Predictions: Moto X Play potential battery life?

Leo Bauberger

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: Moto X Play potential battery life?

The SoC used on the X play is far newer than the one on the Idol 3/P8 lite/etc. From the specs it seems more similar to the 616 (this makes me wonder if they have used the 616, but just called it 615, because qualcomm hasn't yet given it a commercal name at the time of Motorola's keynote). A hardware revision could be really meaningful: the 810 on the One Plus Two doesn't seem to suffer of overheating. Ruddock is a overreacting. I would just wait for the phone to be released, before judging.
The point is, EVEN if it is the old one - with I don't believe so, like you - it is not that bad also...

Leo Bauberger

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

The SoC used on the X play is far newer than the one on the Idol 3/P8 lite/etc. From the specs it seems more similar to the 616 (this makes me wonder if they have used the 616, but just called it 615, because qualcomm hasn't yet given it a commercal name at the time of Motorola's keynote). A hardware revision could be really meaningful: the 810 on the One Plus Two doesn't seem to suffer of overheating. Ruddock is a overreacting. I would just wait for the phone to be released, before judging.
The point is, EVEN if it is the old one - with I don't believe so, like you - it is not that bad also...

And about the release date, they're late : P
They say that in august it will became available and we are already in 08/05 and no news anywhere :|

m477

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

And about the release date, they're late : P
They say that in august it will became available and we are already in 08/05 and no news anywhere :|

Technically they're not late until September :p I bet it will be released in the second half of August.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

What makes you think it's the 616 instead of 615? That'd be great news if it turns out to be true! I have wondered why they didn't choose the 616 which has already been used by Huawei in one of their phones, so it's clearly ready for mass production.

425 would have been even better but that's not yet ready, which is a shame.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

m477

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

What makes you think it's the 616 instead of 615? That'd be great news if it turns out to be true! I have wondered why they didn't choose the 616 which has already been used by Huawei in one of their phones, so it's clearly ready for mass production.

425 would have been even better but that's not yet ready, which is a shame.

The Huawei was announced after Qualcomm announced the 616. Anyway, the SoC on the Moto X play seems more similar to the 616 mostly because of two factors: the clock (no other phone has a 615 clocked at 1.7GHz, which is the default clock of the 616), and the global LTE modem.

Leo Bauberger

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

The Huawei was announced after Qualcomm announced the 616. Anyway, the SoC on the Moto X play seems more similar to the 616 mostly because of two factors: the clock (no other phone has a 615 clocked at 1.7GHz, which is the default clock of the 616), and the global LTE modem.

what are the most noticeable differences between them?

m477

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

what are the most noticeable differences between them?

As far as I know, ever so slightly more raw performance (due to the higher clock of the CPU, and faster RAM), and the thermal and battery drain issues should be solved.

blocks992

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site

My understanding is that the phone would be released to all eligible markets mid-August, including Brazil. I would keep an eye on the Motorola Brazil Facebook page and Moto website...

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

Must be any day now... c'mon Motorola, let me throw money your way!

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

Looks and sounds promising:

https://youtu.be/gs2Q0-z1XVU

Happy to hear that CPU performance is largely the same between the 615 and 801 in Motorola's version of Android. Seeing as I'll be coming from a 800 instead of 801, looks like I have nothing to worry about in terms of performance.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

It's out here.
Awww the UK site still tells me to register for updates.

Great to hear that though! UK can't be far behind!

Edit: found out UK availability is set for this Friday :)

Last edited:

Leo Bauberger

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

Thanks!
Actually it's out only on other stores, not available for the moto maker yet.
Motorola say that it will bee soon, though. I think I will wait for two more days =p