Woke up to the SD-Card-Not-Readable-Problem

Restav

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm running a non-rooted, Moto X Play with 6.0.1 Android with 32GB class 10 SanDisk SD card formatted as internal.

It worked perfectly for months after purchase. A few days ago I woke up to the SD problem, where the Phone doesn't recognize the SD Card. I haven't cliked the "forget" button since it might kill all the info I have on the SD.

After restarting the phone it works OK for several hours. It might randomly get the popup the error. I can constantly replicate it by connecting the phone to the wall-charger, the one that came with the phone. I'm restarting the phone every morning for it to work ok during the day. But on the last 2 days it popped the error randomly during the day.

I found lots of posts with the description of the error. But not a single one with a definite solution to this.

A couple of questions:

1. Is there a definite solution for it?. What is it?.

2. Is the SD card being damaged by the phone?. Or is it just a software issue?.

3. Will getting a new SD card solve the issue?.

4. If I format the next SD card as external... will I be able to runn apps (games) from there without performance issues?.

5. Might a factory reset of the phone do the trick?.

Thank you,

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
SanDisk, huh? You paid a little more - but you get so much more.

Go to SanDisk microSD Tech Support. (Upper right corner for live chat.) They'll walk you through it and, if the card is defective, tell you how to return it for a new one. They stand behind their products. (And no, I've never worked for them, I just like a good company.)

Restav

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
In another topic, you post about the "internal formatting" to be a band aid... should I format the faulty "internal" SD as an external storage?. If so, can I have apps in there and run them normally?.
I don't mind losing the info in the SD Card, since all photos backup in dropbox, and I can reinstall all the apps since they all have could saving and I wont lose progress in the games.

If so, how do I do it?... just "forget" the sd card, and then formatting again?
Thanks.

Restav

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
I think I solved it. Did two things:

1. I found a corrupted video in the SD card. I deleted it. How did I know it was corrupted. I ordered my Dropbox app to backup all photos. It kept crashing at the same video popping up the non-read SD card error. I searched for that video and deleted it.

2. I cleaned the golden things from the SD card with a Q-tip and alcohol, let it air dry for a few minutes then back in.

So far I wasn't able to replicate the error. So this might be a solution.