Unable to find my media while using MXPE.

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
This is my first smartphone and I'm an Android noob. I spent an hour on Google searching how to properly transfer media to Android devices and tried different things but to no use.

I have the 32GB model and it's unrooted/stock with no sim card installed yet. I just wanted to try some videos, music, and pictures to get a feel for the screen and speakers. My micro USB cord is fine and when it's plugged in the PC I can see the media is in the MXPE's folders and taking up space. I turn the phone on and off, try putting them on different folders but no matter I can't find it. I removed a file called .nomedia but that didn't help. I tried transfer through both MTP and PTP but no go. It appears Android is keeping them hidden from me.

This is surely a simple problem so please help me out as I want to show a friend some photos of mine Thursday. Thank you. :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The phone most likely came with blank directories called Music, Pictures, and Videos. Are you copying those files to those directories? How are you copying the files, using Windows Explorer?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So although those files are in their respective directories, they're not showing up in the Gallery or Photos app, or in the Music app? What file format are these files in?

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
Exactly what was happening but I fixed it now. I put the photos, videos, and music in the "Pictures" folder using PTP mode and they work fine now. I was trying to use FLAC, FLV, and WMV files but I found out these don't work with stock Android. Wav and MP4 work great so I had to convert some of my video files to use them. When I get online I'll download more programs for different formats. I'll leave this here in-case anyone has a similar problem or anything to add. Thank you for your help, B. Diddy! :D

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad you figured it out! Although it's a bit odd to me--files should be transferred without difficulty in MTP mode as well. Are you sure it wasn't just an issue with the file formats?

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
You may be right. Under MTP it seems the files could not be recognized. Under PTP, it recognized the files but said they could not be played. Perhaps if I transfer through MTP with the proper file formats it would recognize it. I'll try it out later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995