Does anyone think Moto will honor the warranty after Unlocking the Bootloader?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I am hoping the answer is YES and I want to be positive. However, I am hoping someone may know one way or the other.

Back in 2013, Motorola was selling the Moto X Developer Editions for GSM and Verizon. Originally, they said that unlocking the bootloader would void the warranty. A few months later, they did a 180 degree turn and said they would honor the warranty for Developer Editions only.

They haven't sold new developer editions recently, but the 2014 Moto X Pure edition (GSM Only) and the 2014 Nexus 6 can both be bootloader unlocked. Does anyone know how Moto has approached warranties when the bootloader is unlocked?

I am assuming that the 2015 Moto X Style/Pure Edition will also have the ability to be bootloader unlocked as well. Does anyone know Moto's current stance?

As far as I know, they are not offering a Moto X Style/Pure Developer Edition, but if they were, I would get it if it means keeping the warranty intact.

I don't plan to install many custom roms, but there are certain apps that I use regularly that wouldn't function without root access.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
By law they have to honor warranty regardless of modification, unless that modification caused the damage.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
To give an example, if you root, and later, your volume rocker stops working, then they would have to cover it. Now if you root and brick your phone, then no, they are not legally required to fix the bricked phone

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
To give an example, if you root, and later, your volume rocker stops working, then they would have to cover it. Now if you root and brick your phone, then no, they are not legally required to fix the bricked phone

This is correct. Magnuson Moss FTW!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't think anything's been announced with regards to their bootloader unlock program.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I believe unlocking the bootloader will always void the warranty. They don't want to be responsible for bricked phones. So just make sure to re-lock when returning it for repair or replacement.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I believe unlocking the bootloader will always void the warranty. They don't want to be responsible for bricked phones. So just make sure to re-lock when returning it for repair or replacement.
That's incorrect. They cannot deny warranty solely because you have an unlocked bootloader. Of course if you brick the phone while rooting or something then sure they aren't obligated to warranty it.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
That's incorrect. They cannot deny warranty solely because you have an unlocked bootloader. Of course if you brick the phone while rooting or something then sure they aren't obligated to warranty it.

Perhaps the old Moto x 2013 Developers addition was the exception. But I'm certain it does void the warranty

"Notwithstanding the foregoing, any Product which has had its bootloader unlocked, or whose operating system has been altered, including any failed attempts to unlock the bootloader or alter such operating system, is not covered by this warranty, regardless of whether such modifications are authorized, approved, or otherwise sanctioned by Motorola".

Key terms here are any Product which has had its bootloader unlocked, is not covered by this warranty

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps the old Moto x 2013 Developers addition was the exception. But I'm certain it does void the warranty

"Notwithstanding the foregoing, any Product which has had its bootloader unlocked, or whose operating system has been altered, including any failed attempts to unlock the bootloader or alter such operating system, is not covered by this warranty, regardless of whether such modifications are authorized, approved, or otherwise sanctioned by Motorola".

Key terms here are any Product which has had its bootloader unlocked, is not covered by this warranty

Warranties, at least in the United States, don't work this way. Look up the Magnuson Moss Act. You can not "void" an entire warranty.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Warranties, at least in the United States, don't work this way. Look up the Magnuson Moss Act. You can not "void" an entire warranty.
Correct. I had a heavily modified car... Upgraded turbo,intercooler, exhaust and lots more. The dealer had no problems changing the abs unit and fixing an airbag problem under warranty. Now they didn't fix the check engine light caused by me removing the saip, which I wouldn't expect them to.

But point being, no matter how modified a product is, the manufacturer cannot outright void the entire warranty of the product.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Dpham and EJT for referencing the legislation behind it: Magneson Moss Act.

Now I am just wondering if Moto may have been overstepping their authority and the law.

I did a little research and found some old posts that seemed to support Moto's stance on voiding the entire warranty after a user had requested the bootloader unlock code:

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/396c05962f (2013)

Here is a small except from the thread:

Exhibit 1) in reference to the above unlocking procedure, under "Review the risks", there is the sentence "unless you have a Developer Edition device, once you get the code, your device is no longer covered by the Motorola warranty..." (Italics mine) This implies since I DO have a Dev Ed, my device IS still covered.

I also found this article from Russell Holly from 2012 that basically states that Moto was making users sign away their warranty if the bootloader was unlocked.

Why no one will buy Motorola’s Developer Edition devices | Mobile | Geek.com

I am more troubled my this info from Motorola's website:

https://motorola-global-portal.cust...2LzEvdGltZS8xNDQxMzAzOTY2L3NpZC9vV0NFZXp2bQ==

One of the things it says is:

You have only yourself to blame. Unless you have a Developer Edition device, once you get the unlock code, your device is no longer covered by the Motorola warranty; in other words, please don't blame us if things go wrong, even if they appear unrelated to unlocking the bootloader.

It sounds like they are taking the stance that the entire warranty is void, even if the problem at hand doesn't appear to be related to unlocking the bootloader.

Now, with the Nexus 6, I never had to submit any information to Motorola to get an unlock code from them, so I can see how it would be easy to unroot and relock before asking for any warranty assistance.

However, with the new Moto Style, I am confident I'll have to give Moto my IMEI # before they'll unlock it.

Of course, Moto could just be covering themselves because they'll always be the final say in whether or not they will cover something under warranty.

If I have an issue with the volume rocker, I know it had nothing to do with unlocking the bootloader. I would think Moto would know that too. However, I suppose they could come back at me and say that it MAY HAVE BEEN related to a bootloader unlock and deny my claim.

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Dpham and EJT for referencing the legislation behind it: Magneson Moss Act.

Now I am just wondering if Moto may have been overstepping their authority and the law.

I did a little research and found some old posts that seemed to support Moto's stance on voiding the entire warranty after a user had requested the bootloader unlock code:

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/396c05962f (2013)

Here is a small except from the thread:

Exhibit 1) in reference to the above unlocking procedure, under "Review the risks", there is the sentence "unless you have a Developer Edition device, once you get the code, your device is no longer covered by the Motorola warranty..." (Italics mine) This implies since I DO have a Dev Ed, my device IS still covered.

I also found this article from Russell Holly from 2012 that basically states that Moto was making users sign away their warranty if the bootloader was unlocked.

Why no one will buy Motorola’s Developer Edition devices | Mobile | Geek.com

I am more troubled my this info from Motorola's website:

https://motorola-global-portal.cust...2LzEvdGltZS8xNDQxMzAzOTY2L3NpZC9vV0NFZXp2bQ==

One of the things it says is:

You have only yourself to blame. Unless you have a Developer Edition device, once you get the unlock code, your device is no longer covered by the Motorola warranty; in other words, please don't blame us if things go wrong, even if they appear unrelated to unlocking the bootloader.

It sounds like they are taking the stance that the entire warranty is void, even if the problem at hand doesn't appear to be related to unlocking the bootloader.

Now, with the Nexus 6, I never had to submit any information to Motorola to get an unlock code from them, so I can see how it would be easy to unroot and relock before asking for any warranty assistance.

However, with the new Moto Style, I am confident I'll have to give Moto my IMEI # before they'll unlock it.

Of course, Moto could just be covering themselves because they'll always be the final say in whether or not they will cover something under warranty.

If I have an issue with the volume rocker, I know it had nothing to do with unlocking the bootloader. I would think Moto would know that too. However, I suppose they could come back at me and say that it MAY HAVE BEEN related to a bootloader unlock and deny my claim.

That is theoretically true. They can deny any claim they want. You, as the consumer, have the ability to litigate the warranty issue as well. Ultimately, Motorola would likely lose that battle, but you'd be out thousands of dollars in attorney's fees. Not really worth it for a $400 phone.........a $40,000 car is a whole different ball of wax. LOL

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I've also seen recent posts where Moto was denying warranty claims for Unlocked Nexus 6 devices. It was funny because some people purchaed their devices directly from Google and Moto was denying claims. However, when people went to Google directly, they were happy to honor the warranty.....

I suppose with many things, there is the legal world and the practical everyday world. Legally, Moto may be in the wrong, but, as you said, few people would litigate over a $400-$700 phone.

I would probably write a strongly worded letter, emphasizing my rights as a consumer and hope for the best.

When I rooted my first phone back in 2010, a Motorola Droid X, people mentioned that you could overclock the processor for better performance or increase the volume levels for better sound.

I never did, since I knew it had the potential to cause hardware damage.

My main reasons for rooting a phone used to be to remove bloat and/or install a custom rom that was de-bloated and more efficiient.

However, that was before I started using Nexus devices and Moto began running stock Android.

Now I root for the following reasons:

1) Titanium Backup
2)Tasker like functions that require the phone to have root access--like automatic reboot
3) Custom Recovery options
4) Tethering and Hot Spot
5) MLB Blackout circimvention
6) Faster Access to software updates

#5 was actually a new one. I signed up for MLB All Access last week and was able to get the remainder of the season for $2.50. However, home market games were blacked out.

However, thanks to having root and little help from XDA, I was able to easily get access to home-market games.

None of these activities really has the ability to damage the device, unless I screw up ADB or Fastboot. Even if I did, it's pretty easy to unbrick if you know what you are doing.

I can understand if my actions may irritate Major League Baseball, but Moto shouldn't care.

Frankly, I purchased this phone knowing that it would have the ability to be easily unlocked. However, if Moto chooses to continue to take a hard line stance I may just have to start buying Nexus-only devices directly from Google.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I've been all over Moto support today. I feel like I'm friends with them all.

Me: Will the Moto X Pure Edition bootloader be unlockable? And if so will unlocking the bootloader void the warranty?
Elizalde: Yes Me, this is like a developers editions device, capable to unlock its boot loader without voiding the warranty.
Me: fantastic, thank you

/edit They must think I'm friends with them too because they just sent me a $25 accessory coupon code after I asked them all of my questions :)

Last edited:

bholt6

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I've also seen recent posts where Moto was denying warranty claims for Unlocked Nexus 6 devices. It was funny because some people purchaed their devices directly from Google and Moto was denying claims. However, when people went to Google directly, they were happy to honor the warranty.....

I suppose with many things, there is the legal world and the practical everyday world. Legally, Moto may be in the wrong, but, as you said, few people would litigate over a $400-$700 phone.

I would probably write a strongly worded letter, emphasizing my rights as a consumer and hope for the best.

When I rooted my first phone back in 2010, a Motorola Droid X, people mentioned that you could overclock the processor for better performance or increase the volume levels for better sound.

I never did, since I knew it had the potential to cause hardware damage.

My main reasons for rooting a phone used to be to remove bloat and/or install a custom rom that was de-bloated and more efficiient.

However, that was before I started using Nexus devices and Moto began running stock Android.

Now I root for the following reasons:

1) Titanium Backup
2)Tasker like functions that require the phone to have root access--like automatic reboot
3) Custom Recovery options
4) Tethering and Hot Spot
5) MLB Blackout circimvention
6) Faster Access to software updates

#5 was actually a new one. I signed up for MLB All Access last week and was able to get the remainder of the season for $2.50. However, home market games were blacked out.

However, thanks to having root and little help from XDA, I was able to easily get access to home-market games.

None of these activities really has the ability to damage the device, unless I screw up ADB or Fastboot. Even if I did, it's pretty easy to unbrick if you know what you are doing.

I can understand if my actions may irritate Major League Baseball, but Moto shouldn't care.

Frankly, I purchased this phone knowing that it would have the ability to be easily unlocked. However, if Moto chooses to continue to take a hard line stance I may just have to start buying Nexus-only devices directly from Google.

Got a link to the MLB blackout work around? Haha I could use that for sure...sorry for the OT.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Got a link to the MLB blackout work around? Haha I could use that for sure...sorry for the OT.

What version of Android are you running, are you rooted, and what device do you have?

I have a Nexus 6 and used one set of instructions for Lollipop and I also have a Moto 2013 Developer Edition on Kitkat.

With the Developer Edition, I already had Xposed Framework installed and got everything working in about 5 minutes.

Lollipop also has Xposed working in beta form, but there are more hoops to jump through and I never used Xposed the way some people do.

It was also pretty easy to get it working on Lollipop, without relying on Xposed or jumping through hoops.

I like Lollipop and still like Kitkat and decided I would keep the Moto 2013 on Kitkat since it's easier to troubleshoot apps when you can see how they function under different versions of Android.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I've been all over Moto support today. I feel like I'm friends with them all.

/edit They must think I'm friends with them too because they just sent me a $25 accessory coupon code after I asked them all of my questions :)

You are the man. Thank you for going straight to the source. I am really looking forward to getting this phone.

Moto has always been more strict about unlocking bootloaders and it's just a little more enjoyable for me when I can legally unlock one and have full access to every part of the software.

bholt6

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Bootloader and Warranty

Just so everyone is aware, as of now, unlocking the bootloader DOES void your warranty. I've filed an incorrect warranty status claim, but just wanted to give a heads up to those on the fence. I got the phone because I knew it'd be unlockable so it's not a major issue for me.

Attachments

• 1441961896850.jpg
    1441961896850.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 45

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Bootloader and Warranty

Hmm... U thought that on previous models they made a big deal about not voiding your warranty. If they changed their mind, this is very disappointing.

Did you read the agreement for anything about warranty before you unlocked?

Sent from my XT1096

bholt6

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: Bootloader and Warranty

Hmm... U thought that on previous models they made a big deal about not voiding your warranty. If they changed their mind, this is very disappointing.

Did you read the agreement for anything about warranty before you unlocked?

Sent from my XT1096

Ya, it basically just says your warranty will be voided unless you have a Developer Edition device. I assumed it was.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87