Selective focus quietly removed?

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Did Moto quietly remove the selective focus feature from the camera app? It is still proudly highlighted on Moto's X4 product page but I cannot find it anywhere in the camera app...

Spot Color is still there, but not selective focus.

Am I crazy? Or it it really missing in action?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You mean long-press, move the camera and it keeps the focal length you set it to? (Not that I know about Lenovo's version of what was once Motorola's excellent phones, I was just curious.)

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Did Moto quietly remove the selective focus feature from the camera app? It is still proudly highlighted on Moto's X4 product page but I cannot find it anywhere in the camera app...

Spot Color is still there, but not selective focus.

Am I crazy? Or it it really missing in action?
The selective focus is only available for photos taken with the depth feature enabled. This option should be there when try to edit these photos with the depth/portrait editor.

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I saw those instructions but those are for the old camera app. the new Moto camera app removed the three dots menu on the view finder screen. Has anyone tried this in the new camera app and confirmed it works? I think it is gone....

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I saw those instructions but those are for the old camera app. the new Moto camera app removed the three dots menu on the view finder screen. Has anyone tried this in the new camera app and confirmed it works? I think it is gone....
What version do you have for the Moto Camera app? Have you tried opening a depth enabled photo from Google Photos (person icon) and then select Portrait Editor? This is what I get in the G5S+. Maybe things are different on the X4 but I haven't seen this issue reported before.IMG_20180913_191610.jpg

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
What version do you have for the Moto Camera app? Have you tried opening a depth enabled photo from Google Photos (person icon) and then select Portrait Editor? This is what I get in the G5S+. Maybe things are different on the X4 but I haven't seen this issue reported before.View attachment 290436

Camera version is 7.2.23.5

I don't have Depth Enabled photo as one of the camera modes (see screenshot) although spot Color and text scanner are there. When I look at a photo later in Google Photos the ability your screenshot shows is just not there.

Attachments

• 24816.jpg
    24816.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 9

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Camera version is 7.2.23.5

I don't have Depth Enabled photo as one of the camera modes (see screenshot) although spot Color and text scanner are there. When I look at a photo later in Google Photos the ability your screenshot shows is just not there.
Same version here. The depth feature is called 'Portrait'. Enable it on the camera app, take a couple of pictures, open the last one with the photo icon bottom right, tap the edit button, select Portrait Editor and see what options you get.

IMG_20180913_194852.jpg