HD Voice/VoLTE: AT&T

shutterbug645

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I have seen a number of posts related to HD voice on MOTO X Pure edition all around the web but none of them conclusively say if HD voice (voLTE) is enabled for this device.... anyone in the forum had luck with it? I called ATT and added my IMEI number to their database and the rep said it should be enabled - but when I make calls, the LTE icon changes to HSPA and drops back to LTE after the call finishes. My understanding is it should remain on LTE even during calls for HD voice ... Anyone with insights on this?

Thanks!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: HD Voice on AT&T

Hi,

I have seen a number of posts related to HD voice on MOTO X Pure edition all around the web but none of them conclusively say if HD voice (voLTE) is enabled for this device.... anyone in the forum had luck with it? I called ATT and added my IMEI number to their database and the rep said it should be enabled - but when I make calls, the LTE icon changes to HSPA and drops back to LTE after the call finishes. My understanding is it should remain on LTE even during calls for HD voice ... Anyone with insights on this?

Thanks!

Are you calling someone that has HD Voice enabled too?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Amir47

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Both devices have to have HD voice enabled and both callers have to be in a HD voice coverage area.
Is that the case here? If not then then phone works as designed.

kafox15

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

Hi,

Thanks!

Thats interesting. I've spoken to AT&T multiple times about this and they say that HD Voice is not supported for the MXPE since its not an AT&T device and that I am out of luck. Maybe I need to try back again and see what they say.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

HD Voice/VoLTE is built-in and works on Verizon.

Amir47

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

HD Voice/VoLTE is built-in and works on Verizon.

That's nice for Verizon but OP is asking about AT&T.
I'm kinda curious about this as well

shutterbug645

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

Hi folks, thanks for the replies ...

So I tried this with a couple of friends who have an iPhone 6 (which should support HD voice for sure as per their website) ... tried it in San Francisco & Milpitas which have pretty wide coverage for HD voice as well. No luck. My phone flashed "H" while calling both (with no discernable difference in audio quality)... Both iPhones have "Voice & Data" setting enabled under the "Cellular networks" section ...Now I am not sure if iPhone users will need to call ATT and get HD voice activated as well OR if there is some other setting that will need to be flipped ... either way, so far I have had no luck with this!

Not sure if ATT is bluffing here... will need to call and check again!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Hi folks, thanks for the replies ...

So I tried this with a couple of friends who have an iPhone 6 (which should support HD voice for sure as per their website) ... tried it in San Francisco & Milpitas which have pretty wide coverage for HD voice as well. No luck. My phone flashed "H" while calling both (with no discernable difference in audio quality)... Both iPhones have "Voice & Data" setting enabled under the "Cellular networks" section ...Now I am not sure if iPhone users will need to call ATT and get HD voice activated as well OR if there is some other setting that will need to be flipped ... either way, so far I have had no luck with this!

Not sure if ATT is bluffing here... will need to call and check again!

Are you certain the iPhones have HD Voice enabled?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Are you certain the Enhanced 4G LTE Mode is enabled on your Moto X Pure Edition?

Amir47

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Looking on the list of phones that supports HD VOICE and I don't see the X on it. none of them.
talked to AT&T rep and was told they don't support it for that phone.
Moto forums seem to also indicate that there is currently no HD VOICE support for our phone.
So I'm going to say our phone is not supported guys.
But they have 2 cheapo phones on the list.
The list has grown to include 23 devices instead of just the few even though some are just different versions of the same one like S6, S6 edge, S6 edge + and S6 active but at least that's progress right?

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

I'm guessing AT&T just requires the phone be a AT&T branded phone in order to use VoLTE. I'm sure there is some radio settings or little bit of software from AT&T that turns it on and AT&T just does not give Motorola access to those radio settings or software. Carriers still exert some influence in that area when it comes to unlocked phones.

Moto and Verizon have always been pretty close so it isn't too surprising that Verizon was ok with giving Moto the OK to use VoLTE.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Sounds like the Moto X is most open on Verizon.

shutterbug645

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

So I visited an ATT store yesterday to get this sorted out ... installed a new sim as well, just to see if that makes a difference. The rep at the store was clueless about HD voice but he did say that a lot of features like "these" require an "AT&T" branded phone to begin with. I would have to agree with Amir and cwise on this .. HD voice from AT&T on an unlocked, carrier unbranded MOTO X pure is currently NOT supported.

Just when you expect to get rid of the "locked" mess on the carrier phones, they still find a way to break your arm ;)

Thanks for pitching in with your replies..

Amir47

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I'm guessing AT&T just requires the phone be a AT&T branded phone in order to use VoLTE. I'm sure there is some radio settings or little bit of software from AT&T that turns it on and AT&T just does not give Motorola access to those radio settings or software. Carriers still exert some influence in that area when it comes to unlocked phones.

Moto and Verizon have always been pretty close so it isn't too surprising that Verizon was ok with giving Moto the OK to use VoLTE.

I was under the same assumption but a rep online told me differently when I asked about it.
I'm skeptical though.

Anybody have a unlocked phone from a different carrier that is on AT&T's HD VOICE list to try?
Here's the list:
LG G4
LG V10
Iphones 6 and 6s plus and regular
HTC A9
HTM M9
HTC Desire 626
HTC Desire Eye
Note 5
Note edge
Galaxy S5, S5 active, S6, S6 edge, S6 active, S6 Edge+
Lumia 950
G Flex 2
BB Priv
Lumia 640 XL
LG escape 2

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site

So I visited an ATT store yesterday to get this sorted out ... installed a new sim as well, just to see if that makes a difference. The rep at the store was clueless about HD voice but he did say that a lot of features like "these" require an "AT&T" branded phone to begin with. I would have to agree with Amir and cwise on this .. HD voice from AT&T on an unlocked, carrier unbranded MOTO X pure is currently NOT supported.

Just when you expect to get rid of the "locked" mess on the carrier phones, they still find a way to break your arm ;)

Thanks for pitching in with your replies..

A post I made earlier in the PRIV forums.

Yeah. I think at&t allows unlocked devices to use Enhanced LTE services but it looks like they have to be certified. This means, and i'm guessing, it's been left up to the manufactures to have their unlocked devices approved by at&t before they have access to enhanced LTE services. HTC decided to jump the hoops. Still wish at&t had an open door policy with E-LTE like TMo.

HTC has done this with the A9. Quote from the network compatibility page from HTC. See Below.

"Unlocked devices usually don't support services such as Voice over LTE (VoLTE), Wi-Fi Calling, Mobile Hotspot and LTE Carrier Aggregation. Does the HTC One A9 Unlocked edition support those services?

Yes, unlike other mobile phone manufacturers, HTC is proud to offer the best user experience to our customers. We support Voice Services over LTE (VoLTE), Wi-Fi Calling, Mobile Hotspot and Carrier Aggregation. Our HTC One A9 has been built from the ground up for the North America customers and wireless networks."

I spoke with an owner of an unlocked a9 on at&t they they confirmed they have Enhanced LTE services and VoLTE. They were even prompted by the phone to get a new SIM from at&t. I'm guessing the sim was too old to support Enhanced LTE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki