New message notifications/indicator on messages icon

czervik85

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to get an indicator for new messages to show up on the messages icon. I know that there is a notification in the notification bar/tray but that's just not always as obvious to me that I have a new message especially if there are a lot of notifications.

I'm talking about a dot on the messages icon that shows up only when there are new unread messages. Would be even better if it showed a new message count.

I should also say I'm using the stock moto launcher. I do like it. I think nova launcher offers the feature I'm looking for but don't really want to change launchers.

Are my options to get the feature I'm looking for to either change my default messaging app or launcher? I was hoping to avoid that.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Depends on the launcher you're using. Not sure if the stock Moto one supports badges or not, but if it doesn't, you can install a launcher that supports that, like Nova (might have to download the additional unread badge plugin). I know you're trying to avoid it, but that's about the only thing that can help.

You can also try to get a widget that displays the app icon and an unread counter, and that would help keep your app and launcher, but I'm not sure which widget would work like that. But that's the other route IF such a thing exists (and, this being a widget, would only be on your homescreen, not in the app list or app shortcut bar).

Robert Simmons2

Nov 3, 2017
Visit site
Is there a way to get an indicator for new messages to show up on the messages icon. I know that there is a notification in the notification bar/tray but that's just not always as obvious to me that I have a new message especially if there are a lot of notifications.

I'm talking about a dot on the messages icon that shows up only when there are new unread messages. Would be even better if it showed a new message count.

I should also say I'm using the stock moto launcher. I do like it. I think nova launcher offers the feature I'm looking for but don't really want to change launchers.

Are my options to get the feature I'm looking for to either change my default messaging app or launcher? I was hoping to avoid that.

Open

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool