SCREEN PATTERN LOCK - HELP! What can i do if i have forgotten my pattern!?

SilverRocket88

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
HEY, CAN SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!?

Ok so yesterday night i decided to set a new screen lock pattern for my Moto X (2nd Gen). The problem is i have forgotten it and i can't get back into my phone!

How many attempts do i have before something happens? Because i have a slight feeling i know roughly what the pattern is so i don't mind having to keep trying even if i have to wait 30 seconds now each time i get it wrong.... (I have had about 23 attempts so far...)

After looking this up online via a google search and delving into some forum posts i have tried using the ADM (Android Device Manager) method of remotely locking the phone from another device and then setting a new password so that it overrides the pattern lock system and lets me log in via that, no luck there.... It just says ""Since Google has verified that a screen lock is already set, the password that you entered won't be needed."

Any suggestions???

I am running the latest Android software, Marshmallow.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Bring the phone - along with a photo ID proving that the account is yours - to your carrier. If they want to be nice, then can remove the pattern lock.

SilverRocket88

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Bring the phone - along with a photo ID proving that the account is yours - to your carrier. If they want to be nice, then can remove the pattern lock.

Really?? I don't think it will be as easy as that.... On top of that, I didn't even get the phone from my network provider, i just have a sim only deal with them.

Saying that, i guess it's worth a try so i might try going into one of their stores and see what they say!

SilverRocket88

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm still trying to sort it!..... I think i might just have to bite the bullet and factory reset the device as it's starting to get a bit frustrating now :(

It seems as though the only possible way around it is if you had USB debugging enabled on the device and then are methods available to get round the issue. The problems is, i don't think i do have it enabled! (and i can't check as i'm locked out the device!)

Last edited:

SilverRocket88

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey.

This is just a follow-up message to let you know (and any observers of this thread) that i ended up doing a hard reset on my phone as all other methods didn't work. I'm pretty sure that one of the major factors as to why i couldn't get round the screen lock issue is because i didn't have USB debugging enabled, even so it proved difficult to find a solution as Android have tight security measures in place, and rightly so!

I spoke to Motorola and they advised me that this was the only option to fix my issue of a 'forgotten screen lock'. So i proceeded with the instructions given to me by the Motorola support team and i reset my phone.

All in all, I'm just glad to have my phone up and running again!

perdom

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Well here another victim. I don't understand people saying: I had to reset my phone, I lost my info, but thanks Google you are great, I love you! Pathetic! What is the point of "Since Google has verified that a screen lock is already set, the password you entered won't be needed."? So, I have access to the google account but still can't unlock the phone.. maybe the desition maker thought on a use case where the user was kidnapped by the mafia. C'mon, wake up. I really can't understand an update sets a password to my phone ( the one I paid ) and locks it. It was a conscious desition leaving it open, unlocked. No naked movies here and my banking applicatiions had already passwords. I think hard reset under this circumstances is equal to leaving google and android. Thoughts?

vickymnt

Jun 25, 2017
Visit site
I am very angry indeed with Google!!! :mad:

I am convinced now that Google won't mind at all of what we write but I have to express myself somewhere.
Suddenly, my mobile stopped recognizing my own fingerprints, as if I changed fingers, and it even did not accept my pattern!!
I am locked out of my OWN phone even though I KNOW MY OWN gmail account and password which could be used to unlock it. But one day Google decided that the credentials which are used to enter our gmail account are not enough to prove our identity. (perhaps, later we will be asked by Google for DNA test to prove who we are!!)

It is UNACCEPTABLE of Google not to permit ME TO UNLOCK MY OWN PHONE through my google account.
What kind of security is that?
Now, the only solution is to use recovery mode and erase all my data including my photos.
Of course, after all these, I will leave my phone completely unlocked and if someone steals it, I won't mind.
The suffering all these hours is more than even if it is ever stolen.

I think Google has overdone with things concerning security!!

MERCY US...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MOSHE TVITO