Ok Google activating out of nowhere

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
This just started in the last week or so. My phone can be sitting on the table, minding its own business, and all the sudden OK Google will activate. It's not the biggest deal in the world, but any idea why and/or what I can do about it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It happens when things are completely silent? No one around you saying "OK" and something that sounds like Google? Is it connected to any Bluetooth headsets when this happens?

Does it persist after a reboot?

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, I'll have to give that a try. I'm pretty sure I was in a totally quiet environment when I first set it up though.

And no, definitely no one around saying anything close to OK or Google. Well maybe "OK" (that's pretty common) but not OK Google or anything that sounds like it or my Moto phrase.

ezvv

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I had my 2014 X set up with a whistle jingle, really found a problem when every time I was backing up in a machine at work the back up beep would set off the Google now. Haven't even bothered setting it up on the xpe

Posted via the Android Central App

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I have this issue, or should I say I had this issue. I disabled the Moto Action that allows the phone to be lifted to the ear for Moto Voice. I found that whenever I took my phone out of my pocket it would start up the Google Now search - once I disabled the action, it stopped.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
OK just wanted to do a quick update on this...

Just now it happened again and I wanted to be a little more specific. It's not Moto Voice that's activating on its own. It's the screen that comes up when you tap the microphone on the google search bar at the top of the home screen. However, when this does happen, it never stops spinning and then tells you "Say OK Google or tap mic" with the list of suggested commands under neath it. It just keeps spinning and spinning until I notice it and hit back/home.

This isn't the biggest deal in the world, but it would be nice to figure out why it's happening.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
OK just wanted to do a quick update on this...

Just now it happened again and I wanted to be a little more specific. It's not Moto Voice that's activating on its own. It's the screen that comes up when you tap the microphone on the google search bar at the top of the home screen. However, when this does happen, it never stops spinning and then tells you "Say OK Google or tap mic" with the list of suggested commands under neath it. It just keeps spinning and spinning until I notice it and hit back/home.

This isn't the biggest deal in the world, but it would be nice to figure out why it's happening.

was the phone sitting on the table or did you pull it out our pocket or something?

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
My wife's and my XPEs have been doing this as of late, too. She never set up her custom voice phrase but I did. And there's no way mine should be starting based my custom phrase ("Los Pollos Hermanos" isn't a commonly heard set of syllables). "OK Google" does not work to activate the voice response when the custom phrase is set up. I tested this a few times.

Hers was in the cupholder in my car, mine was on my desk in the cradle I use. No motion or anything. Sometimes there was mixed sound from a YouTube video or other noises or general conversation. All told, I think hers activated once and mine has activated probably three times.

I haven't been able to determine any specific pattern yet. Luckily, it's just a nuisance thing for the time being.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Try going into the Moto app, then disabling the phone to ear gesture (it worked for me)

You know what, I have a feeling that's the problem too. Shame cause it's a cool feature and I don't want to disable it, but it must be pretty finicky to activate while sitting on a desk. I'll probably give it a try just to see.

notabbott

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
So my "lift to ear" setting is switched off, and I still get phantom Moto Assists/OK Google activations. This morning I got one in a quiet room, with the phone sitting face up on a table.