Moto X4 Android One Vs Pixel 2

miniracer2003

Aug 16, 2017
Visit site
I grew board after a couple months with my Pixel 2 due to it's lack of personality. While it is a very high performer in essentially all categories, I began to wonder if it's price we're truly justifiable.

I have always had a soft spot for Moto phones since my first flip phone and smart phone we're both Motorola products, the later being the Droid Razr M on Verizon. I decided to give the Moto X4 a try when Project Fi offered it for $250 with a $80 service credit after activation and here are my thoughts after four days of use.

Build quality: Definitely a high build quality with the use of quality materials. Moto seems to have copied HTC's glass effect, though possibly with a different method than the pigment impregnation of the glass back. The phone feels weighty, though very slick. It is actually quite difficult to hold on handed without a case because it literally slides down my fingers. Overall, build quality easily matches Pixel 2.

Speaker: While the X4 only has one speaker, the quality of the sound is superior to the Pixel 2. The Pixel 2 had a harsh quality at anything above 50% in my experience. The X4 actually has a deeper and better tuned sound that enables me to hear more detail at a louder volume than the Pixel 2. In fact, I can hear a podcast through my X4 better while in the shower than I could with the Pixel 2.

Display: I have seen a few reviews about poor or mediocre display visibility in sunlight, but I haven't had that experience at all. The display is both bright and clear with excellent saturation on normal display settings. While technically lower resolution than the Pixel 2, the difference is imperceptible.

Performance: here is possibly one of the two most obvious differences from the Pixel 2. The Snapdragon 630 in the X4 is noticably slower than the 835 in the Pixel 2. It is not frustratingly slower, just noticable. I have not had ANY issues with performance with either phone so I hesitate to say the more expensive Pixel 2 is worth the extra money for this reason alone. I can literally do everything I did with the Pixel 2 with the X4.

Camera: The X4 camera is, hands down, inferior to the Pixel 2. The lack of OIS is blatantly obvious. With that said, the camera tuning from Moto is respectable because I can actually get pretty good pictures with the X4. Better, in fact, than I was able to achieve with the Moto Z2 (putrid product, btw). While the Pixel 2 camera had excellent performance and legitimately good added features, the extra features in the X4 camera app are more surprisingly impressive than the Pixel 2. In everyday life, the X4 camera features are more satisfying to use.

Charging and battery life: battery life for both is comparable. Charging speeds are a whole different ball game. The Pixel 2 crawled to 100% as far as flagship phones are concerned, but the X4 flies! This comparison is with both phones using their OEM included chargers. The one shortfall of the X4 is that it tends to get quite hot while turbo charging.

Call quality: Using both phones on Project Fi in Raleigh, NC, neither phone had reception issues of any sort. The main difference is that the X4 speaker is superior and allows me to hear the other person much more clearly than the Pixel 2. Other than that, there are no perceptible differences. Both switch seamlessly between carriers and WiFi and both utilize VoLTE very well.

Bonus: The X4 can connect to four different Bluetooth devices at the same time which is pretty awesome and unexpected for a mid range phone.

Finally, my person preferences led me to choose the X4 over the Pixel 2. It can do 9/10 of what the Pixel 2 can and at a far lower price. That's all I can think of for now, but if anyone has questions about the X4 please don't hesitate to ask.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
In fact, I can hear a podcast through my X4 better while in the shower than I could with the Pixel 2.
Interesting review, since I recently bought a Pixel 2. My only comment is about having any phone in a steamed-up bathroom. Only a totally waterproof phone can withstand even a moderate amount of steam. IP67 or IP68 isn't steam-resistant, so don't complain if the phone starts failing due to interior corrosion due to water.

I agree with the harshness of the Pixel 2 at higher volumes. I thought it was just me.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Great review and comparison!

In the age of $700-$1000 smartphones, it's nice to know that the low-end is good enough for a lot of situations.

miniracer2003

Aug 16, 2017
Visit site
Thanks Ryan,

That was my whole motivation for writing this comparison. I'm tired of absurd pricing for small handheld cellular devices. It seems the return on investment materially declines with each step up in pricing/Snapdragon class.

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the review! I have also been incredibly impressed by the Moto X4 and think it is more than enough phone for me. in fact, I sold an iPhone 8plus to buy the Moto. the iPhone is seriously overpriced and I'm very happy with my Moto.

leetrevor81

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
I also went from Pixel 2 to Moto X4. I think the only noticeable advantages to pixel 2 off the top of my head is processor speed and camera.

Processor speed is important, but after about 2 days, you stop thinking about it. I'm sure the X4 can play 99% of popular games if that is a concern too.

I don't know much about photography, but I bet the Pixel 2 camera is a lot better, but if you just want a camera for social media, taking pictures of documents etc Moto X4 is fine! However at the same time the X4 has some fun tricks to play with even if it isn't perfect at them. It can still take portrait shots, it can take wide angle shots, it has some silly filters and a cool 'spot colour feature' where you touch a colour and it only shows that colour in the picture.

Also on top of the near stock android are features that are actually really handy. The one button navigation if you don't want virtual buttons taking up real estate, moto key which saves entering passwords, twist to capture, chop for flashlight and moto voice.

If speed, great photos and quick updates are important go with the pixel 2.

If you want to save a lot of money, have extra features, some really useful gestures, and an eye catching build go for the moto x4

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if the Android One version of the X4 works on Verizon? If so, I'm trying to understand why someone would get the normal X4 vs the Android One edition. Thanks.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know if the Android One version of the X4 works on Verizon? If so, I'm trying to understand why someone would get the normal X4 vs the Android One edition. Thanks.
It does work on Verizon. As to why someone would choose the regular X4? Maybe they like the Moto features of the regular one versus the Android one version.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
It does work on Verizon. As to why someone would choose the regular X4? Maybe they like the Moto features of the regular one versus the Android one version.
Thanks. I guess that's what I'm trying to understand. I just got an X4, but haven't powered it on yet. I'm trying to understand if I should have gotten the Android One version instead.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I guess that's what I'm trying to understand. I just got an X4, but haven't powered it on yet. I'm trying to understand if I should have gotten the Android One version instead.
I hope you like your new device. I really do. I haven't had any issues with it thus far. I will day this, from what I have read and videos I have watched, it seems that people go into the experience with this device with preconceived notions. I believe they feel that because it is a budget smartphone that it won't be as good. They couldn't be more wrong about this device.

Inundated

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
As I mentioned in the other thread, the X4 AndroidOne version works perfectly on Verizon. Just put in the SIM and you're off to the races (even on Verizon prepaid)

In fact, I am using it right now to post this message, while it's upgrading to 9.0 in the background.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I grew board after a couple months with my Pixel 2 due to it's lack of personality. While it is a very high performer in essentially all categories, I began to wonder if it's price we're truly justifiable.

I have always had a soft spot for Moto phones since my first flip phone and smart phone we're both Motorola products, the later being the Droid Razr M on Verizon. I decided to give the Moto X4 a try when Project Fi offered it for $250 with a $80 service credit after activation and here are my thoughts after four days of use.

Build quality: Definitely a high build quality with the use of quality materials. Moto seems to have copied HTC's glass effect, though possibly with a different method than the pigment impregnation of the glass back. The phone feels weighty, though very slick. It is actually quite difficult to hold on handed without a case because it literally slides down my fingers. Overall, build quality easily matches Pixel 2.

Speaker: While the X4 only has one speaker, the quality of the sound is superior to the Pixel 2. The Pixel 2 had a harsh quality at anything above 50% in my experience. The X4 actually has a deeper and better tuned sound that enables me to hear more detail at a louder volume than the Pixel 2. In fact, I can hear a podcast through my X4 better while in the shower than I could with the Pixel 2.

Display: I have seen a few reviews about poor or mediocre display visibility in sunlight, but I haven't had that experience at all. The display is both bright and clear with excellent saturation on normal display settings. While technically lower resolution than the Pixel 2, the difference is imperceptible.

Performance: here is possibly one of the two most obvious differences from the Pixel 2. The Snapdragon 630 in the X4 is noticably slower than the 835 in the Pixel 2. It is not frustratingly slower, just noticable. I have not had ANY issues with performance with either phone so I hesitate to say the more expensive Pixel 2 is worth the extra money for this reason alone. I can literally do everything I did with the Pixel 2 with the X4.

Camera: The X4 camera is, hands down, inferior to the Pixel 2. The lack of OIS is blatantly obvious. With that said, the camera tuning from Moto is respectable because I can actually get pretty good pictures with the X4. Better, in fact, than I was able to achieve with the Moto Z2 (putrid product, btw). While the Pixel 2 camera had excellent performance and legitimately good added features, the extra features in the X4 camera app are more surprisingly impressive than the Pixel 2. In everyday life, the X4 camera features are more satisfying to use.

Charging and battery life: battery life for both is comparable. Charging speeds are a whole different ball game. The Pixel 2 crawled to 100% as far as flagship phones are concerned, but the X4 flies! This comparison is with both phones using their OEM included chargers. The one shortfall of the X4 is that it tends to get quite hot while turbo charging.

Call quality: Using both phones on Project Fi in Raleigh, NC, neither phone had reception issues of any sort. The main difference is that the X4 speaker is superior and allows me to hear the other person much more clearly than the Pixel 2. Other than that, there are no perceptible differences. Both switch seamlessly between carriers and WiFi and both utilize VoLTE very well.

Bonus: The X4 can connect to four different Bluetooth devices at the same time which is pretty awesome and unexpected for a mid range phone.

Finally, my person preferences led me to choose the X4 over the Pixel 2. It can do 9/10 of what the Pixel 2 can and at a far lower price. That's all I can think of for now, but if anyone has questions about the X4 please don't hesitate to ask.
I agree with your assessment. I believe that the X4 is a great device and what makes it even greater is that it costs a lot less than other flagships. I bought mine from Google Fi for $149. And it is as good as most flagship smartphones I have tried. I haven't had any issues or hiccups since owning the X4. I'm really impressed with the X4.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt