Is Moto X 2014 battery life that bad? And it's still worth it in 2014?

A

AC Question

Hey guys,
I want to buy a new normal-sized phone running stock android with good hardware. My best result was Moto X from 2014.
I heard it's a very good phone but its battey is very poor. Can I get a full day with it with moderate usage (1 hour of gaming and a bit of texting)?
My next question is if this phone is still worth it. I found as newer alternatives the Moto G 2015 (too cheap) or the Nexus 5X (too costy and big phone) which I just don't like. Do you recommend any other android phones for me or is the Moto X the best buy for me right now?
Thanks in advance.

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,
I want to buy a new normal-sized phone running stock android with good hardware. My best result was Moto X from 2014.
I heard it's a very good phone but its battey is very poor. Can I get a full day with it with moderate usage (1 hour of gaming and a bit of texting)?
My next question is if this phone is still worth it. I found as newer alternatives the Moto G 2015 (too cheap) or the Nexus 5X (too costy and big phone) which I just don't like. Do you recommend any other android phones for me or is the Moto X the best buy for me right now?
Thanks in advance.

Not sure how much you can pick one up for at the moment but I'll assume it's quite cheap now. I've had one since November 2014 and I'm still happy with its performance a year and a half later. The battery isn't the best though, that's for sure. I go to work for 8 hours and many times by the end of my shift my battery is nearly dead, and all ive done is sent a few messages and done a bit of surfing. Another problem that some users have (including me) is the battery dying even though it says youve got some juice left. I've had mine die when it said I'd got 30% battery left!!! That's getting annoying now. Also the camera is annoying. It can take some good photos, but alot of the time it refuses to focus, especially when photographing something up close. Even trying to manually focus doesn't work, I'm not just relying on the auto focus. Apart from those two things this is a great phone, just depends if you can put up with the battery and the camera

Posted via the Android Central App

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't classify the battery as very poor. It's moderate. Depending on the games you play, you should be able to make it a full day with some gaming and texting. Aside from that, yes, it's a great phone. No it's not the fastest, doesn't have expandable storage, and the camera is only good in bright light, but I love its customization, Moto Actions, and the fact that it's essentially stock Android. None of Moto's software additions seem superfluous, which is a rarity in non-Nexus phones now.

Also, one you experience the joy of Moto Display, you'll never want to switch a phone without it. I can't tell you how often I've waved my hand over my Nexus 7 only to remember (with disappointment) that it's not going to show me any notifications without tapping the power button first. :p

Burro Brillo

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
I've also had the phone since Nov '14 and have got the most part loved it (also is my first smartphone). Battery has never been an issue. Usually unplug around 6a and plug in around 10p.

I use a very dark home screen background, only use Bluetooth and location services when needed. Moderate user but also game on occasion. Only time battery has run low is when playing heavy games (Xon, the Room) for 2-3 hrs at the end of the day. Have streamed hours of Netflix via Wi-Fi with no prob. But again moderate user and strict about what i run.

Do also love the kinetic features (chop light, twist cam, wave notifications) things you shouldn't have to look at your phone to activate. other phones don't seem to have these, which is lunacy. I find the wave-to-silence feature a bit too exacting.

The camera is not great in low light but you can get a little more out of it if you move the focus point to a darker portion of the frame. Not great for moving shots either. Also the built in gallery app has a really decent editor. There's a thread here on just the camera.

Draw backs include no new updates, lollipop is it. Have also had the moto voice recognition activate itself from ambient noise a few times. Also it sometimes doesn't pick up the Wi-Fi signals automatically, I've had to swipe down to sort of remind it. Not having to manually turn it on but just check it and then it picks up the memorized signal. Not sure if others have had that prob. Have noticed these mostly after the last lollipop update

Lastly have been pleased at the compatibility and functionality of the screen casting. My (2-3 yo) Samsung picks it up without a Chromecast or anything like that, though the interface has seemed a bit more finicky since the lollipop upgrade.

Oh and go with the 32G storage (or more if available) if you do get the phone.

Hope it helps.

david61983

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Good phone but battery and camera were craps for me. It couldn't hold a charge after 8 months so I got rid of it and replaced it with an S5 which is much better.

anon(9029232)

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I have gotten 6 hours of screen on time on my Moto X. But I normally get about 3.5 hours

Posted via the Moto X Pure (2nd Gen.) running CM13 w/ Nova Prime & Xposed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude