Quick questions

Amyshubby

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a 2013 moto x on Verizon. I've had it for about a year and a half.

My family is switching from Verizon to Tmobile so I'm getting a new phone. Love the S6 but not at $675.

I'm considering getting a the Tmobile version of the 2014 moto x (I think that's called the pure edition) but had some questions.

My only complaints about my current phone (not surprisingly) are battery life and, even more so, the camera.

I was wondering how the 2nd generation of this phone compares to the first in these areas.

I know the camera isn't up to par with Samsung or lg, but for anyone that has used both Motorola phones was there a noticeable upgrade on the new one?

Thanks for any info.

Posted via Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The difference between 10MP and 13MP would take an enlargement and a magnifying glass to see. How good the picture is in either case will depend on the app. The stock camera app in most phones is garbage, but there are plenty of good free ones in the Play Store, so download some and play with them. Take a picture with each one of the same scene - brightly lighted outdoors, a night scene with some very bright, but small, lights included (to check spot metering), etc. Then use that app on all your phones until a better one comes out.

For faster action, save in Raw format - processing to a jpg takes time (up to 2 seconds in some apps). The batteries are about the same size, so Android version for Android version, they should be about the same. In some cases (depending on the apps you have), Greenify will make a huge difference in battery life. (Stay away from "RAM cleaner" apps - the best way to get better battery life if you use one is to uninstall it. I've actually run tests on them - and the best of them cost a lot of battery, they don't save anything.)

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
The difference between 10MP and 13MP would take an enlargement and a magnifying glass to see. How good the picture is in either case will depend on the app. The stock camera app in most phones is garbage, but there are plenty of good free ones in the Play Store, so download some and play with them. Take a picture with each one of the same scene - brightly lighted outdoors, a night scene with some very bright, but small, lights included (to check spot metering), etc. Then use that app on all your phones until a better one comes out.

For faster action, save in Raw format - processing to a jpg takes time (up to 2 seconds in some apps). The batteries are about the same size, so Android version for Android version, they should be about the same. In some cases (depending on the apps you have), Greenify will make a huge difference in battery life. (Stay away from "RAM cleaner" apps - the best way to get better battery life if you use one is to uninstall it. I've actually run tests on them - and the best of them cost a lot of battery, they don't save anything.)

What do you think is the best camera app? How can a camera app be better than the app developed specifically for a particular phone? Maybe they have different features? Do you think that the camera apps are actually doing their own jpeg processing or just handing off to the processing engine in the phone?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
There is always going to be people that will complain about one thing or another about this or any other smartphone. It needs this, it needs that, it'll be better with the next software update... bla, bla, bla.

And even complaints about "it lags behind the current crop of flagship phones"... of course it lags behind the current crop, the current crop just released their newest devices this year. And the current crop has all their bloated and clunky launchers taking up more and more space on their devices plus all their extra features I don't use, compare that to the Moto X's close to pure Android experience. The Moto X has the closest to pure android you will see unless you getting a Nexus.

And if you want the latest, wait and see what Motorola says in about a week or two at their next announcement.... chances are good we will see what they are doing with the next version. Motorola normally releases their new devices in Sept/Oct.

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
There is always going to be people that will complain about one thing or another about this or any other smartphone. It needs this, it needs that, it'll be better with the next software update... bla, bla, bla.

And even complaints about "it lags behind the current crop of flagship phones"... of course it lags behind the current crop, the current crop just released their newest devices this year. And the current crop has all their bloated and clunky launchers taking up more and more space on their devices plus all their extra features I don't use, compare that to the Moto X's close to pure Android experience. The Moto X has the closest to pure android you will see unless you getting a Nexus.

And if you want the latest, wait and see what Motorola says in about a week or two at their next announcement.... chances are good we will see what they are doing with the next version. Motorola normally releases their new devices in Sept/Oct.

Agreed

Posted via the Android Central App

Amyshubby

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
And even complaints about "it lags behind the current crop of flagship phones"... of course it lags behind the current crop, the current crop just released their newest devices this year.

I understand your point, but in fairness the 2013 moto x camera is noticeably worse then the majority of phones that came out even the year before. If it wasn't significantly updated, it would be a major concern.

Amyshubby

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site

I think that's good advice. The price of the 2014 model already dropped in anticipation of the new model. I am going to wait and see what the new model brings and then decide.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar