Moto X 2014 Microphone failure in speakerphone mode

godbones

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
Greetings- I'm new to the group. I have a Moto X 2nd gen. My microphone will not function while in speakerphone mode. This is the upper microphone ( I do know there are 4). When in normal call mode the voice is picked up from the lower microphone (or so that's what I'm concluding). When in speaker phone it is the upper microphone. My wife has the exact same phone and I checked this out with hers to verify. Things that have been done:

-ensure no block from tape/dust/etc. in holes for microphones. I have replaced the LCD on the phone so I'm very aware of what's going on inside. The speaker worked fine after the LCD replacement. I certainly have considered that had something to do with the problem.
-cleared all caches, in apps and global
-booted in safe mode
-did factory reset multiple times (last time without using previous app/user profiles-all factory)
-took it apart multiple times to ensure all connections were as they should be, included removing the mother board. Couldn't find anything unusual.

I've read that there have been software issues that could be causing this. I'm really trying to determine whether I've got a hardware or a software problem. It really points to software, but I've read everything that exists on the internet and done everything that I can find and no luck. There seem to be others that have had this problem and the suggestion is that it's something to do with Moto Voice and OK Google. Oddly it does seem that it hears my voice from the upper microphone when I use OK Google. I've whispered into the upper mic and it has recognized me. But when in the phone app as soon as I put it on speaker, no sound. I've tried disabling the OK Google and Moto Voice, with various configurations of each, as it's been suggested they conflict, but again, no luck.

Very frustrated. Hope someone might have ideas . Thanks.