Music keeps randomly pausing

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
For a while I thought this was related to the Bluetooth issues I've been having since updating to Marshmallow (I still haven't tried a system restore... I will eventually), but today it happened while I wasn't connected to Bluetooth...

While I'm listening to music, ever since the Marshmallow update, randomly, for no apparent reason, the music will pause. This happens on Google Play Music, Spotify and Howl.FM (a podcast app). It may happen elsewhere but these are the only music apps I use on a regular basis to notice it. If I hit play it starts right back up. It's not freezing or anything... Just pausing. No notifications or anything are happening that could be causing it. And some days it happens more than others... Sometimes I can get through a dozen songs, sometimes it happens a dozen times in one song.

Like I said I thought it was part of the Bluetooth issue but it just happened just listening on the built in speakers.

Any ideas other than doing that annoying System Restore? Haha.

n8prkr

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I experience this issue, but only in my office building. According to my battery history details the cell reception at my office is terrible. I attribute the pausing to slow data.

Posted via the Android Central App

Shimon Mor

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I experience this issue, but only in my office building. According to my battery history details the cell reception at my office is terrible. I attribute the pausing to slow data.

Posted via the Android Central App

Do you have any music stored locally on the device? If so, trying playing those songs and see if the pausing occurs. I agree with the post above claiming it's a "slow data" issue.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately no, the issue also happens with music that is locally stored and/or podcasts I've saved for offline listening.

Shimon Mor

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately no, the issue also happens with music that is locally stored and/or podcasts I've saved for offline listening.

In that case it's probably some app causing audio to pause. This will require some troubleshooting unless someone else has experienced this and found the offending app. Download "System Monitor" or "OS Monitor" or a similar app that shows what processes are running. Wait for the problem to occur and then run the app and turn music back on and wait for it to happen again while monitoring what process is activated when the pausing occurs and the disable any apps that may be suspect and see if the problem persists.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Does it pause and resume?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Does it pause and resume?

Yes, it pauses and all I normally have to do is his play and it will resume. That's if the bluetooth doesn't disconnect altogether, which is a separate, worse, more annoying issue that's come up since Marshmallow.

But yea, it stops as in pausing, and i just have to hit play.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
My guess is that there's an app interrupting the playback.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I need to test more, I've only gotten to try for like a half hour, but so far so good... And generally phone performance is back to 100% like it was before the update. So I think it might be good...

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I have had the same issue appear a couple of times since the update but usually relaunching whatever music app I was using at the time tends to make the problem go away. So far I have only had issues with Google Play All Access but that's the only app I use for music, I was honestly thinking it had something to do with one of the updates to GPA.

Dunc

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen the problem with music (probably because I have no downloaded music on my Moto X Pure), but I'm seeing it daily over bluetooth with Podcasts. It has been driving me nuts! And it is only since upgrading to Marshmallow.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
So here's the weird thing guys. Since wiping 5 days ago, the issue has happened literally ONE time. Which is much, much better than 20 times per drive haha. But I can't say it's 100% fixed. And it never happened pre-Marshmallow. Regardless, I'm glad I did the system Restore. It's made things much better, and all my stuff is reinstalled

Kat Be

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
So here's the weird thing guys. Since wiping 5 days ago, the issue has happened literally ONE time. Which is much, much better than 20 times per drive haha. But I can't say it's 100% fixed. And it never happened pre-Marshmallow. Regardless, I'm glad I did the system Restore. It's made things much better, and all my stuff is reinstalled

Kat Be

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Glad to know I'm not the only one this is happening to! But here's the thing, I'm still running kitkat! I have a rooted Note4 & this has been going on since maybe the end of March or beginning of April & it's driving me nuts! So any other thoughts on what may be causing this other than marshmallow? I've tried turning off all background apps with greenify. Or the app cleaner broom thing when I open my apps. It doesn't matter what I'm streaming with - pandora, Iheartradio, local music on my phone.....bluetooth or plugged in. Sometimes it does it after a half hour, sometimes after a minute! There's no rhyme nor reason!

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I use Rocket Player on mine for local music, and stream Pandora, and never have any issues with BT or the phone pausing....

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I use Bluetooth in my cars. I have an hour commute both ways. I constantly stream audio from Google Play Music or Pocket Casts.

I do not experience the behavior you describe.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar