Bummer no wireless charging

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I just want to point out to you wireless charging fans that there is no such thing as wireless charging. Its a myth, a cheap magicians trick with smoke and mirrors. Only Telsa was able to transmit electricity without wires.

Posted via the Android Central App

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I just want to point out to you wireless charging fans that there is no such thing as wireless charging. Its a myth, a cheap magicians trick with smoke and mirrors. Only Telsa was able to transmit electricity without wires.

Well, Nikola must be crouched down next to my bed every night because I set my phone on the charger with no wires connected to the phone and when I wake it up its all charged. Now, there is a mirror next to the nightstand so maybe that's part of how it charges. Never smelled any smoke though... :confused:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, Nikola must be crouched down next to my bed every night because I set my phone on the charger with no wires connected to the phone and when I wake it up its all charged. Now, there is a mirror next to the nightstand so maybe that's part of how it charges. Never smelled any smoke though... :confused:

A part of me is injecting humor but reality is that it is not true wireless charging. You are still connected to wires and not transmitting electricity across an air gap. True wireless charging if someone ever figures out how to do it safely and efficiently would mean you phone would receive electricity over the air just like a cell signal. Wireless charging would impress me if my phone could sit in my pocket and be charged from across the room.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
A part of me is injecting humor but reality is that it is not true wireless charging. You are still connected to wires and not transmitting electricity across an air gap. True wireless charging if someone ever figures out how to do it safely and efficiently would mean you phone would receive electricity over the air just like a cell signal. Wireless charging would impress me if my phone could sit in my pocket and be charged from across the room.

Yes, I've heard that is theoretically coming some day. But, alas... there still likely has to be wires to power the source spreading the energy into the air right? Still not technically wireless. Now maybe if I could get a charge from a rock or some other object...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I've heard that is theoretically coming some day. But, alas... there still likely has to be wires to power the source spreading the energy into the air right? Still not technically wireless. Now maybe if I could get a charge from a rock or some other object...

To transmit wireless you have a transmitter and receiver across a gap of air as opposed to the way its done now holding two objects together. The wires at the transmitter would not count.

dkediger

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
To transmit wireless you have a transmitter and receiver across a gap of air as opposed to the way its done now holding two objects together. The wires at the transmitter would not count.

Are you inferring that it's conductive rather than inductive?

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

While current wireless charging is short-ranged, it has nothing to do with "holding two objects together", and is unique from conductive charging. While longer range wireless charging could be sweet, the hope for it doesn't make inductive wireless charging irrelevant to everyone, and it doesn't mean it's a "myth" or "smoke and mirrors". How it works isn't a secret, and it does work without wires between the transmitter and receiver.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
While current wireless charging is short-ranged, it has nothing to do with "holding two objects together", and is unique from conductive charging. While longer range wireless charging could be sweet, the hope for it doesn't make inductive wireless charging irrelevant to everyone, and it doesn't mean it's a "myth" or "smoke and mirrors". How it works isn't a secret, and it does work without wires between the transmitter and receiver.

I understand perfectly how it works but you are still holding to objects together in its present form. You can call it wireless if you want but until you can separate the receiver and transmitter by a decent gap of air its not truly wireless.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I understand perfectly how it works but you are still holding to objects together in its present form. You can call it wireless if you want but until you can separate the receiver and transmitter by a decent gap of air its not truly wireless.

Considering the lack of a wire connection, it is by definition wireless.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
A cordless drill doesn't use wires to charge either but we don't call that wireless charging.

dkediger

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site

Picking some mighty fine nits there....

I think what you're trying to convey is practicality, or maybe more specifically, applicability.

Its pretty trivial to increase the power handling capability of the transmitter and receiver. The practicality of it, or applications for it, are pretty non-existent beyond radio or radar, which are specialized examples of wireless power transfer.

Just because this application is on a small scale to address convenience and connector wear and tear, doesn't change the nature of what is happening.

dkediger

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
A cordless drill doesn't use wires to charge either but we don't call that wireless charging.

Depends. I have both types. One with a removable battery that definitely utilizes contacts on its charger and in the drill. I also have sealed, inductive charging units.

While both drills are cordless, one is wireless, one is not.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
So then you have an inductive charging unit which is what is everyone is referring to as wireless charging. Clever marketing at its best.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So then you have an inductive charging unit which is what is everyone is referring to as wireless charging. Clever marketing at its best.

Technically all things are marketing, no? "Advanced calling", "Sprint Spark", "XLTE" -- So basically LTE (even though they all call it different names with their latest bands) with VoIP going through it? Let's not sit here and nitpick just to start a fuss by playing the semantics game ;).

While having actual wireless charging across the room would be nice -- it won't be that way for awhile to come. Technology has to advance. Either way I like coming home and plopping my Note 5 on the pad as I sit down and it just starts charging. Get a call? Pick up and go. Makes it easier / convenient for me at home.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Technically all things are marketing, no? "Advanced calling", "Sprint Spark", "XLTE" -- So basically LTE (even though they all call it different names with their latest bands) with VoIP going through it? Let's not sit here and nitpick just to start a fuss by playing the semantics game ;).

While having actual wireless charging across the room would be nice -- it won't be that way for awhile to come. Technology has to advance. Either way I like coming home and plopping my Note 5 on the pad as I sit down and it just starts charging. Get a call? Pick up and go. Makes it easier / convenient for me at home.

Exactly

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae