Will the Moto X Pure Edition support T-Mobile VoLTE, VoWiFi and Band 12 LTE?

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
The Moto X Style supports T-Mobile's 700Mhz Band 12 which is great. However will it support T-Mobile VoLTE and VoWiFi abilities? Also, T-Mobile just announced this week the network will support Rich Communication Services (GSM Association) that Europe has adopted that will really amp up SMS/MMS texts into the chat and video LTE age. Missing RCS isn't a deal beaker for me but missing T-Mobile VoLTE and VoWiFi would kill it for me.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Will Moto X Style support T-Mobile VoLTE and VoWiFi?

The Moto X Style supports T-Mobile's 700Mhz Band 12 which is great. However will it support T-Mobile VoLTE and VoWiFi abilities? Also, T-Mobile just announced this week the network will support Rich Communication Services (GSM Association) that Europe has adopted that will really amp up SMS/MMS texts into the chat and video LTE age. Missing RCS isn't a deal beaker for me but missing T-Mobile VoLTE and VoWiFi would kill it for me.

This question was asked by the same person about 10 times during their Periscope session and they basically ignored it. I don't know what that means or if it means anything.....But I don't think it'll support WiFi calling since this won't be sold through T-Mo. I was hoping for WiFi calling as well. If OPO2 can do it....Hopefully Moto can bring it as well.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

I have read that T-Mobile wifi calling involves some carrier-specific software tweaks to the phone and, for that reason, has not been made available on the current Moto X 2014. I think it stands to reason that will likely be the case for the Moto X Style as well, although I'm sure there is nothing definitive on that.

Moto was generally pretty good about answering these types of questions on their forums. They might do so here.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I would say no since it requires T-Mobile software for that to work and they say it will be carrier free.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

I tweeted the question over to @AskDes and his response was less than forthcoming..basically a "what do you think?" Given that they don't always carry the Moto X themselves, I just don't know. Though you'd think Moto and T-mobile would have a lot of synergy.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I tweeted the question over to @AskDes and his response was less than forthcoming..basically a "what do you think?" Given that they don't always carry the Moto X themselves, I just don't know. Though you'd think Moto and T-mobile would have a lot of synergy.

Since they mentioned during the stream that it will be sold in the US via motorla.com I would say that it isn't going to happen.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

I suppose you might think that, but the reality is that Moto and T-Mobile are going in different directions. Moto wants to cut the carrier out and sell to you directly, and Legere seems to be pushing T Mobile into a cell phone retail company that also happens to provide service to the phones it sells. Those two goals are seemingly in direct opposition.

To answer the OP, my guess is that out of the box the 2015 X will not support T Mobile wifi calling, much like the other recent "universal LTE" phone the Nexus 6 didn't. It is possible that if Motorola and T Mobile come to some sort of agreement and T Mobile starts selling the 2015 X, you could see a software update that could be applied to Moto Xs bought from other sources. IOW, just like the Nexus 6.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

To go back on what I said .. Unless carrier versions are sold the "Pure Edition" won't work with WiFi calling and such. If they brand it up a tad .. then possibly.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

To go back on what I said .. Unless carrier versions are sold the "Pure Edition" won't work with WiFi calling and such. If they brand it up a tad .. then possibly.
I don't use T-Mobile, but I see that the 2014 Pure Edition comes with a T-Mobile SIM when ordered from Moto. Does the 2014 Pure Edition support WiFi calling for T-Mobile?

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I don't use T-Mobile, but I see that the 2014 Pure Edition comes with a T-Mobile SIM when ordered from Moto. Does the 2014 Pure Edition support WiFi calling for T-Mobile?

Hm .. that is a good question.

harbash6

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

I have T-Mobile and a 2014 Moto X. It does not support T-Mobile WiFi calling. As mentioned previously, T-Mobile WiFi calling requires some carrier specific software modifications to support the feature.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

I suppose you might think that, but the reality is that Moto and T-Mobile are going in different directions. Moto wants to cut the carrier out and sell to you directly, and Legere seems to be pushing T Mobile into a cell phone retail company that also happens to provide service to the phones it sells. Those two goals are seemingly in direct opposition.

Well John Legere should put a leash on these Independent MetroPCS stores that are selling Samsung S4 for over $500 that one of my friends got suckered into buying in Coral Springs Fl. When you restart the phone it shows the AT&T Logo when it boots up. He was having issues with T-Mobile signal and I told him he needs a phone with Band 12 since almost 30% of our towers has 700Mhz band 12 now and little to no band 2. He said that he just paid $499 for this Samsung S4 and was told that it supports all T-Mobile bands. I went back in and confronted the store owner and he admitted they make more money from selling unlocked AT&T phones there than T-Mobile. He also admitted that my friend would be better off going to Cricket with the phone he sold him.

MetroPCS S4 Scam.jpg

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

Yep, so bottom line, T-Mobile isn't going to carry it, so it won't work. Really a shame.

fourfone

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site

I would trade TMO WiFi calling if it would still work with grandfathered unlimited data t-zone and total internet plans. I find even the new WiFi calling does not work as well as the old UMA phones, even on the Nexus 6. Would trade the N6 and its sucky camera and Gmail client for the 15Xpe in a heartbeat!

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I think the only reason the Pure Edition of the 2014 Moto X came with a T-Mo sim is because there was already an AT&T version.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

Well John Legere should put a leash on these Independent MetroPCS stores that are selling Samsung S4 for over $500 that one of my friends got suckered into buying in Coral Springs Fl. When you restart the phone it shows the AT&T Logo when it boots up. He was having issues with T-Mobile signal and I told him he needs a phone with Band 12 since almost 30% of our towers has 700Mhz band 12 now and little to no band 2. He said that he just paid $499 for this Samsung S4 and was told that it supports all T-Mobile bands. I went back in and confronted the store owner and he admitted they make more money from selling unlocked AT&T phones there than T-Mobile. He also admitted that my friend would be better off going to Cricket with the phone he sold him.

View attachment 189068

I would think the word "independent" would put a hamper on Mr. Legare if he tried to take action as you suggest.

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site

so, if you bought a moto x style, and wanted to use it on t mobile, what type of signal would you get? 3G, 4G, or something else?

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
so, if you bought a moto x style, and wanted to use it on t mobile, what type of signal would you get? 3G, 4G, or something else?

The Moto X Style/Pure Edition fully supports T-Mobile's network. So, you'd have access to all of them.

Posted via the Android Central App

zzzz8

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site

Isn't Android M going to have native wifi calling built-in? If so - and when the Moto X Style upgrades to Android M, then there would be a chance that T-Mobile would support wifi calling similar in the way it supports it for iOS 8?

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

Isn't Android M going to have native wifi calling built-in? If so - and when the Moto X Style upgrades to Android M, then there would be a chance that T-Mobile would support wifi calling similar in the way it supports it for iOS 8?

That's what people were thinking about Lollipop, and it turns out it was just a special mod for the T-Mobile version of the phone. I'm thinking it's not going to happen.