (Walrusmonarch is right in saying the bands are different though, so coverage will likely be spotty), but I don't think it would work properly for calls/texts.

On the other hand, the VZW model is global and SIM unlocked, so you can use the VZW model on GSM networks, with the same caveat that not all bands are supported.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1