Any opinions after using for a while?

pdarrah

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I am looking at the Moto X4 as a Christmas present for my son, but would love to see some real-world opinions from someone who has been using it as their phone for a couple weeks.

I realize that this isn't a flagship level phone, but my son is currently using a Galaxy S4 so I'm thinking it has to be an improvement. He is a college freshman and the only requests he has made is that he does NOT want another Samsung (he doesn't like all the Samsung modification to plain android) and he does NOT want anything much bigger than his current phone. The size thing is nearly impossible - it seams like everything is bigger than the 5.0", 1080 x 1920 pixels of the S4.

I have been using Motorola phones for years (Droid X, Razr M, Droid Turbo) so I know the Android implementation is pretty clean and the Motorola specific features are mostly good additions.

Although it has never been an issue, I would love for him to have the IP68 water resistance. He isn't all that in to photos (not big on social media stuff) so a top of the line camera isn't necessary - just something that he can get the occasional snapshot (most often he's taking pictures of a whiteboard in class, a sign or something he needs to remember and not "real" photographs!)

The Moto X4 is looking like a good option on paper - I would just like to have some real world feedback before making a final decision!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't have an X4 myself, but if you get it from the Moto website, you have 14 days to return it. That should be more than enough time to decide.

Not sure if any carriers are getting the X4. Would be nice....I'm due for an upgrade.

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I've used it for a week, coming from a Moto X Pure. So far I love it, battery life is great and the fingerprint sensor is very handy since you can use it for navigation and can get rid of the home, back and apps buttons on the screen.
Only drawback is lack of adaptive storage with a SD card, which means only about 16 GBs for apps.
Great build quality. Take a shot, he'll like it.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've used it for a week, coming from a Moto X Pure. So far I love it, battery life is great and the fingerprint sensor is very handy since you can use it for navigation and can get rid of the home, back and apps buttons on the screen.
Only drawback is lack of adaptive storage with a SD card, which means only about 16 GBs for apps.
Great build quality. Take a shot, he'll like it.
Ouch at 16 GB. I think there is an adb command that can force adopted storage. Not sure if I would do that myself though. At least not on my daily driver.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
As far as I know the SD card on the X4 can't be used as adoptable storage, even with adb tricks. This feature is not compatible with File-based Encryption, used in this phone.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
This is my biggest disappointment with the X4. Only 16gb of storage available out of the box is very tight, even if you use the SD card for media files.

Last edited:

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
This is my biggest disappointment with the X4. Only 16gb of storage available out of the box is very tight, even if you use the SD card for media files.

There is one bright side, I'm looking at what apps I really use on a regular basis, I've reduced a few that I had from my X Pure. Kind of like a fall app cleaning.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand what's wrong. What's taking up so much space? 64gb model has only about 45gb available? Its making no sense.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand what's wrong. What's taking up so much space? 64gb model has only about 45gb available? Its making no sense.

I've read that google doubled the OS (parts A & B), in order to make "seamless" updates or some such drivel.

Last edited:

turbo93

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
We do some Android development at work and the Windows based tools are laughably huge, as are the development images (6-8 gb). This is for embedded real time control systems. QNX and Linux images are a lot smaller.

If a 32gb phone is only left with 16gb out the door that is an issue...

adamgilcrist

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
Hey! In my opinion, this is the best phone in this budget I have used. The main thing I like in this is their hardware compatibility with the software and its touch as well. Recently, I have suggested the same to my friend when he asked me for some suggestion on latest phones.

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Since it is well after the Holidays you undoubtedly made your choice :)

TL;DR Best mid-range phone early 2018.

I thought I would post since I just went through the same decisions. There are definitely lots of mid-range phones, but I think Moto does them better than any other manufacturer, with their combination of solid hardware and clean Android builds. They also offer genuinely useful additions like chop-chop for flashlight and doorknob-twist for camera.

As of today, the X4 is on sale at Moto and most of the online retailers making it a very good value. The Moto Z2 Play is also on sale at this moment for the same price and that makes for an even tougher decision.

Moto X4
-newer Snapdragon SoC (630 vs. 626 on Z2 Play)
-faster LTE (more future proof)
-IP68 water resistant
-dual cameras with some nifty (maybe also gimmicky) features
-LCD screen (actually higher pixel density, especially for red and blue vs. pentile AMOLED plus no risk of screen burn on LCD)
-bluetooth 5 plus ability to stream audio to 4 speakers simultaneously
-likely to get Oreo faster
-smaller size (5.2 vs. 5.5) but same screen resolution
-looks nicer
-higher resolution selfie camera

Moto Z2
-AMOLED screen with those inky blacks
-reportedly longer battery life (although this may not prove true since both have same size battery)
-laser and dual pixel autofocus
-Metal back (vs glass on X4)
-slightly larger size (if you like that)
-support for Moto mods
-4 GB of RAM vs 3gb on X4
-64 GB of storage vs 32 on X4

For me the benefits of the X4 outweighed the mods. I have been using the X4 for a few days and have been very impressed. It is a good phone, full stop. Considering the cost, it is a great phone! The LCD screen is very good in almost all light conditions, only falling a little at night when the LCD black (dark dark grey) can't match AMOLED. Speed is decent launching a collection of apps about as fast as flagships. Games seem to run fine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol