Will the Moto X Play work in the US?

pjeverly

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
The Play seems like the perfect upgrade from the Moto X 2014. Better camera and much better battery. And not too big. Does anyone know if it will work in the US? It's says it's also for Canada.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I was just about to ask the question, lol. Yeah, I much prefer the battery and screen resolution of the X Play. If I were to get it, I would just need it to work on T-Mobile Prepaid. My only question about the Play is the processing power. Although I'm not a gamer at all, I'd hate to have a less than optimal processor running all of Moto's features. It's a shame though that the X Play doesn't have the dual stereo speakers.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Which LTE bands will it have?

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Which LTE bands will it have?

From Motorola website:

GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 900, 1800, 1900, 2100 MHz)
4G LTE (1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 19, 20, 28, 38, 41)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Has Motorola said why they aren't releasing it in the U.S? From what i've read and heard so far it sounds like it isn't coming right now which could mean it might in the future?? Maybe??? This phone is the perfect upgrade for me. The Pure is fine but I need a battery like this one has!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Has Motorola said why they aren't releasing it in the U.S? From what i've read and heard so far it sounds like it isn't coming right now which could mean it might in the future?? Maybe??? This phone is the perfect upgrade for me. The Pure is fine but I need a battery like this one has!

I think tech bloggers are speculating that the Moto X Play might be the basis for an upcoming Verizon-exclusive DROID-branded devices.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

The general belief is that a version of it will be sold as an exclusive on Verizon hence no Moto X Play in the US. Probably a lower end Droid to whatever the new Droid Turbo will end up being.

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
The general belief is that a version of it will be sold as an exclusive on Verizon hence no Moto X Play in the US. Probably a lower end Droid to whatever the new Droid Turbo will end up being.

As much as I would like a new Droid Turbo or something like it I still find it strange that Motorola would not only keep this phone out of the U.S. but to then possibly rebrand it as a Droid which is only on Verizon and then keep it away from everyone else. I guess time will tell. My contract is up in Jan so hopefully they announce something by then.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
As much as I would like a new Droid Turbo or something like it I still find it strange that Motorola would not only keep this phone out of the U.S. but to then possibly rebrand it as a Droid which is only on Verizon and then keep it away from everyone else. I guess time will tell. My contract is up in Jan so hopefully they announce something by then.

Not unheard of though. A good number of the Motorola DROIDs for Verizon have had "international" variants like the Milestone, Milestone X, RAZR, RAZR HD, RAZR i, and more recently the Moto Maxx which is the current DROID TURBO.

If the X Play becomes a DROID variant, I think the only thing different this time is that the international model went first.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

Motorola probably makes more money in the US from their exclusive Droid deal with Verizon than all other phone sales combined. Hopefully that will start to change with their new business model of going direct to consumer but time will tell. Until then they aren't going to risk loosing their Verizon deal and making the Moto X Play a Verizon exclusive is much cheaper than designing a separate phone for them.

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Not unheard of though. A good number of the Motorola DROIDs for Verizon have had "international" variants like the Milestone, Milestone X, RAZR, RAZR HD, RAZR i, and more recently the Moto Maxx which is the current DROID TURBO.

If the X Play becomes a DROID variant, I think the only thing different this time is that the international model went first.

Good point. I actually just read that Moto could be releasing a Droid Maxx 2 and Droid Turbo 2. Read an article on The Verge and it said the Maxx 2 will keep the $300 price point of the Play but the Turbo 2 will be around $600 though.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Motorola probably makes more money in the US from their exclusive Droid deal with Verizon than all other phone sales combined. Hopefully that will start to change with their new business model of going direct to consumer but time will tell. Until then they aren't going to risk loosing their Verizon deal and making the Moto X Play a Verizon exclusive is much cheaper than designing a separate phone for them.

With the introduction of the Moto G, I doubt that's still the case.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
With the introduction of the Moto G, I doubt that's still the case.

I am talking about profit, not overall sales. The Moto G is not a high profit phone for them, that is part of the reason why it's been such a popular device as it's a great value. The Droid's on the other hand are sold at $500+ full retail and Verizon pays Motorola additional money as part of them being the exclusive carrier.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I am talking about profit, not overall sales. The Moto G is not a high profit phone for them, that is part of the reason why it's been such a popular device as it's a great value. The Droid's on the other hand are sold at $500+ full retail and Verizon pays Motorola additional money as part of them being the exclusive carrier.

I understand that.

I just feel that enough Moto Gs have sold to make it Motorola's lead money maker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy