Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Moto X Style?

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Moto X Style?

for me, the "hit" of the phone will be timely updates. I just moved to Verizon and I have the Galaxy S6 (previously I was with AT&T). I forgot about how slow/bad Verizon is with their updates. My S6 doesn't have 5.1.1 or even the StageFright fix yet. I've always been a Nexus fan and being able to buy those and use on AT&T was huge. So for me being on Verizon, this phone will sort of fill my Nexus fix... a phone void of Verizon bloat (supposedly) and updates that only go from Google -> Motorola -> me instead of having Verizon in the mix. I do hope that when the new Nexii (Nexuses :) ) come out this fall, they follow a similar pattern and release a CDMA version. Likely not, that's why this Moto will be my Nexus phone :)

Last edited:

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I would go so far as to say "tiny" minority. Apple wouldn't have 2 supersized phones if there was a huge population of people wanting 4.5 to 4.7 inch phones.

Exactly, Apple went "big" for them remember the the 3.5 inch, yikes! iPhone 4/s, and the 4.0 inch iPhone 5. They too had to make the jump to bigger phones

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just because something is popular doesn't make it automatically crap.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Why are so many people whining about the battery size?

Seriously, what are you doing that you need a 4000mh or more battery? Are you honestly on your phone that much? At no point do you sit your device down and just enjoy the company of real people?

I assume most of you have no degree in engineering smartphones or any consumer electronics device. How can you simply say that Motorola could've done something?

If what Motorola hasn't created the phone for you, please stop complaining about it. Its not going to change anything.

I work in an office and use my phone (Note 4) quite frequently throughout the day. My phone comes off the charger at 6:30 and I don't return home until 6pm. Around 12 hours of use. During that time I make a dozen phone calls, send upwards of 50 text messages, a dozen emails, checking Twitter every half hour or so and checking the websites like these.

I come home with about 25-30% battery and 4-5 hours of screen on time.

That to me, that is moderate to heavy use. Any phone that can do that, and only takes a half hour to charge back to around 80% is golden in my book.

The Moto XPE appears to be capable of that.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Just because something is popular doesn't make it automatically crap.

I'm not sure if that's aimed at me, but I never said that.

I was implying that compromises made in an effort to cater to the consumer majority nearly always result in some degree of mediocrity on the delivered product. You can't please all of the people all of the time...and all that...

Loony2nz

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Battery is too small for the size of the screen and the number of pixels it has to push.
I have a 2014 Moto X and battery life is at best, bearable. I wanted the new Moto X Pure, but sadly, it's too big, and battery is too small.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
What I like least about it is that it's not out right now.

I do like they went away from AMOLED since I like the more natural look and no the oversaturated look, the camera seems hopeful and sounds better then previous but I'll wait to see results, and Micro SD.

ewak12321

Nov 13, 2013
plus.google.com

I'm sad that there's no OIS I wanted it to record videos in my current phone videos are shaky and not pleasant to watch. But I maybe still buy X Style after price drop and buy good real camera? Or waist go next Moto phones? Could next nexus phones have OIS?

Translated with my own brain to English ;)

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

I'm sad that there's no OIS I wanted it to record videos in my current phone videos are shaky and not pleasant to watch. But I maybe still buy X Style after price drop and buy good real camera? Or waist go next Moto phones? Could next nexus phones have OIS?

Translated with my own brain to English ;)
Digital image stabilization for videos is pretty good. I'd worry about no ois for stills, not so much for videos.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Why are so many people whining about the battery size?

Seriously, what are you doing that you need a 4000mh or more battery? Are you honestly on your phone that much? At no point do you sit your device down and just enjoy the company of real people?

I assume most of you have no degree in engineering smartphones or any consumer electronics device. How can you simply say that Motorola could've done something?

If what Motorola hasn't created the phone for you, please stop complaining about it. Its not going to change anything.

I work in an office and use my phone (Note 4) quite frequently throughout the day. My phone comes off the charger at 6:30 and I don't return home until 6pm. Around 12 hours of use. During that time I make a dozen phone calls, send upwards of 50 text messages, a dozen emails, checking Twitter every half hour or so and checking the websites like these.

I come home with about 25-30% battery and 4-5 hours of screen on time.

That to me, that is moderate to heavy use. Any phone that can do that, and only takes a half hour to charge back to around 80% is golden in my book.

The Moto XPE appears to be capable of that.

no doubt the battery is sufficient, but not everybody works in an office, so a larger battery would've been nice given the larger display.

I'll have a battery pack so it definitely won't be a deal breaker, but for instance, I'm in NYC (sales rep) for the day, off the charger at 6am, train ride into the city. normal calls, texts, emails and websites, maybe a half hour gaming, reading or watching video during lunch, streaming some music in a taxi ... we'll call it moderate use. train ride home that battery is probably shot, or close to it.

keep in mind, I'm not in an office, so if it's a sunny day chances are my brightness is a lot higher than yours. I'm also in and out of buildings, so if it's searching for a signal, even quicker drain.

you get home at 6pm, i don't. what if I go work out after work and want to stream music at the gym for an hour?

now i don't need to have my phone on 24/7, in fact I'm pretty old school in that i prefer to be social over staring at my phone all day.

also, on the weekends I'm pretty active. not uncommon for me to stream music at the beach/pool for awhile, my son grabs my phone for an hour and plays a game, or I'm at a baseball game, BBQ, park, whatever. very easy to wear out a battery fairly quickly.

another thing to consider is you're not gonna get that same battery life 18 months down the road. some people, myself included, keep their phones 36 months. I'll probably pay to have it replaced at some point, but it would still be nice to have a larger battery.

and I'm not sure it's "complaining" so much as participating on a forum and sharing an opinion. things would get pretty boring around here, and AC would probably go out of business if there were nothing but positive statements all day.

and that doesn't mean it's a deal breaker. between quick charge, battery packs and car chargers it's certainly manageable. but a larger battery would certainly alleviate a lot of concerns, and IMO the slight increase in weight and bulk would be well worth it.

Last edited:

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Regarding the Style's 3,000 mAh battery and 5.7" screen: The Galaxy S6 edge+ has virtually the same specs (518ppi for the Edge+ vs 520ppi for the X) but AMOLED screen. While it does have another processor, it will be interesting to see how reviews of its stamina come out.

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I usually keep my devices for years, hand them down, etc but don't think I'd be able to go a year without trying the newest generation in some form or another.

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I would personally love a 4000 or even 5000 mah battery. Just imagine airports and waiting for your plane and using your phone. That is where it drains a lot for me. There are plugs but crowded with people and its a mess. And I end up playing games while I'm in the plane.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Ever since I made the jump from dumbphone to smartphone, I feel as if I don't need to jump every year.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Ever since I made the jump from dumbphone to smartphone, I feel as if I don't need to jump every year.

With previous phones, I had for close to 3 years and most were for big upgrades. Motorola Droid X (Original, first Android) then went to the Motorola Droid MAXX (First LTE phone), then LG G3 (First big screen). But with the issues with the G3, this is my first time wanting to upgrade in a year. I think I will be sticking with Motorola.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Re: Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Style?

My only concern is the size. If this thing was 5" with minimal bezel, it would be perfect. Nothing else about it bothers me.

Unless there's a Nexus this year that's around 5" that's just as good or better for around the same price point, I'll still be getting a Moto X Pure Edition.

flimbo

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Easy. Like most, the price. Least, weight and the poor grip, unless the grip has improved over the Moto x 2014.

Posted via the Android Central App

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Easy. Like most, the price. Least, weight and the poor grip, unless the grip has improved over the Moto x 2014.

Posted via the Android Central App

supposedly that plastic offers a decent amount of grip. if you opt for the leather or wood, do it for aesthetics cause especially the wood doesn't have any grip.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
My only concern is the size. If this thing was 5" with minimal bezel, it would be perfect. Nothing else about it bothers me.

Unless there's a Nexus this year that's around 5" that's just as good or better for around the same price point, I'll still be getting a Moto X Pure Edition.

you should definitely hold out for the Nexus. Google hasn't confirmed it yet, but based on rumors it's pretty safe to say they're offering a 5.2" version made by LG.

it'll have the same features as the Pure, except for Moto's software enhancements (Voice, Assist, Actions & Display).

the nexus should have USB-C and a fingerprint sensor though. I think it'll be priced in the same ballpark.

if you prefer 5.2" to 5.7" and want the sensor, I'd definitely wait it out ... should only be a couple extra months so it'll extend the life of your current device, saving you a few extra bucks, never a bad thing!

let us know what you decide to do.

Forthepie

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Style?

i was really excited about it, but the LCD screen. I wear polarized sunglasses and having issues with my screen would be a non-starter.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670