WARNING!

Reed Swain

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Just in case you're interested in buying a Moto X4 from Google Fi be aware that they are not updating the operating system like they have in the past. I just got my new phone today and ran the update and it's still running 7.1.1. I'm just coming out of the old Nexus 5X and it was updated to 8.1.0! Evidently unless you buy a $600 or $700 phone they're just going to ignore you and act like you don't deserve to have the operating system. 😣

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
The last Moto X to get frequent updates was the original version made in 2013, when Google owned Moto. Since Lenovo bought Moto from Google, updates were no longer a priority.

HowardL168

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Just in case you're interested in buying a Moto X4 from Google Fi be aware that they are not updating the operating system like they have in the past. I just got my new phone today and ran the update and it's still running 7.1.1. I'm just coming out of the old Nexus 5X and it was updated to 8.1.0! Evidently unless you buy a $600 or $700 phone they're just going to ignore you and act like you don't deserve to have the operating system.
Yeah, I have the Moto Z Force and, while we did get 7 and 7.1 last year fairly timely, we just this week received the Oreo 8.0 update...6 months after it's been out. Since the phone is almost 2 years old, this is apparently the last update we'll get on the original Moto Z.

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why the Project Fi version of the X4 is getting slow updates. The regular unlocked version is being updated in a fairly speedy manner. it is on 8.1 and May security release as of June 21. Android One version is getting even faster updates (as one would expect). I have heard even the Amazon version is getting some love, although more slowly.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just in case you're interested in buying a Moto X4 from Google Fi be aware that they are not updating the operating system like they have in the past. I just got my new phone today and ran the update and it's still running 7.1.1. I'm just coming out of the old Nexus 5X and it was updated to 8.1.0! Evidently unless you buy a $600 or $700 phone they're just going to ignore you and act like you don't deserve to have the operating system. 😣

How do the rest of the Project Fi phones that aren't Nexus or Pixels phones compare?

..also, looking 4-5 months back in this forum, X4 Android One (the one for Project Fi) should be on Oreo already.

Reed Swain

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I have talked to Google and they promised me is one to two weeks that I would get the 8.1 update. I will come back here and let everyone know the final outcome is. if I posted the original warning too quickly sorry, but it's pretty disheartening when you get a replacement phone & it's got an older operating system.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have talked to Google and they promised me is one to two weeks that I would get the 8.1 update. I will come back here and let everyone know the final outcome is. if I posted the original warning too quickly sorry, but it's pretty disheartening when you get a replacement phone & it's got an older operating system.

Project Fi Android One Moto X4s have the Oreo update available.

Are you using it on Project Fi?

Reed Swain

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I have been with Project Fi for a couple of years now. I really like it. The service is fantastic and I like the phones. One of the things I like the most is the constant OS updates. When the new X4 arrived with 7.1.1 I was upset, because the Nexus 5X I was coming out of was running 8.1.0. I'm willing to be patient with the Fi team. If they say the update is coming, I trust them.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have been with Project Fi for a couple of years now. I really like it. The service is fantastic and I like the phones. One of the things I like the most is the constant OS updates. When the new X4 arrived with 7.1.1 I was upset, because the Nexus 5X I was coming out of was running 8.1.0. I'm willing to be patient with the Fi team. If they say the update is coming, I trust them.

Odd because Oreo is out for it.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Just in case you're interested in buying a Moto X4 from Google Fi be aware that they are not updating the operating system like they have in the past. I just got my new phone today and ran the update and it's still running 7.1.1. I'm just coming out of the old Nexus 5X and it was updated to 8.1.0! Evidently unless you buy a $600 or $700 phone they're just going to ignore you and act like you don't deserve to have the operating system. ??????

I would just caution one buying for google Fi, that just because their listed devices are "compatible," that doesn't mean that said device gets updates as fast as googles own. Shop accordingly with those expectations.

Reed Swain

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
This was not a compatible phone this came directly from Project Fi. I would agree that if you bring your own phone to the plan that you bought somewhere else then you shouldn't expect the Google is going to automatically give you every update.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
This was not a compatible phone this came directly from Project Fi. I would agree that if you bring your own phone to the plan that you bought somewhere else then you shouldn't expect the Google is going to automatically give you every update.

I know, I understood you purchased this device from project FI from your previous post. This is googles attempt at a network service to interrupt other providers. Just because you can buy a device through them, doesn't mean they are going to update that device like a PIX. I would expect the update to roll out for you as soon as Lenovo gives it a go. Besides, 7.1 isn't bad.

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Be careful what you wish for. My Moto X4 unlocked running on Sprint got 8.1 this past week and the battery life crapped the bed. I used to be at 50 to 60 percent after work starting with a full charge, now it's 25 to 35 percent. Very disappointed in Moto.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I bought the A1 X4 last month and within a few days it got 8.0 and then 8.1. Unfortunately 8.1 bricked data over the USB port unless you remove the LockScreen. Not knowing how long it would take to fix this I sent it back.

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I bought the A1 X4 last month and within a few days it got 8.0 and then 8.1. Unfortunately 8.1 bricked data over the USB port unless you remove the LockScreen. Not knowing how long it would take to fix this I sent it back.

My battery life has improved. Specifically, the amount of time the CPU spends in Deep Sleep has increased significantly with 8.1. With 8.0 there were often time a background process (not sure which one) would prevent the CPU from entering deep sleep but with 8.1 the phone seems to be behaving more normally.

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Be careful what you wish for. My Moto X4 unlocked running on Sprint got 8.1 this past week and the battery life crapped the bed. I used to be at 50 to 60 percent after work starting with a full charge, now it's 25 to 35 percent. Very disappointed in Moto.

The issue was battery optimization for all apps. Once I realized that and started using it, battery life returned to normal.
Now, something has happened where BO won't stay on. Once I leave it, it reverts to no apps battery optimized and my battery life has gone to crap again.
Very disappointing indeed.