Since Lollipop, screen won't shut off in holster

ralphgb

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Moto X (2013), Verizon Wireless, recently updated to Android 5.1 Lollipop.

I noticed that my battery life is significantly worse since the update. I have a generic belt holster with a magnetic closure flap, and recently I noticed that when the phone is in the holster, it gets warm. I checked and I noticed that the screen was on while in the holster. If I tap the power button while in the holster, the screen will turn off, then turn back on in a few seconds and stay on as long as it is holstered. I am using a PIN and Smart Lock to keep the phone unlocked while I'm at home and in the car. I have a 2-minute timeout for both screen and lock.

I have tried some of the more obvious stuff, like doing a power-cycle reboot, doing a soft reset, and reformatting the cache partition. I have tried putting the phone in the holster using all 4 different orientations (screen inward or outward, right-side up or upside-down), same problem.

My suspicion is that the magnetic closure is somehow being detected by the phone and is switching the screen on. Since this only started happening since the update, I suspect there's either some new setting causing this, or an old setting that is now enabled by default. Any suggestions, short of getting a new holster (which I will do if I can't find a setting or other fix)?

Thanks!

PS - any suggestions for a new belt holster without magnets? :p

lonewolfarcher

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Turn on developer options. Make sure Stay Awake (screen will never sleep while charging) is turned off. Maybe the magnet is tricking the phone into thinking it is charging.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma