08-03-2016 08:57 AM
38 12
tools
    To transmit wireless you have a transmitter and receiver across a gap of air as opposed to the way its done now holding two objects together. The wires at the transmitter would not count.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Are you inferring that it's conductive rather than inductive?

07-27-2016 09:56 PM
    Are you inferring that it's conductive rather than inductive?

I'm not inferring anything.... Just stating the obvious

07-27-2016 10:44 PM
    To transmit wireless you have a transmitter and receiver across a gap of air as opposed to the way its done now holding two objects together. The wires at the transmitter would not count.

While current wireless charging is short-ranged, it has nothing to do with "holding two objects together", and is unique from conductive charging. While longer range wireless charging could be sweet, the hope for it doesn't make inductive wireless charging irrelevant to everyone, and it doesn't mean it's a "myth" or "smoke and mirrors". How it works isn't a secret, and it does work without wires between the transmitter and receiver.
    ShinyTop likes this.
    07-28-2016 12:08 AM
    While current wireless charging is short-ranged, it has nothing to do with "holding two objects together", and is unique from conductive charging. While longer range wireless charging could be sweet, the hope for it doesn't make inductive wireless charging irrelevant to everyone, and it doesn't mean it's a "myth" or "smoke and mirrors". How it works isn't a secret, and it does work without wires between the transmitter and receiver.
    I understand perfectly how it works but you are still holding to objects together in its present form. You can call it wireless if you want but until you can separate the receiver and transmitter by a decent gap of air its not truly wireless.

07-28-2016 06:02 AM
    I understand perfectly how it works but you are still holding to objects together in its present form. You can call it wireless if you want but until you can separate the receiver and transmitter by a decent gap of air its not truly wireless.

Considering the lack of a wire connection, it is by definition wireless.
    07-28-2016 06:04 AM
    A cordless drill doesn't use wires to charge either but we don't call that wireless charging.

07-28-2016 10:06 AM

Picking some mighty fine nits there....

I think what you're trying to convey is practicality, or maybe more specifically, applicability.

Its pretty trivial to increase the power handling capability of the transmitter and receiver. The practicality of it, or applications for it, are pretty non-existent beyond radio or radar, which are specialized examples of wireless power transfer.

Just because this application is on a small scale to address convenience and connector wear and tear, doesn't change the nature of what is happening.

07-28-2016 10:07 AM
    A cordless drill doesn't use wires to charge either but we don't call that wireless charging.

Depends. I have both types. One with a removable battery that definitely utilizes contacts on its charger and in the drill. I also have sealed, inductive charging units.

While both drills are cordless, one is wireless, one is not.

YAYTech likes this.
    07-28-2016 10:12 AM
    So then you have an inductive charging unit which is what is everyone is referring to as wireless charging. Clever marketing at its best.

07-28-2016 10:48 AM
    Too clever, apparently.....

07-28-2016 11:00 AM
    So then you have an inductive charging unit which is what is everyone is referring to as wireless charging. Clever marketing at its best.

Technically all things are marketing, no? "Advanced calling", "Sprint Spark", "XLTE" -- So basically LTE (even though they all call it different names with their latest bands) with VoIP going through it? Let's not sit here and nitpick just to start a fuss by playing the semantics game .

While having actual wireless charging across the room would be nice -- it won't be that way for awhile to come. Technology has to advance. Either way I like coming home and plopping my Note 5 on the pad as I sit down and it just starts charging. Get a call? Pick up and go. Makes it easier / convenient for me at home.
    libra89 and Snareman like this.
    07-28-2016 04:13 PM
    Technically all things are marketing, no? "Advanced calling", "Sprint Spark", "XLTE" -- So basically LTE (even though they all call it different names with their latest bands) with VoIP going through it? Let's not sit here and nitpick just to start a fuss by playing the semantics game .

While having actual wireless charging across the room would be nice -- it won't be that way for awhile to come. Technology has to advance. Either way I like coming home and plopping my Note 5 on the pad as I sit down and it just starts charging. Get a call? Pick up and go. Makes it easier / convenient for me at home.
    Exactly
    07-29-2016 12:34 PM
    I would definitely miss the convenience of using my TyltView Qi wireless Charger.
    08-03-2016 08:57 AM
38 12