How has this phone aged?

adock22096

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking about picking up a moto x while they are on sale. I have the note 4 which I like I just want to have another phone to use once in a while.
How has this phone handled the lollipop update and how has the phone aged overall.
In the end are you happy with this phone?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I've had one since September and I use it primarily as a second device to my Nexus 6. It is definitely smaller, but performance wise it is doing great. With my usage (work device, mainly calls, email, texts) I can easily make it through any day but it does need to be charged either every night or every day. Otherwise, fantastic device.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I think it has aged very well. The AC editors actually discussed the age of the Moto X 2014 on the most recent podcast, and I think it was generally agreed to still be a very strong phone (and the Pure edition just received its 5.1 update).

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I think it has aged very well. The AC editors actually discussed the age of the Moto X 2014 on the most recent podcast, and I think it was generally agreed to still be a very strong phone (and the Pure edition just received its 5.1 update).

Verizon has 5.1 also. We got 5.0 last year, but 5.1 hit last week.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
a98a71e8f5f1675c023ac93b9efeb7bb.jpg

Arrived last week.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I keep coming back to my X because it vessels faster than my nexus and is more stable than my s6. Too bad the camera is complete crap.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not for the vz moto x it didn't.

That's a screenshot of my Verizon XT1096 Moto X 2014 running 5.1. You can see Verizon's 4G LTE logo, Verizon's name on the baseband and system version and confirm with the build number. They pushed the update Friday at 16:21 CST to my device, so I believe that it has begun rolling. I didn't flash anything.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator.

bevcraw

Net Mod Emeritus
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I was having some problems with multi-tasking with 5.0, but they seem to have been worked out with 5.1. I am totally happy with the phone. Now would be a great time to buy the Moto X Pure Edition.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I keep coming back to my X because it vessels faster than my nexus and is more stable than my s6. Too bad the camera is complete crap.

I get some pretty great pics with it. The tweaks after it's original release helped greatly. It's not on par with the top tier devices (GS6/iPhone 6) by any means but I certainly wouldn't call it complete crap.

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
I get some pretty great pics with it. The tweaks after it's original release helped greatly. It's not on par with the top tier devices (GS6/iPhone 6) by any means but I certainly wouldn't call it complete crap.

It's still pretty crap though. A camera that refuses to focus alot of the time is not much good to anybody. Sure you can get some good pictures when it decides to play ball. But alot of the time it just won't focus, either automatically, or when I touch the screen to manually focus. It's a great phone otherwise, but if the camera is at all important to someone I'd tell them to seriously consider getting a different phone. It's the only thing that let's this phone down

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine since October and have been completely happy with it. I love the software additions Moto has added to what is essentially stock Android, even if they are a little quirky at times (mine, for whatever reason, has a hard time understanding my "listen" command when I get a text in the car). I think I would sorely miss the various Moto touches if I replaced it, so I have no plans to until it gives up the ghost in some form. I do sometimes look wistfully at phones with better cameras, but that's really a minor concern for me.

K-Unit

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Maybe you need to clean the lens? It matters way more than you think and gets dirty easy if not careful because it's so close to the dimple.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I guess I don't take pics or video in tough environments because I've always found the camera to be very good. Even my iPhone-owning family members love the family shots I take for them. Maybe Google Photos helps with its automatic image enhancement, but the camera is great in typical well-lit settings.

My phone does not have a leather back; so, I expected it to last as well as it has. Battery life can be a concern on very busy days -- ending those day with about 10% juice left reminds me I should have bump charged in the truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Maybe you need to clean the lens? It matters way more than you think and gets dirty easy if not careful because it's so close to the dimple.

If you're saying that in response to my post then I'm afraid it's not anything as simple as a dirty lens. It's been like it since day one

hawkeye16qb

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I left a Samsung S6 and really I am much happier. I had a 2013 Moto X prior to the S6 so I was used to the mostly pure Android experience.

In the end touchwiz was so horrendously bad I wanted back in the Moto X family. Yes the camera of the X blows compared to the S6, both batteries are very average. But the user experience of the Moto X is sublime compared to the laggy bloated touchwiz. My two cents on how it's aged.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
If you can live with the junk camera, and mediocre battery life, it's still a great phone for what you can get it for today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz