Why the hullabaloo over no fingerprint scanner?

YeahMon360

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here.

Does anyone consider that a fingerprint scanner is a privacy issue? I know they "say" that your prints are stored locally, and do you believe that 100%, or would you consider that they could go to a database somewhere, accessed by anyone who wants to know about you?

No, I'm not a conspiracist, but a realist. This crap is made to look like a convenience to the user, when in actuality, it is another sucker way of getting you to relinquish that information without a second thought. If someone would walk up to you on the street and ask you to print yourself for them, would you do it? Hell no. So why would you trust that a cell phone, whom we all know isn't secure, to contain that information about you?

I don't own a device that scans my prints. I am aware that my devices listen to what's going on around me, and I know that they track my every move - wherever I may roam. They tally my browsing habits, my shopping habits, etc etc ect. I get it that there is a trade-off between electronic convenience and security, but the fingerprint scanner seems like one method we just don't need to adapt to.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
For me, having the feature is not a make or break. I am inclined to agree with you. I would pass on using the fingerprint scanner if one was built in.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can choose not to trust technology and live in the stone age. People use phones to access email, pay bills, order stuff, etc. There is no 100% guaranteed security when it comes to technology as anything can be hacked. Sure if you don't log into any accounts, don't buy anything, or send any personal information on the phone then you would be 100% safe...but that would be pointless for me.

Also if someone really wanted to lift your fingerprint, they could follow you around and lift it from something you touched.

Or the fingerprint could be hacked from the Government database....Unless you want to live completely off the grid of course.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I almost didn't get this phone because it lacked a finger print reader. Due to my exchange policy I have to have either a pin or password unlock and it gets old. Whether I'm trying to get directions quick or really anything with my phone it's an inconvenience and I would love a fingerprint scanner.

I nearly went with the oneplus for the larger batter and fingerprint reader but when reviews were not stellar I decided to not give up NFC and go to the MXPE.

For me personally I feel like it would be a great convenience and not just a cool techy look at what I can do thing.

YeahMon360

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
The point of my post is not the convenience of it, but the security and privacy (or lack of) attached to it. Do you not care to voluntarily give up information to people who may want it?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Actually, a fingerprint scanner is still very much a novelty to me.

When mobile payments take off, then I may consider getting a phone with one, but as of right now, I'm perfectly contempt with Knock Code on my G4.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
The point of my post is not the convenience of it, but the security and privacy (or lack of) attached to it. Do you not care to voluntarily give up information to people who may want it?

As dpham00 said, we plug all kinds of personal information into our phones and by letting my phone read my fingerprint I do not believe I am voluntarily giving up any of my information. Nor do I feel like I am voluntarily giving up my information when I access my bank account from my phone, or use android pay, or type any of my passwords in.

If I did share the belief that whatever I input into my phone I am voluntarily giving to anyone who wants it then my first concern would be my financial information and things like my SSN before my fingerprint.

So if I trust my phone enough to sign into my bank and use android pay then I trust it enough to look at my finger.

YeahMon360

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I acknowledged all that in my OP too. I get it. The trust is a facade. In reality, we just hope we aren't the "one" that gets victimized by ill-intent.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
As dpham00 said, we plug all kinds of personal information into our phones and by letting my phone read my fingerprint I do not believe I am voluntarily giving up any of my information. Nor do I feel like I am voluntarily giving up my information when I access my bank account from my phone, or use android pay, or type any of my passwords in.

If I did share the belief that whatever I input into my phone I am voluntarily giving to anyone who wants it then my first concern would be my financial information and things like my SSN before my fingerprint.

So if I trust my phone enough to sign into my bank and use android pay then I trust it enough to look at my finger.

Google knows where I live and work and what I like anyway. So it's not like it's a big deal now.

Well, unless you wear tinfoils.

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I acknowledged all that in my OP too. I get it. The trust is a facade. In reality, we just hope we aren't the "one" that gets victimized by ill-intent.
As stated before, your actual fingerprint is not secure anyway, anyone who wants to can already get it without having to hack your phone. Anyone can walk up to your desk, or your front door knob, or a pen you've used, a cup you throw away at McDonald's, and get your fingerprint.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
As stated before, your actual fingerprint is not secure anyway, anyone who wants to can already get it without having to hack your phone. Anyone can walk up to your desk, or your front door knob, or a pen you've used, a cup you throw away at McDonald's, and get your fingerprint.

I see. So justifying it like that makes it all ok?

I'm with yeahMon360 on this, let's get some real justification for ever eating at McDonalds.

In all seriousness justify what exactly?

YeahMon360

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm with yeahMon360 on this, let's get some real justification for ever eating at McDonalds.

In all seriousness justify what exactly?
Justify the possibility that your fingerprints could be accessed because someone could just follow you around anyway.

Why inconvenience someone to tail you for that, when you can just accept to voluntarily give it up with your fingerprint scanner? It's too easy.

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Actually, a fingerprint scanner is still very much a novelty to me.

When mobile payments take off, then I may consider getting a phone with one, but as of right now, I'm perfectly contempt with Knock Code on my G4.

This is pretty much my feeling as well. I see the utility in a fingerprint scanner, but just don't see a need for it in my phone as yet. Once more apps and services are using its functionality, I'll look to include in my phone purchase. In my opinion, widespread use is at least a year away. I'll add it then. A PIN code is satisfactory for me at this time.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Justify the possibility that your fingerprints could be accessed because someone could just follow you around anyway.

Why inconvenience someone to tail you for that, when you can just accept to voluntarily give it up with your fingerprint scanner? It's too easy.

Why are you so dead set on saying that about your fingerprint? Do you feel the same way about your passwords, banking info, personal info...?

diesel97

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Why are you so dead set on saying that about your fingerprint? Do you feel the same way about your passwords, banking info, personal info...?

And do what with your finger prints IF the BAD man gets it ? I really dont think that every time you use your thumb to open up your phone that your print goes to google

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
So many are worried about security? :(
On the news we keep hearing how the Chinese government is hacking US companies! :eek:
No offense to anyone who may be Chinese but I am willing to bet that in China they are saying on the news that the US government is hacking them! :cool:
Besides, these phones are assembled in China...who's to say there isn't a secret piece of hardware built in that is sending everything we do on them straight back to China??? Hmmmm???? :confused:

YeahMon360

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
You're exactly right. I succumb to the privacy issues by using a cell phone. Am I worried? Not really. Other than occasional speeding in my truck, I don't break the law, so I have nothing to hide. But it does bother me the amount of data being collected about me and my habits. One day it might come back to bite us all in the ***.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood